Author Topic: A7 Plunger air filter box  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: A7 Plunger air filter box
« Reply #15 on: 28.04. 2018 06:58 »
Greybeard, not sure why you're keen to see the reverse side , but here you go.

Becauses its a useful resource. 
A) A person can ID what a proper one looks like if you have sample to look at, or run across one for sale (Or hanging up in a garage somewhere
B) it gives useful reference material if you have or find one thats damaged, missing parts or modified
C) a clever lad can fab or make their own IE: Copy/reverse engineer.   Might not be the exact same or even a 1 off custom but at least you have a reference point as "This is original/stock" and can go from there.

In the Air Force they were very strict on Aircraft and munitions/weapons that *IF* you followed the "Technical Order" or TO which was basically the workshop manual then you were covered and competent.

(Not doing so could result in Court Martial or getting someone killed/maimed so always good to follow the rules.)

However, as well know using workshop manuals, SOMETIMES its just not 100% clear exactly what you are doing.  So, on the flightline we had a slang-derogatory term I will skip naming, But it was basically go consult one of the other acft or systems on the flightline.  Wing: 20 acft, sometimes 12 Squadron 24.
If you got called out or questioned it was simple enough to defend your decisions that the other acft were operational with the same wiring arrangment, or alignment, or which side the spacer fits.

Which is a long way to say, we dont have a fleet of similar vehicles to compare with, so good photos are a godsend when sitting in a shed in Armpit Oklahoma, Or MooseJaw Canada and havent the faintest idea what the part looks like.

As to the fab, excellent job, The original was formed either on a Buck, or stamped on a Die for the body, Totally acceptable how your fab guy constructed it.
 **Its an airbox fer christs sake, not the gyro for the Mars rover**

Since your fab source is not interested in commercial volume, whats the chance of making templates-tracings of the parts and posting them?  All the parts can be made from flat sheet stock and then welded and bent/formed.  If you have an original, the fab guy is very unlikely to just free form winged it, clearly made construction paper/cardboard/hardy board templates.
I know from classes and prev fab, that when making templates you have to allow for shrinkage and growth when bending/forming.
When we did classes in fabbing gas tanks and metal forming, some fab guys wont allow others to copy their work, some willing do so.
Given the lack of resources, those who share such material are doing the vintage community and great service
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.04. 2018 09:07 »

....so good photos are a godsend when sitting in a shed in Armpit Oklahoma, Or MooseJaw Canada and havent the faintest idea what the part looks like.........
                               ...................or even in Armoury Lane, Birmingham ... *smile*

.... **Its an airbox fer christs sake, not the gyro for the Mars rover**......
it's not *????*

*eek*....I think a bubble just blew(out) *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Roadhog

« Reply #17 on: 06.05. 2018 17:05 »
Hi Richard A. what is the filter you are using in the box, thanks

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 06.05. 2018 18:05 »
Hi Richard A. what is the filter you are using in the box, thanks
I used a K&N filter designed for the Triumph triples. https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=tb-0300

I cut out the part that I could use and attached it to the filter holding part with cable ties, as per photos. You can get two filters from the original. You should never need another one so you could flog the other half to another Plunger owner.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Roadhog

« Reply #19 on: 06.05. 2018 18:31 »
What a great idea, thanks for that.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 06.05. 2018 22:00 »
What a great idea, thanks for that.
It wasn't my idea originally. I think maybe someone here may have suggested it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Ted_Flash

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 07.05. 2018 08:15 »
Early Ford Fiesta filters also work.  They are about a foot in diameter and I used to get three A10 filters from the one Ford. Probably cheaper than K&Ns.
Ted Wilkinson, Ramsbottom, Lancashire
1950 Golden Flash

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 07.05. 2018 08:28 »
Early Ford Fiesta filters also work.  They are about a foot in diameter and I used to get three A10 filters from the one Ford. Probably cheaper than K&Ns.
The K&N filters are not cheap but you don't need to ever change them; you wash them then apply a special K&N fluid to dampen them.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #23 on: 07.05. 2018 08:52 »
The K&N filters are not cheap but you don't need to ever change them; you wash them then apply a special K&N fluid to dampen them.

I second that K&Ns are a good option.  I use them on many makes and model vehicles ( 2 & 4 wheel) as well as got a pile of them from a shop clean out I bought so sometimes repurpose them for other applications similar to the above shown here.
Invariably on many forums someone will post a link or repost of all sorts of dire things that will happen if you use them.  I started using them in the 1980s including a stint racing and no evidence IMHO.
Proper service, cleaning and reoiling and Bobs a close relative.  *IF* you are in a high dust environment or extreme service applications a "Prefilter" is the solution.
K&N makes proprietary ones, But working as a Millwright & Maint dept changed a lot of what is called
"Hepafilters" which is a commercially made roll of filter material for many different apps and I cut off and saved the trimmings and make my own prefilters.  Cut to width & length and a bit of epoxy and velcro you can have a nice "Sock" prefilter if you need it.

K&Ns in testing actually flow and filter best when just a tad dirty.  Too clean and fresh oiling they dont filter as finely as some others.  But just a little bit of use they actually improve.  FYI.
On many of my applications its the last filter I will ever buy, which has value to me.  1 & done.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 07.05. 2018 12:32 »
So with the filter sorted, (thanks guys) does anyone know where to get the rubber connector from an Amal 276 to the filter box?  *conf*
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 07.05. 2018 13:26 »
So with the filter sorted, (thanks guys) does anyone know where to get the rubber connector from an Amal 276 to the filter box?  *conf*
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A7-AIR-FILTER-INTAKE-HOSE-BOOT-RUBBER-67-4596/261982316224?hash=item3cff5ce6c0:g:ZmsAAOSwT6pVjBEd
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A10-650-Pre-Unit-Carb-Air-Filter-Connector-Rubber-67-4589/162982834945?hash=item25f288b301:g:0iQAAOSw73NaxiOx

Those ones do not show a springy retaining thing as my one did. You can see it in those pictures of my filter etc.

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Richard A

• Moving Up
« Reply #26 on: 07.05. 2018 17:38 »
Folks,
hopefully pic of the old filter box the was fitted on the bike when I got it. I know that its not the correct one, but does anyone know who model it fits? Definitely matches all 3 plunger mounting point. I can only guess what it might fit.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 07.05. 2018 17:55 »
I know the A7 filter is different to the A10 one. Is that a standard A7 filter box?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 07.05. 2018 20:04 »
The rubber connector is different A7 to A10 due to the taller barrels of the A10. The filter housing/battery carrier are the same.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 07.05. 2018 20:10 »
The rubber connector is different A7 to A10 due to the taller barrels of the A10. The filter housing/battery carrier are the same.
I believe you already told me that a while ago. Sorry!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK