Author Topic: Battery charging advice  (Read 1409 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Battery charging advice
« on: 01.01. 2018 12:15 »
I have an A7 and an A65, I have a modern style battery charger and was wondering if it is Ok to charge the battery on the A7 whilst it is still connected to the wiring, something from my distant memory is telling me that  vehicles with a dynamo should have the battery disconnected before charging or you could run the risk of damaging the dynamo. I am assuming that that info applied maybe to the old style of chargers not the modern type. My A65 I charge with the battery connected as the charger came with  a connecter that you could connect permanently to the battery and you just plug the charger in and it senses what is required. I am thinking of doing the same to the A7, the charger I have is a Motobatt with the below specifications. Thanks

Motobatt Motorcycle Battery Charger Trickle 6V & 12V Baby Boy with Auto Cut Off

Motobatt Baby Boy 500 mAh compatible with 6 volt and 12 volt batteries.

6 volt 7.4 volt max. & 12 volt 14.7 volt charge rate. 500 mAh output current charge rate.
    2 Stage charging.
    Bulk Charge Phase will safely charge all lead acid batteries including AGM and Gel Cell batteries.
    Shuts off when battery is fully charged. Measures voltage and amperage simultaneously for increased charge speed, charge depth and accuracy.
    LED operational status indicator light. Reverse polarity protection. Spark proof.
    High impact plastic housing. Includes alligator clamp style and remote connector style leads.

It has the DVR2 type regulator fitted with a cyclon 6v battery inside an original looking battery case.

56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
Re: Battery charging advice
« Reply #1 on: 01.01. 2018 12:34 »
There may be others on this forum that disagree with me but, if you have the original type of mechanical cut out, then I would charge with the battery connected. I have kept a battery tender connected all year with no ill effects but, as I expect you know, a tender only charges when necessary. With batteries easy to reach, it wouldn't take a moment to disconnect anyway.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 01.01. 2018 14:58 »
Charge my AGM battery every other week or so without disconnecting using a Motobatt charger like yours.
Doing this for years now with no issues
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 01.01. 2018 15:42 »
Thanks for those quick replies will now go ahead with mods just wanted to be sure.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.01. 2018 22:03 »
I have a little plug connector just under the saddle. I've modified my charger lead so I can just unplug the bike and connect the charger. Also makes removing the battery very simple.
Here's one of the same type of connectors.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 03.01. 2018 06:07 »
Yes I have similar GB, fitted to all my bikes and a 6/12v charger alternates between them. The battery's are still connected.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.01. 2018 07:29 »
Yes I have similar GB, fitted to all my bikes and a 6/12v charger alternates between them. The battery's are still connected.
Cheers
Same here.
I use a CTEK 5A smart charger. (12v only)
It can be left on all winter if wanted.
All the leads came with mine.
Wrong connection protected.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 03.01. 2018 09:01 »
Thanks for those replies that is what I intend to do on the   A7 I have already got one fitted to the A65 for ease of charging it is that some where in my distant memory from  maybe 40- 50 years ago I was told that with a dynamo system you had to disconnect the battery when charging or you could damage the  dynamo this I have always done  but maybe back then the type of charger you used could have damaged the dynamo  bearing in mind that I do still have an old battery charger that I have never used for years that  has 2 rates of charge the higher rate of charge is up to 8amps and the lower rate is 2 amps.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.01. 2018 09:44 »
Just to clarify: my method disconnects the battery from the bike while charging.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.01. 2018 13:03 »

I do something like that, but me being me, I've blown a couple of chargers up by accidentally connecting them wrong.... *bash*..(Friggin' +ve Earth- no more though)...That's a convenient 'out', because I've also connected them wrong for other resons, but we won't talk about that *shh*

I also have a couple of camping solar panels with inbuilt regulators/voltage controllers that I connect to whatever isn't used so much, (which doesn't include the A10, because it's first off the rank most days, and 6V anyway); haven't had major dramas... *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.01. 2018 13:18 »
Same here.
I use a CTEK 5A smart charger. (12v only)
It can be left on all winter if wanted.
I have similar, (6v & 12v, from Aldi). I cut the end of the lead and fitted those small plug/socket connectors to both the bike battery leads and the original croc clips for the charger. That means the charger can still be used for other batteries. I don't think the connectors I've used would stand up to high amperage, but then, I don't think those electronic chargers push out lots of current;  they are really just for battery maintenance.

I may go take some photo's in a minute.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.01. 2018 15:40 »
Just to clarify: my method disconnects the battery from the bike while charging.

How does it do that ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.01. 2018 17:10 »
I unplug the inline connector, (that is  on the end of the battery leads and out of sight under the saddle) and plug my charger in instead. The battery stays on the bike. I meant to take photos but forgot, sorry. I'll try to remember tomorrow to go out in daylight and take snaps.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 03.01. 2018 19:15 »
I unplug the inline connector, (that is  on the end of the battery leads and out of sight under the saddle) and plug my charger in instead. The battery stays on the bike. I meant to take photos but forgot, sorry. I'll try to remember tomorrow to go out in daylight and take snaps.
I got ya.
I thought that you meant it cut out the battery when you plugged the charger in, like some kind of auto switch.  *red*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 04.01. 2018 15:34 »
Some pictures of my battery connection. First you can see the bike connection just below the fuse box. The battery has leads soldered to its tags. The leads are routed to the plug and socket underneath the saddle. Next picture shows my charger with its original croco clips connected with the same plug/socket arrangement. Next picture shows the charger connected to the bike battery.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK