Author Topic: 4 spring Cluch adjustment  (Read 1867 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
4 spring Cluch adjustment
« on: 09.06. 2018 18:42 »
New clutch springs, adjusters, and cups arrived from C&D Autos this morning so I have spent a great deal of time today setting up the clutch. Most of that the time was spent adjusting the springs to ensure that it lifted evenly. It was a very long winded procedure, but eventually (according the dial gauge) I managed to get it lifting absolutely square. How anyone does this job with just a wire pointer I will never know. My clutch is fitted with an SRM ally pressure plate with an SRM Radial bearing fitted to the push rod. I have posted here a sketch showing how the adjusters ended up. Seems odd to me but the position of the spring adjusters as shown in the sketch is what eliminated the run out on the pressure plate. I did check the springs before fitting and they were identical in length. They are 42-3273 springs by the way. I ended up with one clutch adjuster positioned as in A two positioned as in B and one as positioned in C I am a little bit worried about C but that is what it took to get a dead even lift. It all works just fine but I have to ask is this unusual and has anyone else had similar experiences?
John

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 4 spring Cluch adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 09.06. 2018 20:27 »
Hi John,
It can happen like that, what ever works, works

Earlier SRM pressure plates have a cast finish on the outside so this cannot be used to adjust correctly

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.06. 2018 22:12 »

What's even more confusing is the adjusters appear to have left-hand threads (yeah I know) *smile* , but as John says " what ever works, works"....

I bought a dial gauge, but gave up and now just eyeball it downwards past a reference point - works for me and still have a variety of thread showing (Plunger 6 Sp.)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.06. 2018 23:18 »
I do pretty much what duTch does. Maybe the six springer is easier to balance the pressure.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 10.06. 2018 11:14 »
What's even more confusing is the adjusters appear to have left-hand threads (yeah I know) *smile*
Ah that's why it took so long to get right then *smile* It really was a long and protracted affair.  Anyway here is a couple of pictures of the clutch pressure plate so you can see more clearly what I was talking about.  Thank you everybody for your reassurances. I just could not believe how much variance there could be despite every thing being new. What the original problem was that started all this fiddling about, was that the clutch tended to drag a bit after I had done a few miles and it had warmed up. Hopefully now this work will eliminate the problem. We shall see!
John

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.06. 2018 15:05 »
Hi All,
To bastardise the saying  *eek*

"springs ain't what they used to be"   *smile* *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 10.06. 2018 17:21 »
I just fitted a new four spring clutch and springs from Kidderminster M/C's. Got it running quite square luckily but it's very heavy to pull in the lever still. My cable has no sharp bends and is new and greased. I just tried my mates 750 Rickman Mietise Triumph, I could pull the clutch in with one finger. How do we get the tension of the springs right. Sorry to hi-jack, but there are obviously clutch experts viewing this thread. Thanks.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 10.06. 2018 18:33 »
Hi A10 JWO,

Adjust the springs  for an even lift. Start the bike with the front wheel against a wall at tick over and let the clutch out until the engine stalls. Keep slackening the springs until the engine doesn't stall then tighten the springs a little bit at a time until it does. Then that should give you your light clutch.

ELLIS

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 10.06. 2018 20:05 »
Here's photos of mine showing engaged and disengaged. It's a complete kit from SRM, so there was no mix of parts and I fitted it last Feb.

Maybe I was lucky but I just adjusted it so that one spring coil was just showing above the top of the spring cups as per the SRM instructions. No messing around with dial guages or bits of wire. Operating arm is adjusted to be parallel to gearbox cover joint when lever is pulled in.

Works perfectly, light clutch lever, no slip or drag and more than often my wife is pillion - and there are lots of steep hills in this part of the country that'll test a slightly slipping clutch.

1960 Golden Flash

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 10.06. 2018 21:01 »
Fitted SRM clutch 2 months ago, same experience as RogerSB. Grips, disengages and light action.

No difficulty or need for pointer or dial gauge in balancing springs with the radial lift bearing.

Woth every penny.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 10.06. 2018 22:19 »
Ellis that sounds good, will give that a go. Many thanks. Colin

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: 11.06. 2018 21:36 »
Installed an SRM clutch kit over the weekend.
To those with a four spring clutch and who are still doubting, go ahead and do it.
Get rid of that silly tin pancake that wants to sit all over the place except in the middle.
The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner instead of hoping that the bloody thing would work one day.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 11.06. 2018 22:33 »

...... How do we get the tension of the springs right.........

What Ellis suggests is fine, but I with the hand lever held in with a hi-tech tool, I adjust the springs so that I see a gap in the plates, and in top gear the wheel can *just* turn easily by hand, Then you can do The Ellis plan to confirm ( I'm lazy, and saves a lot of potential start/stop).

After a few goes you'll work  out your own best plan *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #13 on: 29.07. 2018 22:25 »
I have the original set up.  I get it about right the way duTch suggests - eyeballing it.  Then I go to the lever adjuster and get it just touching the rod before releasing it a tad.  Works really well, just a slight clunk when getting first - neutral is easy if you select it just before you pull up.  When the motor's hot, I have to adjust on the handlebar lever.  I like original as far as I can!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 30.07. 2018 09:44 »
had my clutch apart last couple of days, my SRM plate is not machined as pictures here also has Devimead cast in it, on re-assemble I consulted SRM site (just don't trust my memory these days, guess some of you are similar) and lo and behold I had a plate to many, I had a steel plate first, SRM say friction plate first, so put it together that way, seems fine , one spring turn showing, one finger operation.
Had to take off some adjustment at the handle bar, we shall go for a run if it stays dry and I get other stuff sorted ( got no charge on ammeter)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco