Author Topic: Welding bicycles?  (Read 272 times)

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Welding bicycles?
« on: 14.08. 2017 13:18 »
I have a tandem which sports an ancient frame, possibly 30s. It has quite thin walled tubing and I’ve always kind of kidded myself that maybe it had some sporting pretentions. These days it is built up with modern 26” MTB rims, hub brakes and gears. Touring it at the weekend with my daughter in France we suffered a sudden catastrophic failure on a rack strut fixing at the rear. It has actually sheared the small bracket off the seat stay.

Now I don’t know what type of steel this could be, and I have heard that welding is no good for 531 (did they have 531 in the 30s ?). I’d like to make up a new bracket and probably get it brazed on. And so to the question:

Would I be best taking some kind of precautions on the amount of heat applied here? and on how best to allow it to cool (quenching etc)?

Thanks.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Zander

• A's Best Friend
Re: Welding bicycles?
« Reply #1 on: 14.08. 2017 17:17 »
I can put you in touch with a chap who is an expert in all aspects of cycles  ranging from antique to modern day.  I've used him for brazing etc., and he's good. Based in Dedham.
'59 GF

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.08. 2017 17:41 »
Dedham Essex? That's not a million miles away from me, so I am interested ...

Thanks 
Various, including ...

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline Zander

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 14.08. 2017 19:28 »
Dedham Essex? That's not a million miles away from me, so I am interested

CB re your frame repair, can you PM me please?  I've spoken with the person concerned and he can probably make the part and braze it in position if that's what you want.
'59 GF

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.08. 2017 08:44 »
Dedham Essex? That's not a million miles away from me, so I am interested

CB re your frame repair, can you PM me please?  I've spoken with the person concerned and he can probably make the part and braze it in position if that's what you want.

Wilco thanks. I need to look after the old gal - she got me home despite some serious damage (mostly spokes when the strut went into the rear wheel).
Various, including ...