Author Topic: A7 Revival  (Read 5789 times)

Fernando

A7 Revival
« on: 26.10. 2006 05:15 »
Hi everybody.

A couple of months  I introduced myself, and request some help for the project of the A7.
Fortunately I was able to get R. Bacon's Twins restoration, as well as Haynes, as suggested
We started from here, late July 05.

#pics missing from poster's links, see comments below#

By end of last September, we finally almost finished. As far as I know, this is a never ending story.
On the right side is Alejandro, the shop owner, who carries tons of britbikes pieces. In the middle, mylady rider.

Also thanks to Jef-fligg photos and Erling for the encouragment and help

Hopefully I'll find some time to set a handsome webpage for this. But meanwhile I thought should share this photos with you.

Regards to you all

Fernando

--------------
Admin edit des 2008. All the pictures went missing from the poster's server. I somehow made a copy of them once upon the time, and reposting them here as forum attachments
Found the album: http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Fernandoindia/library/Motorcycles/BSA%20A7?sort=3&page=1

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: A7 Revival
« Reply #1 on: 26.10. 2006 08:23 »
Lovely bike. I see you have the tank with the speedo hole, as fitted to the very first rigid models.Do you know much history of your machine? 8)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 26.10. 2006 10:14 »
Congratulations, great work, great bike! Thanks for sharing the story & pictures.

Regards
Erling

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline 1KCBC

• Songkhla,Thailand.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 26.10. 2006 11:19 »
Very nice A7 fernando,I also try to get one but difficult to find it in Thailand.

Regards
Jaran
1951 A10GF,(looking for  A10 swinging-arm)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.10. 2006 17:52 »
Nice work, you can't beat black if its done right and yours look right, my A10 should be black but is gold I have been toying with the idea of putting it back to it's original colour when I get time, I think you have given me the nudge to do it.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Fernando

« Reply #5 on: 28.10. 2006 00:29 »
Fido

Lovely bike. I see you have the tank with the speedo hole, as fitted to the very first rigid models.Do you know much history of your machine? 8)

You are right. Early 1946/1947 A7's came with this tank. Also early frames for this model were rigid and came with a center stand. I couldn't find an explanation why my frame is a plunger, being number XA7 etc, which also has the center stand (Which I was unable to restore it) . So either was exported as a test frame, o was modified by a previous owner.

A long story short: I bought this bike in my 20's, 1970/71. The frame and engine were completely dismantled, stored in wine boxes in a patio, getting along with chicken and ducks. During the break time in my economics studies, I learned how an explosion motor worked. I was able to put it together, painted military green, and run it for a couple of years. Then the marriage came, also 5 children, and the bike remain at my parent's home.

Three years ago, a boyfriend of my daughter willing to buy a bike, asked me about the brand of mine, and how it looked. So I just googled images for BSA A7, and the page of Erling cropped out.

After viewing Earling's material and reading some stories, my wife asked me: why wouldn't you put your bike on the road again?

Her desires where orders for me, so here we are....

Regards

Fernando

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 28.10. 2006 12:43 »
Hello Fernando,

Regarding the anomaly of the plunger frame on your A7.  The rigid rear end of the frames are bolted on items and the plunger rear ends are the same.  It is a straight forward job to simply unbolt one type and replace it with the other.  This was a common modification when the plunger frames became available. 

Your frame number is correct being an XA7 number.  A bike with a plunger frame would have an XA7S number.  The "S" standing for "Sprung" frame.

Hope this explains one of your queeries.

Lovely bike.....enjoy it.

Beezageezauk.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 29.10. 2006 22:34 »
Yes, great bike and good to read about the history. Interesting info about the plunger conversion.

Thanks for mentionning my website, makes me very happy to know it is of help & useful.

Regards from (the rain & cold in) Norway
E.

Stand with

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 30.10. 2006 08:03 »
Only the later rigid frames could be converted to plunger. It is not an option on the early type like mine, YA72201. XA7 would be earlier still so there is no such thing as an XA7 spring frame.

Offline BrianDallasTX

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 31.10. 2006 18:40 »
Very nice bike indeed.  Interesting to know about the plunger conversion.
Brian
'63 A10 Super Rocket

terry1956

« Reply #10 on: 02.11. 2006 13:40 »
great work and to a very high standard, hope mind will look as good when done, michael.
ps. have you anymore pics of the rebuild.

Fernando

« Reply #11 on: 02.11. 2006 17:03 »
Beezageezauk, Thank you for the info about the plunger conversion.

Terry, Thank you for the comments. Yes I do have much more pics of the rebuild. I´m plannig shortly upload them somewhere. Still have to reduce definition.

So I´ll keep you posted on this.

Fernando

« Reply #12 on: 03.11. 2006 13:25 »
Terry,

I've managed to start uploading , nothing fancy,

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/Fernandoindia/?start=20

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #13 on: 07.11. 2006 23:20 »
Thanks for making all these pictures available. And again, great work with the bike.

Stand with

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 08.11. 2006 21:10 »
Here's a photo of my frame for comparison: