Author Topic: Boyer or other.  (Read 275 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Boyer or other.
« on: 13.10. 2017 16:55 »
I have not dabbled with electronic ignition since I had my 1972 Commando in the late 70's. I don't mind points etc normally. What are the views today as to fitting theses gadgets to our old BSA twins. Recommendations please, I have seen a modern Boyer Kit on ebay for £99. Thanks  *conf*

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Boyer or other.
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2017 17:04 »
Assuming that I had a magneto I would stick with it.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2017 17:05 »
Pazon I believe developed from guys who worked at Buyer, similar but continues to works I think at a slightly lower battery voltage than Boyer
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.10. 2017 17:42 »
You'll be out more than £99 once you've bought this as well.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 13.10. 2017 17:45 »
Apologies, my question is in this section as it is not for an A7-A10 with a mag. My more modern A65 is getting an update. Thanks for replies so far.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.10. 2017 18:43 »
This lot looks robust and costs less than Boyer.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 13.10. 2017 20:02 »
I still have a dealer acct with a few wholesalers as I was running a shop at one time.  My main dealer in the US sells a LOT of those Wassell unit and I believe made in eastern Europe.  I am told they are good units and correct, much cheaper than the Boyer.   I ordered 3 sets last time I ordered ignitions on recomendations of staff at the wholesaler and I have not personally installed one yet (Soon) But the 2 units I sold to friends said no problems and are happy with those units.

I think the cost is about $30 USD less than a Boyer.. I have had good luck with Boyers but the older units ARE voltage sensitive, but overall cant complain.  99% of problems are owner induced not the ignition.
I wont run stock points on a Brit bike,, EI or nothing.  On a older maggie bike??  Thats different,, but even then I am a fan of converting to a EI.

You can now buy maggie blank housings that will fit a boyer or other EI unit and swap them into a early maggie bike, the only issue is 12v and good supply of power.  The boyer power boxs are highly endorsed by many for 12v generator bikes. Not cheap but good reports. I have one here new in the box and will install at some point but that will be the first time I used one.  But I hear good things about them and based on real world experience of people I trust I purchased one.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 13.10. 2017 21:52 »
I used a "Boyer Power Box" regulator with a dynamo years ago and it showed those low rpm battery draining characteristics that people complain about.

It also regulated the battery voltage too low.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 13.10. 2017 23:59 »
Well, the 12v armatures are not exactly blazing power generating devices on even a good day so, expectations should be low, But besides a few people that recommended them do you have any other insights or advice??

Did you try something else???  I am going to discuss this with my FIL and BIL who are smarter than I am about such things and see what they suggest,, Perhaps some BIG honkin' capacitors stashed in a tool box?  Going with more Ah capacity batteries?  The new Lithiums are not suited for these old tractors but Battery tech has grown leaps and bounds..  (I use AGM Glass matts currently in most of my bikes)

My plan was to convert the lighting to LED, Use relays for Horn and other bits and optimize all connections as well as I have a triple redundant grounding theme I adopt for all my projects. 

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 14.10. 2017 15:58 »
Hi Triton. I like the look of that one, it looks protected from all the vibrations.

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.10. 2017 19:44 »

*????*
..... a triple redundant grounding theme ......

I *think* I get the drift, but not in those words... *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia