Author Topic: News: Forum update \ Notification emails  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
News: Forum update \ Notification emails
« on: 21.11. 2017 12:17 »
An update applied (smf 2.14 to 2.15), some minor security \ bug fixes, all seems well, anyone experience anything out of the ordinary, please post here.

----------------------------

Notification emails, there has been some disruptions impacting a few members on a few specific email domains (aol, bigpond, btinternet for some weeks). It's due to some email service providers implementing defective and inaccurate anti-spam blocking filters, which in the process also blocks many 100% legitimate emails (example the 'new posts' notifications sent from the forum, can affect numbers of emails from many sources, the intended recipient will never know).

Problem goes away after a few days, but may reappear if your internet\email provider again implement their whims and fallacies, deciding one should not be allowed to receive some of one's emails.

At time of writing, all looks ok. If any non-delivery situation persists I will contact the member(s) and recommend changing forum email to gmail \ outlook \ yahoo, never any problems with these.

Thanks
e.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: News: Forum update \ Notification emails
« Reply #1 on: 21.11. 2017 20:54 »
Thanks for the upkeep and maintenance.  I moderate a couple other lists and its always something.

The email issue is always in flux,  I liked outlook express or whatever it was I used to us some years back (Windows XP) and still have a file of old emails I saved for tech topics or other reasons.  Some are emails from
"Imaginary internet friends"   (People you have never met but have grown to be friends with via internet over the years) and some of them have passed away, One for example was Gerry B who was a Brit Expat living in Greece and was a wealth of info about oil as he worked for Duckhams, He would put to bed many oil debates.

But my ISP has changed things many times and never ending issue.  They outsourced their email services to save money and GMail at first and now another provider.  I of course complain each time, and the spam issues are ongoing as well, but it is what it is.   But it is amusing to find people still using AOL,,

Thanks for your work,
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 23.11. 2017 09:36 »
 *problem*

Notification emails, now it's btinternet that do not want you to read some emails, nothing I can do from here.
Will probably be ok in a few days.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 26.11. 2017 21:18 »
Update for users of aol.com, bigpond.com, btinternet.com still using some kind of stupid implementation to "protect" you from receiving some emails, in this case the notifications from the forum.

Recommending a change of forum email address.

gmail, outlook, yahoo, hotmail etc etc and the rest of the world is working fine.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 03.12. 2017 21:00 »
About notification emails, still some nonsense from btinternet, affecting some members.

If on btintenet email, and receiving notifications -and maybe other legitimate emails from other sources than the forum- is important, change your forum email address to a reliable email provider.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.12. 2017 22:03 »
still some nonsense from btinterne

ummm they now require us to sign in every time to read our mail, oh well back to windows mail or Outlook or ...., talk about shooting yourself in the foot
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 04.12. 2017 09:16 »
I switched to gmail for forum notifications. All good there only one extra click.
My littlepuddle (bigpond) mail was rejecting some forum notifications and now asks me to sign in  *pull hair out*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.12. 2017 10:41 »
I switched to gmail for forum notifications.

I have Gmail, will give it a try

another strange thing, after the last W10 update (last week , big update) I tried Edge again, always found it fast but lacking add ons, well the forum on Edge when you have viewed an unread post it deletes it from the list of unread posts, in Firefox the post you have just read remains in the list of unread posts
Anyone know which is correct or is it just down to the browser
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.12. 2017 11:49 »
I switched to gmail for forum notifications.

I have Gmail, will give it a try

another strange thing, after the last W10 update (last week , big update) I tried Edge again, always found it fast but lacking add ons, well the forum on Edge when you have viewed an unread post it deletes it from the list of unread posts, in Firefox the post you have just read remains in the list of unread posts
Anyone know which is correct or is it just down to the browser
I use Firefox browser and Gmail. No prob's here.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 10.12. 2017 15:39 »
Zero notification email problems for a while, the earlier mentionned email providers who randomly blocked anything and everything seems to have corrected their systems.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 28.12. 2017 10:38 »
AOL again having some fun blocking legitimate emails (and bouncing them back here in the dozens). If using AOL as forum profile email, change asap to something reliable (gmail, yahoo, outlook etc).

Until a new email has been set, please -never- use the forum notification services (new posts, new PM's etc), delete all previously set notifications. Thanks.