Author Topic: Chrome vs Stainless fork oil seal holder  (Read 1369 times)

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
Chrome vs Stainless fork oil seal holder
« on: 13.02. 2018 16:38 »
Hi folks,
While I've got my forks off the bike to upgrade my steering head to tapered roller bearings I noticed that some oil was leaking from one of the oil seals, so I'll dismantle them further to put in new seals. The chrome oil seal holder has been rubbing against the shroud and starting to wear through to the base metal. As well as that , I'll probably make a hash of unscrewing them from the bottom bits, so I'll most likely need to replace them. I see that there are chrome ones and stainless ones available.

Any advantage to the stainless ones? They're a bit more pricey than the chrome ones, but will they be more resistant to wear from the shrouds?

While I'm on, do you guys (and any gals out there) have any tips on getting the shrouds 'straight' so they don't rub? One's rubbed the seal holder, as I've described, the other rubs the mudguard.

thanks,

John

beezermacc

Re: Chrome vs Stainless fork oil seal holder
« Reply #1 on: 13.02. 2018 18:30 »
Chrome v stainless? With stainless you won't get rust after they've rubbed a bit. Also the salt won't do stainless much harm. If you don't take your bike out in the wet you may be OK with chrome. In the end you have to judge whether it's worth paying the extra for stainless. Regarding the fit of the shrouds. I wrap a few layers of masking tape around the fork seal holders so that they become a snug fit inside the shrouds, then tighten the shrouds. If you enlarge the holes where the shrouds are bolted through the bottom yoke you get a bit of wriggle room to centralise the shrouds on the seal holders.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 13.02. 2018 19:29 »
Stainless for mine.
Use the proper fork seal holder tool to remove and replace the seal holders. Bottom of this page https://tinyurl.com/y79p4mxk
The design flaw with the seal holder/forks is that water finds its way in and is trapped atop of the seals. It dosen't take long for the stanchions and seal holders to start rusting. Beezermacc's method of masking tape will help slow it down.
Cheers 
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.02. 2018 23:26 »
Hi folks,
While I've got my forks off the bike to upgrade my steering head to tapered roller bearings I noticed that some oil was leaking from one of the oil seals, so I'll dismantle them further to put in new seals. The chrome oil seal holder has been rubbing against the shroud and starting to wear through to the base metal. As well as that , I'll probably make a hash of unscrewing them from the bottom bits, so I'll most likely need to replace them. I see that there are chrome ones and stainless ones available.

Any advantage to the stainless ones? They're a bit more pricey than the chrome ones, but will they be more resistant to wear from the shrouds?

While I'm on, do you guys (and any gals out there) have any tips on getting the shrouds 'straight' so they don't rub? One's rubbed the seal holder, as I've described, the other rubs the mudguard.

thanks,

John

I bought chrome ones from draganfly, a few years back admittedly, a large piece of chrome peeled off within a year....I’d fit stainless if I were you.....
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.02. 2018 05:09 »
I really struggled to find decent chrome ones, the quality of the plating was poor, so go stainless, the finish on mine gives an appearance of chrome with no worries regarding corrosion.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 14.02. 2018 10:35 »
Thanks for all the advice and masking tape trick, looks like stainless is the way to go. Better raid that piggy bank!

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 14.02. 2018 12:08 »
Yeah - the chrome versions on mine are about 10 years old and just getting mangy enough I'm thinking of replacing. Gonna go stainless I reckon.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 14.02. 2018 12:26 »
Mmmm..Got to be stainless steel, fit and forget.  Chrome plating is not the quality it was years ago....

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 14.02. 2018 14:09 »
Be warned if you go aftermarket chrome.  If from India, not only is the chrome bad, the threads are atrocious.  I had to work them with valve lapping paste in order to get them to seat.  Same with fork bushings.  Add an extra hour for honing a set to fit properly.

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.02. 2018 15:37 »
Yep, got that T-shirt!
The chrome on a Triumph set I bought peeled off like sunburnt skin...and that was while I was screwing them on by hand!
So, anyone recommend a source for a pair of stainless jobs?

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 14.02. 2018 18:47 »
Barleycorn make them in s/steel and they are not much more expensive than the chrome versions with good quality form and fit
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
59 Super Rocket 

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 15.02. 2018 09:50 »

Beezermacc has them too https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/front-forks---cowl-type

Is beezermacc currently trading at the moment though- last word I saw he's in hiatus ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.02. 2018 13:20 »
Port au Prince or somewhere further out? *eek*

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: 15.02. 2018 21:39 »

Beezermacc has them too https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/front-forks---cowl-type

Is beezermacc currently trading at the moment though- last word I saw he's in hiatus ?

Yep. Back in business. Just received a box of parts I ordered from him last week.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium