Author Topic: where has the oil gone  (Read 2098 times)

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
Re: where has the oil gone
« Reply #15 on: 20.03. 2019 20:11 »
I thought Berger had quite a bit of damage from that reversed pipe run, if I read correctly? Not the total destruction one might expect tho.

Glen

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 20.03. 2019 20:16 »
Did you prime the scavenge pick-up?

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #17 on: 20.03. 2019 22:04 »
worntorn lots of damage but it kept running on a bit of mist as I found out when I took the prv out and started it, just to see spits of mist and no proper flow. once I realised what I had done I put the pipes correct and put my test gauge into the prv with the relief blocked off and was surprised to see the gauge fly round and the connecting pipe BALLOON! stopped the engine before me and a mate got covered, big end shells took a lot of the pain and not the crank ,and the top end with colisbro guides wasn't hurt at all!!cam and followers toast- left hand barrel gauged by circlip, pistons hammered , cam bushes toast with super wear at the bottom of them of coarse, and what could be described as a rattle pump [oil pump] that still threw a lot of pressure out. this was changed because I didn't trust it with new rebuilt engine but it was still performing outstandingly. I am very lucky not to have been in a complete snotty mess , I was doing 80's mph on duel carriageway *eek*. when I saw what my oil pump could do after it had been beaten up I wonder why these other bikes can't return the oil *conf2* edit I forgot idler bushes not too happy as well. breather cork fed up, and as musky pointed out when I thought I advanced the timing I retarded it which killed everything and had to coast into the side listening to her dying  . several fags later after I realised I had cooked it [it was furnace hot!!]I jumped on the kicker and several kicks fired her up and I nursed her home at 30 -40 mph not sounding very happy. unbelievable story I know but over filling the tank helped me get away with it as every now and then on a left hander oil was over the return hole. so what I am getting at is the pump was pulling a bit of oil even after it had been pulling air the same as when it was on the side stand when I did the pressure check and got oil mist but no pressure--- until I put the pipes are calling the right way round! I remember taking the feed off at the engine and nothing was there and thought blockage , then looked twice...… PILLOCK that will never happen again different  connections now, thankyou for listening the purse was emptied on the rebuild!!!

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #18 on: 21.03. 2019 10:20 »
Both my A’s appear reliable normally this is only the 2nd real can not use it problem on the A10 and the A7 has occasional little faults but just needs regular TLC.
I have not touched anything on the timing side so oil pipes etc. are defiantly correct. She has done 400 miles since her last little episode and once she cleared herself of smoke etc has not used any oil or caused any real problem. She has sat for three months which is a long time for one of my bikes, so could be oil turning to sludge and blocking the return. I will remove sump plate like last time check if return appears clear and prime it, then this time I will put a large jug under her with some oil in and a pipe extension from the return pipe into that oil and see what happens.

ps thought I posted this last night :)
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #19 on: 29.03. 2019 15:12 »
The return pipe extension into a jam jar he been done and the oil disappeared from the jar really quickly and back into the tank. SO I will put her hack together prime the return side and see what happens. Just have to check every time that there is a good return.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #20 on: 30.03. 2019 16:02 »
Well that bit is all back together and primed with oil, then a good return to tank. The lesson I think is IF you drain the sump and leave for any length of time make sure you prime the pump with oil before starting. It maybe that the return of the pump is a bit tired but it does not like pumping air. Onto the last job rear brake.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #21 on: 14.06. 2019 09:29 »
Oh Bugger, 500 nice joyful miles on multiple rides and then a lake of 'oil' under the bike. I have a theory this time, will report later.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #22 on: 15.06. 2019 12:46 »
The saga continues. I know I should have stripped and checked but she rides so nice and good return to the oil tank. So I have been riding and monitoring oil level in tank with marked dip stick and she did not appear to be using or losing any oil with regular riding covering appox 500 miles. Then a two week layup. Started her up and checked oil return all good, left her ticking over whilst getting my riding gear. Upon my return a lake of ‘oil’ underneath her checked and tank still full with good return flow but oil smelt strongly of petrol checked with finger and very thin and more like petrol then oil.
I checked petrol taps and one has a leak into the fuel pipe, quite a rapid dip now fixed with a new cork. Today I drained ‘oil’ 1.5 litres in sump of very thin black liquid, the same stuff in the oil tank. Not much sludge on the magnetic drain plug. I really don’t know how the engine has not blown up in a big way, but she sounded really sweet when sitting there ticking over so smoke or rattles at all.
So my theory, the leaky tap has allowed petrol to get into the engine (I thought the float chamber needle valve should stop that) and fill the sump diluting the oil, the two week layup with the leak and thinned oil have caused an excessive amount of the mixture in the sump which has caused her to pump the stuff out of the breather and all over the ground. It could have been the problem all along.
I think I will get a new viton tip needle value in case of another leak or someone leaving the tap on. I will put some oil in her and kick it through to clean the oil ways of this thin stuff then drain again and try her with fresh oil again.
I need her for a trip to Scotland in the autumn with my VMCC section and my son (I don’t trust the Norton as much yet)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #23 on: 15.06. 2019 21:41 »
G'day Angus.
Now change the topic title to "where did all the extra oil come from"  *smile*
Yes if used daily the small amount of fuel seeping in will get evaporated out once it all gets hot. 1.25Lt in there could have been catastrophic.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #24 on: 23.06. 2019 15:16 »
Well I am really not sure what to do. Put a couple of litres of halfords 20/50 classic oil in. Primed the oil system with lots of kicks (plugs out). Started her up good return to tank and no nasty noises that I can hear. Drained sump quite a bit of sludge on the magnetic plug, drain the tank quit a lot of sludge in there to, I had cleaned it before putting new oil in. Anyway refilled with the 20/50 oil, primed and ran her for about 15 miles. She seams to be fine came home and had a careful listen no nasty noises, put her in gear and slipped the clutch to put her under load still nothing noise wise. A little oil underneath her but that could be left over from before. Gave her some quick revs some black smoke but that is petrol (oil is white smoke I believe) and no additional oil underneath.

Offline paulmbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #25 on: 23.06. 2019 19:35 »
I had this problem on a A10, riding one day looked down oil everywhere, brought home and checked everything changed pump cleaned out oil ways the lot could not sort it, then sitting there one night and thought what about pressure release valve dismissed it at first as thought that can not cause it, anyhow in desperation swapped it with a spare and Bingo all fine, makes no sence but it worked