Author Topic: Setting selector forks on camplate  (Read 1055 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Setting selector forks on camplate
« on: 26.08. 2017 19:21 »
Well, I have spent a very unproductive day in the garage trying to put my gearbox back together. despite lining up the dots I cannot get the gear change index right. I have tried many times setting alternative positions too, but no success with that either. I just want to verify the the gearchange selector forks should be fitted as shown in the illustration. I have the camplate set to neutral that is to say the smallest indent on the plunger. The interesting thing is that the cam plate when set in this position makes it very difficult to locate selector forks in the tracks. What am I doing wrong? By the way when I set the camplate to neutral My camplate is in a totally different orinentation to that shown in the picture.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Setting selector forks on camplate
« Reply #1 on: 26.08. 2017 19:50 »
Photo shows position when selectors assembled onto camplate in neutral. When assembling the box dont put the selector rod in place until you have the selectors in position on the respective pinions and in the camplate paths.

Dont know if you have got the service sheets but incase not the second and third photos are from service sheet 311 describing reassembly.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.08. 2017 22:24 »

It really shouldn't be difficult, but the camplate orientation in your (a101960 ) looks different to Julians photo, which makes me wonder if you have a reverse-action camplate?
   Maybe just a bit of an early morning brainfart ...*dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.08. 2017 01:55 »
 I must have assembled my box 15 times now.

I don't know why (i am sure it's just me), but using neutral has never work.

But put everything in 4th gear and it slips right together.

I check to make sure I have all the gears, and when I remove the outer cover the dots are perfect when in neutral.

When I build it up using neutral I always end up with a three speed. *pull hair out*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 27.08. 2017 13:50 »
When I build it up using neutral I always end up with a three speed.
Thats what was happenig to me. sometimes 2 gears sometimes 3. Well, it was back in the garage time this morning and everything is sorted. I was still having gear selection problems 1st and 2nd engaged OK and now and again 3rd. The solution turned out to be very simple. Turning the sprocket while selecting the gears completely cured the problem. Ah well we live and we learn.
John

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.08. 2017 16:06 »
...Turning the sprocket while selecting the gears completely cured the problem. Ah well we live and we learn.
Yup, we've all done something like that, ::hh::
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash