Author Topic: sunday excersize !!  (Read 370 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
sunday excersize !!
« on: 10.07. 2017 10:56 »
Appears BSA , with terrific foresight knew that by the time we reach 67 physical acticity will be well down the list of things you'd call fun, enter the BSA a10 , lose a rear chain spring link 3/4's of a mile from home ,push the beast back in glorious sunshine and lose half a stone in the process ,hers a picture of her "sans rear chain" looking all shite and brinney ,unlike it's owner who was hiding against a tree getting my breath back.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: sunday excersize !!
« Reply #1 on: 10.07. 2017 11:03 »
3rd time lucky
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.07. 2017 12:24 »

Bob- I want some of what you're on- Yea surely can't just 'Lose' a spring link/circlip....I had a similar many years ago when I lost the clutch and when I found that and re fitted it, added the outer side plate, but forgot to put the circlip on...got about 30 miles or so down the road and  *pull hair out* *pull hair out*

After a while went back, and the circlip was right where I left it on the side of the road. Put it on and did the remaining 500 miles of the trip to Sydney and then back  (+650 miles) *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 10.07. 2017 12:24 »
 *smile*  How did the gearbox preform mate?  Or didn't you get into 4th before the chain let go?   *pull hair out*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.07. 2017 12:31 »
...looking all shite and brinney
I like that!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.07. 2017 13:53 »
like the bike topdad *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 19.07. 2017 12:59 »
Well finally got out last night for another shake down ride  anddddd she is officially out of the doghouse behaved perfectly ,gear still whines but can live with that ,in top really quiet
I 'd redone the rear wheel adjustment following some points raised here on another post  and that may have been the cause of the chain loss  ,did it this time with the back wheel on the round and a neighbour kindly sitting on the bike.
Net result was a big grin appearing on my mush after doing some nice bends ,I just hope theres still some more lovely weather to come ,fingers crossed ,once home it was followed by *beer*  *good3* :D :D
United Kingdom

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.07. 2017 15:26 »
How come the chain didn't hoon up into the primary and wreck it? Always does on mine (not done it to the A10 ... yet).
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 19.07. 2017 16:22 »
It was rear chain spring link CB ,i've only had one previous failure like this on a plunger again no damage done .  Plus I was only just moving from a junction ,low speed so it just neatly piled on the deck in the road as I coasted to the side of the road.
United Kingdom

Offline Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #9 on: 19.07. 2017 18:52 »
Last (and only) time I had a spring link fail i smugly opened the toolbox to retrieve my spare and then remembered I had given it to a mate a few weeks previously and not replaced it. Had a long trip home int he back of a truck. Ever since then I have kept a a spare spring link in the toolbox and my bike jacket pocket.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.07. 2017 09:01 »
It was rear chain spring link CB ,i've only had one previous failure like this on a plunger again no damage done .  Plus I was only just moving from a junction ,low speed so it just neatly piled on the deck in the road as I coasted to the side of the road.

Understood. On an MT500 ex army bike I had for a while after one of the bigger of my accidents (needed high bars) I felt a small lurch pulling away from a junction  one morning on my commute. Pulling over for inspection I found that the back plate on my split link and snapped through. Spring link side all still in place, so still holding things together, kind of.

Managed a further very delicately ridden 30 miles on that link. Got me to work and then home again. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza