Author Topic: Stands  (Read 1186 times)

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
Stands
« on: 16.11. 2017 16:27 »
Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket sidestand? My bike has had the mounting lug removed. I have seen Indian made bolt-ons in various diameters on sale for around £30. Does anyone have any experience of these? Also, and apologies if it's been covered before, is there a centre stand which is acknowledged to be easier to use than others. I've a 54 SS and it's a bugger - but doesn't seem to be bent or otherwise damaged. My Trident is a doddle by comparison, and when you consider the extra weight, it shouldn't be.

Offline Rookie_V#60

• Rudolph the rednose rendeer
  • A's Good Friend
  • Je oller je doller
Re: Stands
« Reply #1 on: 16.11. 2017 17:14 »
Hi,

on my rigid I use this aftermarket sidestand (sorry for the bad photos) since years. Unusal position but it works perfect and very cheap on evil bay.

Perhaps you can also modify your central stand like it's shown in the 3. Photo.  Works for me (70 years old  *razz*) more easier with this big radius.

Seen on my old Horex SB 35 decades ago.

Rudolf
1923 James Model 12 500ccm v-twin
1926 Douglas EW 350ccm flat-twin
1936 Motosacoche 500ccm single
1948 BSA A7 Longstroke 500ccm parallel-twin
1955 Ariel Square Four MKII
1960 C1, 1967 C2, 1979 C3-gone!

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 16.11. 2017 21:56 »
Center stands are the same as cams.
The longer ans slower the lift the easier they to use.
So you can put longer feet on the bottom of the stand.
Nothing magic, you still need the same amount of effort to get the bike up, gravity does not change, but you spread that out over a longer time which makes it easier to do.
Mush the same as pushing a bike up a ramp, takes the same amount of energy but longer ones are much easier to use.

The caveat on this is the feet poke down under the bike and if too long will ground on corners and can lift the rear wheel.

Back when we were all "as good as Ago" we used to grind the feet off our stands for the said same reason regardless of the fact by the time the stand grounded you had run off the side wall tread.

If you go the longer foot method you might need to grind a bit off stops to allow it to sit a bit higher when not in us.

From memory you can modify an A65 one with the long foot pedal to fit  and that will definately reduce the left hand cornering clearence.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2017 17:47 »
I had a bolt on side stand on my A10, it would not grip, scary. Someone suggested a couple of welds, makes sense if you don't blow a hole in the frame. Braise ?

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.11. 2017 18:29 »
"Braise"?  You'll have to "beef" that up then.... *smile*

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 17.11. 2017 20:24 »
one of the top uk suppliers was selling  center stands made in china and stated  don.t recommend this item for your classic as they are prone to snap???

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.11. 2017 11:50 »
one of the top uk suppliers was selling  center stands made in china and stated  don.t recommend this item for your classic as they are prone to snap???

There is a U.S. classic car parts dealer who does the same thing.

On his website he will say "this part is crap, but if its all you can get you will have to deal with it. I cannot find another supplier."

Those are the sellers I wish there were more of.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 18.11. 2017 13:12 »

At least with a honest crap part, it's a product to start with and modify to suit, and if it goes to crap then it's still crap- but most likely get lucky.

probably no good for rivet counters....what was that famous rivet counters name again...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 18.11. 2017 13:13 »

..what was that famous rivet counters name again...??

maybe I think it was Kilroy
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.11. 2017 16:11 »
maybe I think it was Kilroy

Wasn't him at all, but he was there *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 19.11. 2017 09:56 »
I have seen Indian made bolt-ons in various diameters ... Does anyone have any experience of these?
i bought an indian clamp on sidestand for my b33. arrived pre-rusted to save me from having to neglect it. next problem was how to stop it rotating - even when very tight on the bolts it would slowly turn when the bike was on it....  *eek* not good, and damaging to the frame paint too. I wasn't brave enough to weld/braze it to the frame so welded up a very weird plate that clamps to the two bolts on the stand and runs under the frame to a mount point to stop it rotating. So I'm glad to have a side stand but its quite a bodge to make it usable. surely there is a better way.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 19.11. 2017 11:17 »
When I first got my machine back on the road I couldn't find a prop stand so took a chance and ordered a Triumph one and modified * it, (see first three pictures). I already had the permanent frame lug, (I don't think it had ever been used) so that was more than half the battle. My mod'd stand was a bit too heavy looking, also when I shortened it I cut it a tad too long so I needed to be careful where I parked so the bike so it didn't tip over to the right. Later I spotted a NOS stand on Ebay so bought that. Even though it was rather expensive I felt I just had to have it. The new stand also has the bike leaning quite upright so I still have to be careful where I park, (See last picture). I don't mind this situation because it means there is less weight on the stand.

*Trivial information: The disk that I badly welded to the bottom of the modified stand is the rubber bump-stop plate from a BMC Mini front suspension ball joint that I found in my box of bits-n-bobs.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 19.11. 2017 15:41 »
Mikeb, I've bought one of the Indian ones since my post and have the same problem with it rotating. I hadn't thought about trying to use some kind of stay to stop it moving - I'll have to see what I can lash up. Brazing isn't an option for me either, but a sidestand is imperative, so I'll have to come up with a solution. Any other suggestions gratefully received.