Author Topic: bsa ebay  (Read 376 times)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
bsa ebay
« on: 15.09. 2017 19:26 »
interesting bitza on ebay 112565005928 4 lug frame

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
Re: bsa ebay
« Reply #2 on: 16.09. 2017 00:46 »
hi guys, what is so special of a 4 lug frame I have 4 on mine, doesn't mean a thing to me, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.09. 2017 01:14 »

.. kiwipom
hi guys, what is so special of a 4 lug frame I have 4 on mine, doesn't mean a thing to me, cheers...

I've often wondered the same thing
 *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: 16.09. 2017 08:59 »
Somebody's going to correct me on this one but this is what I think I know?!.... We're talking about the four lugs on the front downtubes which support the dynamo-engine plates. Nearly all A7 / A10 frames have the two top lugs made out of castings which are slid onto the tubes and brazed on, but the bottom lugs are plain tubes welded onto the downtubes. Towards the end of the production run BSA started manufacturing frames where all four lugs were of the cast type. Some of these frames may have been used as general production frames at the very end of the production run on Super Rockets. All RGS frames were like this so the 'four lug frame' (should be four cast lug) suddenly becomes highly desirable to those who wish to build RGS copies. I am also aware that BSA sold these frames as replacement frames to dealers and individuals who had crashed or twisted frames. Some of these frames had both types of rear brake cable anchors, some had the sports footrest lugs mounted on the pillion loops, but this doesn't mean they are RGS frames which, to the best of my knowledge, are the only frames stamped with the 'GA10...' prefix. The replacement frames which left the factory were unstamped. There are bound to be a few minor discrepencies and anomalies but i think, in general, what I'm offering as information is fairly accurate.

The bike on Ebay is described as 1958 yet the front brake looks like Ariel (56/57) and the four lug frame was not in production in 1958 (as far as I am aware) so this frame is probably one of the replacement frames I referred to earlier. I'd be very interested to know what the engine and frame numbers are.
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.09. 2017 09:22 »

Thanks B-Macc that sounds completely plausible and logical.... *clap*

But given that ;
The bike on Ebay..............and the four lug frame was not in production in 1958 (as far as I am aware) ................

I have to ask if you mean ;

but the bottom lugs are plain tubes welded onto the downtubes. Towards the end of the production run BSA started manufacturing frames where all four lugs were of the cast type.

OR

...... were like this so the 'four lug frame' (should be four cast lug)

?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 16.09. 2017 09:23 »
This parts service bulletin introduces the universal replacement swining arm frame in 1960. Poor copy sorry about that.

I had one such - a 1958 FA7 number with 2 rear brake cable stops, lug for rod rear brake pedal and wrap around headstock brace.

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: 17.09. 2017 08:53 »
Re Dutch's question.... All frames have four lugs on the downtube (the lower two are welded tubes, the top two are preformed/cast) but when people refer to a 'four lug frame' they mean it has four cast lugs. The one on ebay has four cast lugs. This can be seen quite clearly in the second photo, which for a 1958 bike, is why the frame is likely to be a replacement frame supplied by the factory. There is a one in a million chance the frame is a genuine RGS frame transferred from a genuine RGS, but why would anybody do that?!
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.09. 2017 09:42 »

Thanks B-macc, I think what I had in mind was something along the lines of the pre-'58 S/A frames, but can look on the parts list I guess.
 It was also an early morning brain passing wind *smile*....

There is a one in a million chance the frame is a genuine RGS frame transferred from a genuine RGS, but why would anybody do that?!

Maybe someone crashed one irretrievably, or lost one in a river somewhere..... *whistle* *smile*
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 17.09. 2017 09:49 »
If you have the Haynes manual you can see that the subject bike was fitted with a 4 cast lug frame and rod brake pedal pivot - see page 38.