Author Topic: New Year's Resolution - A challenge to you all !!  (Read 2243 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New Year's Resolution - A challenge to you all !!
« Reply #45 on: 13.10. 2018 07:22 »

This said, I'll take the bait. First, a resolution that I totally expect to fail: Make the '55 A10 4-5% faster by losing 25 lbs. Second, finally get the powder coating done on the barn-find '57 A7.  Third, finally get the crank ground and timing-side bush fit for the A7. I could go on and on, but couldn't we all?  If any one of these happens I will now feel triumphant (Beezumphant?)

Resolution # 1: No way.
Resolution # 2: Done! Ha!  *woo*  *smile*
Resolution # 3: We'll see.

Richard L.

It's only October *spider* *doh* *eek* and #3 is half done. A7 machine work is delivered to the shop.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #46 on: 13.10. 2018 09:30 »
..................... and I'm part way through my second project which, if it gets finished by Christmas, will mean I've met my target. Unfortunately some health issues are getting in the way at the moment but I'm determined to get the job done. It's a BitSA / A10 special with iron head, fairly standard engine, 12v electrics, stainless guards and anything else I can lay my hands on currently lying around the garage and workshop!
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #47 on: 13.10. 2018 14:16 »
Just a note for Morris re the wheel issues - rims can be punched with different sized holes and sometimes you can get a rim with the bigger holes when you expected the standard ones (CWC did this to me). Two different nipple sizes for same spoke thread. Maybe you need the larger size spoke?

My mistake - last word should have read 'nipple'
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #48 on: 13.10. 2018 19:45 »
Just a note for Morris re the wheel issues - rims can be punched with different sized holes and sometimes you can get a rim with the bigger holes when you expected the standard ones (CWC did this to me). Two different nipple sizes for same spoke thread. Maybe you need the larger size spoke?
Well... that wasn’t exactly the issue. At that time the wheels where still the ones that came with the bike. They where built from what seemed leftover parts.  Found 3 different types of spokes and nipples so I did the only decent thing and ordered new rims, spokes and nipples and rebuilt them.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #49 on: 14.10. 2018 23:26 »
Last week I took my plunger wheels over to a wheel builder for new stainless rims & spokes, & was amazed at his new machinery which can knock out a threaded spoke in seconds..
as mentioned spokes come in many diameters & sizes...
I'm running a year late on this project due to house renovations, flooring, carpets new concrete, painting house in side & out & the cost of a up coming wedding...  it all cost many $... to keep the wife happy..  *roll*
I've managed put a little away & hope to have the plunger on the road sooooooon...  *loveit* 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #50 on: 17.10. 2018 12:06 »
hi mate , have you sorted the carb leak yet ? cheers Bob *whistle*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #51 on: 17.10. 2018 12:47 »
hi mate , have you sorted the carb leak yet ? cheers Bob *whistle*
Yes Bob... new gasket kit & mix spring installed...  she's getting close..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #52 on: 17.10. 2018 12:53 »
well done !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 17.10. 2018 13:29 »
This year I have the following stuff already lining up;

. Get the tuned motor back together on my Bantam (should be the work of minutes but I’ve lost interest in it). Buy and fit a Rex Caunt ign system. Fit and dial in the Del Orto I’ve acquired.

. Prep the S7 ‘Beam for sale. Currently doesn’t start or run. Too distressed by the whole experience to sort it and move on.

. Pull down the T3. Get the box inspected and new seals fitted. Fit a lightened clutch. Probably swap out the 850 jugs for 950s at the same time (want more mid-range for two up touring). Replace the coils in the hope that will fix some single cylinderedness that was going on coming back from Scotland early summer. 

. Have Hardley chopped and hard tailed. And then do the rest of the build myself. Another year will yet pass without this happening I’m sure.

. Prep and put on the road the SP370 I picked up last weekend. Tidy and sell the Morini Camel it will be replacing.

. Reroof my carport. Did the bikeport this weekend just gone. 

. Sort out the Nimbus charging maladies once and for all. Maybe pull the dynamo for refurb this time – it’s on the upright bevelled shaft that drives the OHC so not as easy as you might hope.

. And I want to do some more aeromodelling on weekday evenings – I’ve bought a vintage style Ben Buckle kit to get my teeth into.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 17.10. 2018 13:56 »
...And I want to do some more aeromodelling on weekday evenings – I’ve bought a vintage style Ben Buckle kit to get my teeth into.
I may have mentioned before that I have a Ben Buckle/KeilKraft Falcon kit, partially built by someone else, sitting in my loft. I have a lovely classic OS FS 60 open rocker engine for it.

If it flys as sedately as this one, I'll be thrilled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BuRldxqvM

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 17.10. 2018 14:55 »
Now that’s real nice – and in fact I was looking at that clip just the other day.

I’ve bought the Bandit which is smaller – 44” span. I’m wimping out with electric power this time – used to run diesels back in the day, on control line. I’m going to fit some micro R/C gear for speed controller, elevator and rudder. More for some ‘light assist’ just so’s I can keep it on whatever field I eventually try flying from.

As an aside, I used to do all this with my dear old dad – but sadly he died at just 61. At which point I figured I’d hang up my flying helmet for a whiles and focus on motorcycles … I could get back to the models when I was older and weaker. I figure that time is upon me. Looking forward to it.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Falconer59

• Active
« Reply #56 on: 17.10. 2018 17:45 »
As A10 super rocket is all good at moment have just treated her to some new rubber so scrub them before winter and all ready for spring.
Just got Rocket 3 back on Road after wheels rebuild and new tyres, also done bushes etc in swing arm ,not an easy job.
Winter project is to get 1950 plunger ES2 finished, all paint done , fitted new wiring loom and few other jobs. So nearly time to put heating on in workshop and get busy.

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #57 on: 26.11. 2018 15:26 »
..................... and I'm part way through my second project which, if it gets finished by Christmas, will mean I've met my target. Unfortunately some health issues are getting in the way at the moment but I'm determined to get the job done. It's a BitSA / A10 special with iron head, fairly standard engine, 12v electrics, stainless guards and anything else I can lay my hands on currently lying around the garage and workshop!

Yahay!!!! and here it is! Probably the only New Year's Resolution I've ever kept! The bike is living proof that it's easier to build an A10 than go on a diet and lose two stone!

Anyway, it has fairly standard engine, Bob Newby clutch and belt drive, stainless guards, Norton front mudguard stays, standard exhaust pipes lengthened by about 6" to accept the 'hooligan' silencers, 12v electrics. As yet I've only ridden it for two miles and it seemed sweet except the chain was rattling on the chainguard and the clutch wasn't very well balanced. So I've spent the morning in the workshop and fixed those two items so (I hope?!) it should be OK now.
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online harvey mushman

• Moving Up
« Reply #58 on: 26.11. 2018 17:39 »
well done! it looks like a nice useable bike you have there.  *smile*

love the pipes!

cheers

derek

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: 10.10. 2019 02:01 »

This said, I'll take the bait. First, a resolution that I totally expect to fail: Make the '55 A10 4-5% faster by losing 25 lbs. Second, finally get the powder coating done on the barn-find '57 A7.  Third, finally get the crank ground and timing-side bush fit for the A7. I could go on and on, but couldn't we all?  If any one of these happens I will now feel triumphant (Beezumphant?)

Resolution # 1: No way.
Resolution # 2: Done! Ha!  *woo*  *smile*
Resolution # 3: We'll see.

Richard L.

It's only October *spider* *doh* *eek* and #3 is half done. A7 machine work is delivered to the shop.

Richard L.

Seems a perfect time to report on my progress in fulfilling my 2018 New Year's resolutions.

Weight loss: Ha! Gained eight pounds.
Powder coating: As previously reported, Done.
Crank grind: Delivered today to the second shop after the first kept putting me off for three months (or more). Will report.

Notice that my last post on this topic said "It's only October." Well it's still only October, just a year later..

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.