Author Topic: A Christmas warning!  (Read 701 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
A Christmas warning!
« on: 22.12. 2017 22:16 »
A warning to all, be careful about drink driving as we are getting close to Christmas and Police are out there checking on people.
Last night I was out for a few drinks. One thing lead to another and I had a few too many beers and then went onto the cocktails. Not a good idea..
Knowing I was over the limit, I decided to leave my bike at the pub and took a Bus home. Sure enough, I passed a police checkpoint, where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests. Because I was in a Bus they just waved it past. I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I've never driven a bus before and I am not even sure where I got it from.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: A Christmas warning!
« Reply #1 on: 23.12. 2017 01:02 »
Thats an amusing tale but (Pun intended?) a sobering one!...

I am by no means a model citizen, and for some, an example for others NOT to emulate.  (Some parents even say they have to have a "Talk" with the kids that bad idea to do anything crazy uncle says, or remind the kids dont listen to him)

But its just not worth it to ride or drive while intoxicated.  In the western US, most states ALSO allow recreational or medicinal Marijuana and its a bit of a problem although, not anything close to the mayhem and destruction alcohol is.   But when we have visitors from out of the area its a good idea to discuss moderation is the best path.

But, on a more serious note, I was nearly killed and will have a lifetime (Whatever is left) of problems health wise because of a speeding drunk driver who was also texting.   I was on my HD sportster coming home from work one night (Aug 28th 2013 approx 9:32 pm) at approx 45 mph.  I was hit from behind by a Audi S4 police estimate at 75-85 Mph.  She was also texting at the time and her phone flew out of her hand.
Never hit the brakes.

Might be a bit cliche, but MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) was a huge help to me immediately after and in the years since.  I try to return the favor when I can, but they have been amazing every step of the way. 

Maybe in the spirit of the season consider donating to MADD or suitable organization in your area?? Offer ride assistance, or volunteer?  People on their damn crackberries is a very hot topic to me, but the roads are far less safe for a Motorcycle rider than at any time since driving began.  Dont contribute to the problem.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.12. 2017 10:11 »
In the UK despite fines being increased for mobile phone use while driving I see wankers doing it all the time! Saw a truck driver, negotiating a roundabout, with a map on the steering wheel and a phone in his hand. Unbelievable!

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23.12. 2017 20:50 »
I used to work in the big city nearby, and several days would walk out to a busy street in front of the building. Standing there I would take a survey of cars going by.  Pretty consistent that there was 1 in 6 people driving by that spot clearly had a device they were operating. Updating their facebook, dating profile or chatting on the phone no idea.. but 1 in 6 on average.  I dont have any quibble about a long stretch of interstate out in the middle of nowhere for miles and miles of straight roadway if you want to use hands free and call someone to pass the time. 
(I had a friend who travelled a lot for work and he often would call me from the road that way)
But in heavy traffic, or when ever your full attention is required that is insane.
Last year a suburban soccer mom was arrested who killed some people with her SUV, she was literally filming her kids in the back seat with her phone while driving.

On another list a friend sent us this video.  Not sure where filmed, Australia??  But love it.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1iw5Vdim8

Undercover cop riding a Motorcycle busting drivers on their phones.  (BRILLIANT!)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 23.12. 2017 22:12 »
We feel for ya Sluggo.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 24.12. 2017 04:45 »

Yes that looks and sounds like Aussie. $400 and 1/4 of your license (3 demerit points out of 12 and it takes 3 years to wipe them)
I'd like to see phone signal jammers as std equipment in cars. 1 in 6 is about same as I've observed.
We have to stop and remove our helmets to use a mobile, drivers should stop and park.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: 24.12. 2017 08:26 »
If the police want to rake in fines they should take a fellow officer and a camera on the pillion of a decent bike and cruise up the middle lane of the motorway. My wife and I were returning from a trip to London, visiting our daughter. From the pillion, my wife had an excellent vantage point to see into the cars. She reckons that at least one-in-ten drivers were on the phone!
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 24.12. 2017 09:25 »
Idiots are everywhere, sad to say.  Wishing the best for everyone and positivity, However, reality intrudes.
There is nothing worse than seeing or experiencing trauma thats easily avoidable.

My last job was Public safety officer for a govt agency.  That agency employed over educated idiots on a grand scale. I wrote reports 3x on one individual. Fell down stairs while texting, crashed electric bike in parking garage in a cement pillar, And slipped and fell on icy walkway ALL while texting or using his phone.  Sadly not the only one.  (Down the stairs about 1-2x a month).  I saw multiple bicycle riders going down a fairly steep street while texting/phone use.  I could go on and on.

But our local tax dollars had to pay for multiple pedestrians, bicycle riders and auto drivers all who were distracted and hit or struck by local mass transit. (Busses and Trolleys & Trains)  I also have a friend who crews a freight train and train fatalities are common with those distracted or wearing ear-buds.
So, now tax dollars are spent for a variety of attention getting devices and warning signals to warn people of moving mass transit vehicles.

Videos and news stories here: http://katu.com/news/local/heads-up-trimet-releases-video-asks-pedestrians-to-stay-alert

Wish I could say Motorcyclists are more responsible and careful but sadly not. Several devices out now to help a MC rider use devices and even heads up displays in helmets to continue using phones (HUD).

Offline wortluck

• Valued Contributor
  • Just ride!
« Reply #8 on: 25.12. 2017 18:37 »
Merry Christmas everyone.

When I was young and indestructable, and was riding with a bunch of complete nutters, I was smashed and drunk all the time riding around (this I am not proud of, I hasten to add).  This went on for about five years or so before I reached the age when the brain develops to a point where you realise you are being stupid - then stop doing those things.  Interestingly, despite all the cop cars sitting waiting around in the early hours of the morning as I was floating home, I never once got stopped.  In fact, I've only ever been breathalysed once, and that was in a car about 30 years ago!!  One thing I do remember is that every time I got on the bike, regardless of my state, I seemed to sober up really quickly.  On one occasion, I couldn't remember riding home and had to check outside to see if my bike was there.  I was both crazy and lucky, but shouldn't have been.  All I can say is I'm well behind the Police in nicking people who DD and use mobiles, as well as those who are still idiots.  I only wish bans were longer and fines heavier.

Take care all - looking forward to the Spring already.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 26.12. 2017 03:50 »
Just heard on the radio, three dead in a head on about 3 miles north of me.
Get there safe.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Dean

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 27.12. 2017 15:29 »
Back in the late 1980 I undertook some reseach into the newly emerging in-car phone.
We found that even hands free use affected driver's judgements. For example 'gap acceptance' e.g. judgeing whether it is safe to pull out at  a junction was significantly impaired. Which should be of particular interest to us!

Hands free is not safe!

But I loved your story Greybeard, as did the family I just read it out to.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 05.01. 2018 19:24 »
A guy gets stopped by the police who asked have you been drinking?  He replied yes 9 pints and 8 double whiskey,s.  Take a deep breath and blow into the machine. He said why don,t you believe me?

Offline wortluck

• Valued Contributor
  • Just ride!
« Reply #12 on: 06.01. 2018 16:57 »
You have a Facebook account :o

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 06.01. 2018 17:13 »
I know!

Online RoyC

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 06.01. 2018 18:01 »
Not me, oh no,
The powers that be know enough about me as it is without giving them more ways to spy on me.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK