Author Topic: Which EasyCap do I need?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
Which EasyCap do I need?
« on: 14.06. 2018 09:22 »
Hi all,

Following some warm-engine-starting issues, I am going to buy an EasyCap to see if that fixes it.

I don't know which one I need - I have a 1959 A7 (not SS). It has the original Mag on it - I'm at work so can't check, and I'd like to get it ordered this morning so it's ready for the weekend.

Also, any tips or advice on EasyCap's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sam.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
Re: Which EasyCap do I need?
« Reply #1 on: 14.06. 2018 09:28 »
Hi, co2 is for the k2f
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.06. 2018 09:52 »
See Brightsparks website;

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/index.htm

Your mag is anticlockwise rotation.

Which one you need depends on which points assembly your mag has.

CO1 for anticlockwise brass points block (see photo)

CO4 for steel points block either rotation.

CO2 is for clockwise so not suitable for your anticlockwise magneto.

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 14.06. 2018 10:47 »
Points on my 1960 A10 GF.
Lucas 492854 (new no 54440888) steel, anti-clockwise direction.
K2F Magneto BSA pt no 19-1210 (same pt no for 1959 A7).

I was looking at Brightsparks EasyCap a few weeks ago and made a note that if I wanted to go down that route in the future I would need the C04 for mine.

(Edit): I didn't take it any further because I didn't fancy the work of taking the condenser that is buried in the armature out if I'm not having problems with it.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.06. 2018 11:48 »
Is that grease in there Roger to lubricate your ring, if so, does it contaminate the points in any way ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.06. 2018 14:47 »
(Edit): I didn't take it any further because I didn't fancy the work of taking the condenser that is buried in the armature out if I'm not having problems with it.

Indeed, and if someone's going to those lengths then why not just get a proper mag rewind + new capacitor and have done with it?

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 14.06. 2018 14:52 »
Hi Roy, Yes - just a light smear around the cam ring to help prevent wear on the rocker fibre and also a drop of machine oil in the cam ring hole. Never had a problem with it getting on the contacts. It looks worse than it actually is. In the photo there's a lot of reflection on the right side of the cam ring so it looks like it's swimming in oil.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.06. 2018 15:21 »
Hi Roy, Yes - just a light smear around the cam ring to help prevent wear on the rocker fibre and also a drop of machine oil in the cam ring hole. Never had a problem with it getting on the contacts. It looks worse than it actually is. In the photo there's a lot of reflection on the right side of the cam ring so it looks like it's swimming in oil.

Thanks Roger, Think I'll give mine a smear. My felt has gone missing.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 14.06. 2018 16:49 »
Some none too well informed sceptics would have it that the small size of the EasyCap means it will be fragile. Far from it. These ceramic capacitors are massively more reliable than other types fitted in magnetos, whether original types or new 'rebuilds'. Poor capacitors probably contribute to the commonplace early demise of many such builds. Why an original magneto probably lasted tens of years, and all too many modern refurbished ones just a couple.

So with the EasyCap you do have to dismantle the magneto, but not really a major task; take it carefully, and read any advice before you run into trouble. Clip out the old 'condensor'. (And Brightspark's excellent website gives full step by step details of the procedure). Fit the EasyCap, and enjoy the benefits of a better ignition system. And one with much improved maintainability.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #9 on: 14.06. 2018 18:17 »
C01 for anti-clockwise brass
C04 for either rotation 'low inertia' later steel cb backplate
C02 for CLOCKWISE brass backplate only - ie Vincents, some REs, and some other machines, Douglas, Scott, etc. (And most 4 cyl GJ4 etc etc Lucas on cars.)
(C03 for all face-cam magdynos, std N1s, many MLs etc)

And thanks to you DRC Mike for informed comment.
Done a good 100,000 km all told on the ones on my own much-used bikes, including 1000km over 72 hours in Spain last week in the mountains (Vuelta a Cantabria, brilliant event for them as have been and know) . . . not had to replace one yet.

End of 'Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?' BS.
Bill

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.06. 2018 21:16 »
I don't think anyone said that the Easycap doesn't work; I had one in my old Empire Star some years back and it was no trouble and worked, but then the original magneto set-up worked for decades too. Proven technology.
If the Easycap installation  was no more involved than removing the points etc etc then they would be ideal, but as the fitting involves getting into the guts of the mag (but still leaving the 70+ year old windings with it's possibly failing shellac in place) then it seems a short-sighted approach.
That's my take anyway.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 14.06. 2018 21:48 »
Rex,

I believe Brightspark Magnetos is very forthright regarding why an EasyCap might be a good choice. They recognize other potential causes of failure while noting that capacitors are the most common cause. The text below is clipped from the Brightspark website. My EasyCap made a difference in starting when hot. I would not consider anyone pondering an EasyCap to be shortsighted, or consider Brightspark shortsighted for seeing the need. Let's say you are pondering a complete mag rebuild or just an EasyCap. In my opinion the complete rebuild should have an EasyCap. So, you buy an EasyCap and test it in the mag off the bike using a drill motor to spin it (the mag, not the bike). If there is suddenly very good spark where there hadn't been previously, Bob's your uncle. If not, then, go for the complete rebuild. Bob's still your uncle, just not your rich uncle. 

Although many things can be the cause of failure, particularly when hot, capacitors are the commonest cause of 'internal' magneto failure. Despite their modest cost, replacing them in the traditional way requires time and a certain amount of skill. Often, it will only be undertaken in the context of a full overhaul and rewind of the coils.

Because capacitors fail more often than HT windings, our objective with the EasyCap has been to separate capacitor replacement and maintenance from the 'full works' rebuild/rewind, while at the same time empowering the magneto owner to tackle the work required for the initial fitment of one of our EasyCap products.

Richard L.

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 15.06. 2018 17:01 »
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice. I am speaking with Bill at Brightspark to make sure I get it right.

In the meantime, here's a photo of my circuit breaker - does anything look awry? Other than the filth all over the engine.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.06. 2018 22:07 »

..... here's a photo of my circuit breaker - does anything look awry? .....

Spring looks a bit close to the Cam-ring
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 16.06. 2018 19:04 »
I fitted an easy cap last winter, when I bought the bike a couple of years ago it had had a recon magneto but was always a slightly reluctant starter so decided to give one a try. Fitting was nowhere near as hard as I'd imagined and it transformed starting, previously everything had to be just right...choke and advance levers etc...then a mighty leap on the kickstart and it'd start if it felt like it. With the easy cap fitted it changed into a reliable first or second kick starter...money well spent!