Author Topic: Gearbox camplate neutral position  (Read 1248 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Gearbox camplate neutral position
« on: 20.08. 2017 13:11 »
What is the correct indentation on the camplate for the neutral position? Is it as indicated by the red arrow? Sorry to have to ask this, but I am having a seriously early onset attack.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gearbox camplate neutral position
« Reply #1 on: 20.08. 2017 13:33 »
No, it is the shallow one for neutral.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.08. 2017 13:35 »
 No, the large indents are the gear selections, and  I've redone your pic and there should be a small notch at the other red arrow on the lump on the left between first & second; those lower bits are where the indent plunger locates ( for some reason someone put a second one in the position of the yellow arrow on a camplate I have- I think they wanted a reverse camplate, but think there may be more to it than that )

Julian rounded me up as I figured he would
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 20.08. 2017 13:47 »
JulianS, Dutch, thank you very much. Haynes (God bless him) mentions that it is the shallow indentation, but when I postioned it in the box it did not look right. For some reason I got it into my head that the flat straight outside edge should be postioned top most horizontally. I know, I know, I should have checked before I removed it. I will put it all back together again and this time maybe it will function as BSA intended.
John

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 20.08. 2017 14:27 »
Since posting this topic, I have been skimming through D W Munro's book BSA Twin Motorcycles, and lo and behold, look what I discovered in the process. Alright it is a plunger box, and mine is a swing arm, but none the less it shows the correct orientation of the camplate. I must say that it never crossed my mind that I already had the answer to my post tucked away in this book. For those who are not aware, D W Munro was a member of the A10/A7 design and developement team.
John