Author Topic: Clutch Cable Weirdness  (Read 776 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Clutch Cable Weirdness
« on: 18.09. 2017 07:20 »
Here’s an odd one;

So I headed out for The Big Trip for the weekend on Saturday – out beyond Martlesham Heath, inland from Orford. It’s about 60 miles each way for me. I’d arranged to meet a pal on his Indian Scout (old, proper one) at a pub in Otley (Suffolk) en route. At one of the villages just prior I’d felt that slight ‘ting’ on the clutch lever that can be indicative of a failing cable. In Otley itself I suddenly had a huge amount of play appear at the lever, though I managed to adjust it out and at least get to the pub. He was already there albeit on his Shovel (failed generator chain on the Indian).

I’d got a cable inner kit though no complete spare, but on initial inspection all looked OK. I popped the inspection cap on the g/box expecting to see the adjuster loose, or worse, but all was good there. Back up at the lever end we found the issue. The cable outer must be made up of two separate windings, one inside the other. The metal end cap had let go such that the inner winding had started being dragged out through the adjuster. Luckily within my kit I found a nipple I could slip over the inner that would then form a stop for the escaping inner outer (if you see what I mean). Backed off at the g/box end and we were good for the weekend. Still not sure how this has led to the slack being introduced, and I've never seen a failure like this before.

There’s probably a moral to the tale, but I’m not sure what it is. Anyway, recommended is the Wemoto supplied; Emergency Clutch and Throttle Cable Repair Kit - Slinky Glide.

Apart from that and the rocker box starting to dump oil on top of the motor and the speedo cable breaking on the way home it all went well. 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Clutch Cable Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: 18.09. 2017 07:39 »
 *pull hair out*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.09. 2017 09:34 »

CB, I had that exact thing happen a few months ago. I have an adjuster at the hand-lever end, and the slot is big enough for outer cable to pull through the pissant end-cap (I'm sure they have another name ?) which only bears on the very edge- I know that's more or less what you said, but I'm buying time *conf*..

I used an end-cap from an old Gutzzi cable in place of the pissant one- works a treat. I have to rig up a spare though, and not sure if I have I have another one of those ends so may have to use something else ...

It wasn't even the right one for the Gutzzi, so lucky to have it.

I have a feeling I utilized something else along the way- I'll get back on that.

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.09. 2017 09:46 »
I have an adjuster at the hand-lever end, and the slot is big enough for outer cable to pull through the pissant end-cap (I'm sure they have another name ?)
Ferrule
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.09. 2017 12:08 »
BTW - wasn't  The Big Trip, t'was The Trip Out. Saw a few A10s there, or the rolling gear at least. Couple had Triumph motors and one was carrying a HD 45 motor. Nicely done but I couldn't help thinking it was way over chassised.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.09. 2017 13:03 »

Ferrule

yes, nice word; not to be confused with my feral Liff, or ferriferous metal...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia