Author Topic: Interesting?  (Read 553 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Interesting?
« on: 09.02. 2018 11:19 »
Just copied this from Facebook.

Lance Lovell: During the first world war most of the British motorcycle manufacturers made weapons for the armed services,After that war the government dropped all the sub-contractors and built a factory to produce their own guns etc.As a result when the bike factories started building bikes again ,they all scrapped the gun making machinery.But not BSA-the directors built an expensive warehouse to store it all,and continued to make small amounts of arms,rifles etc,without telling anyone.A lot of shareholders questioned the unnecessary expense but the directors would not budge.In the mid-Thirties the BSA sales executive for Europe reported to the board that,in his view,the Germans were rearming and there was another war on the horizon.The board decided to start secretly mass-producing firearms again,with no customer to buy them and without the Government knowing.They also designed and started to produce the BSA Scout car.When it finally dawned on the politicians that war with Germany was imminent,they started panicking and asked motor/bike manufacturers to urgently tender for making a large number of small arms .BSAs response was,"Certainly Sir,how many does Sir require?",and to the amazement and shock of the Government fulfilled the order from STOCK!.There are many reasons to be proud of BSA Motorcycles Ltd,not just the ones directly related to the bikes...
Good Advice
No reactions

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Interesting?
« Reply #1 on: 09.02. 2018 19:49 »
Just a shame the later directors stuffed it all up!
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 10.02. 2018 06:41 »
A few companies did see the clouds on the horizon early but in fact the UK government started quietly ramping up armaments production in about 1932 whilst still trying to avoid the forthcoming conflict. It's thought that if the war had started a year earlier, Germany would have lost pretty rapidly as its armaments production at that point was a long way behind Britain's. All that changed once they got their hands on the giant Skoda armaments works. The rest as they say is history. 
Good Advice
No reactions
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.02. 2018 09:55 »
It's said that one of the reasons that TV was introduced in the 30s was to enable the producion of cathode ray tubes. TV disguised the discovery of Radar.
Good Advice
No reactions
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline Rex

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 10.02. 2018 10:38 »
I've often wondered, other than the little house-painting concern in Southampton, are there any parts of the industrial conglomerate that was BSA still trading?
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2018 11:11 »
are there any parts of the industrial conglomerate that was BSA still trading?
Last I heard/read the air rifles were still selling but made abroad, aslo I think a few bits of BSA were kept by one of it's later MDs (cant recall the name) for his own good probably but maybe metals was one of them

It's said that one of the reasons that TV was introduced in the 30s was to enable the producion of cathode ray tubes.
they were around in early form for some time previous, the "Braun tube", invented by the German physicist Ferdinand Braun in 1897 but this was a tube without a heater, the first cathode ray tube to use a hot cathode was developed by John B. Johnson  and Harry Weiner Weinhart of Western Electric, and became a commercial product in 1922.[7]
Info not off the top of my head (would slide off these days anyway) but courtesy of Wikipedea
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2018 14:31 »
What I mean was the mass production of CRTs. It would have raised suspicion otherwise.
Good Advice
No reactions
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 10.02. 2018 14:43 »
Which of course led to the demise of Rudge Motorcycles. Factory turned over to electronics production. It's the invention of the magnatron that enabled development of the airborne radar.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.02. 2018 17:33 »
What I mean was the mass production of CRTs

yes I got that Bsareg, didn't mean to contradict at all, just I have/had an interest in Radar, for 34 years I served as a Group Officer in the Royal Observer Corps, had six posts up here in NE one of which was the post that correctly identified Hess's plane, before my time of course.
When I joined  were concerned about Nuclear bursts and radiation monitoring, also in my patch is RAF Boulmer  who track all aircraft military and civil from Russia right down  and across much of the Northern Hemisphere, if anybody ever gets the chance of a visit it's well  worth it, operators using four screens simultaneously and headphones giving a different feed into each ear, I have difficulty watching one TV and the missus harping on at the same time    *smiley4*     
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 10.02. 2018 18:55 »
the mention of rudge in a comment got me thinking of the 60s when mates were riding the latest 250=500 singles  and i would leave them standing on my 38 ulster
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 10.02. 2018 19:17 »
the mention of rudge in a comment got me thinking of the 60s when mates were riding the latest 250=500 singles  and i would leave them standing on my 38 ulster
Do you still have it?
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #11 on: 10.02. 2018 22:20 »
Got a 350 radial.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 10.02. 2018 22:48 »
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #13 on: 11.02. 2018 07:15 »
350 radial is a 1932 Rudge. Goes remarkably well and will leave any contemporary 350 behind. 
Good Advice
No reactions