Author Topic: Colour scheme question  (Read 3083 times)

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Colour scheme question
« Reply #45 on: 15.08. 2019 10:50 »

But is it an ORIGINAL 1950 golden flash or a 1950 Golden Flash that has been repainted 25 times ?

We might also take a moment to reflect upon the fact that we are talking about a 1958 bike, not a 1950 bike .

And of course a digital camera does not record TRUE COLOURS and on top of that computer screens all render colour differently so trying to determine the actual colour of anything off a computer image is a fools errand.

There is a reason why printers have $ 5000 computer screens and calibrate them almost daily if not more often.

Sorry folks, I don't know the history of the bike in the photos, so I don't have the answer to the first query. Someone went to an extraordinary effort to paint the wheel rims though. Not a job I'd like to take on.

Steverat's reply to Musky in Reply 10 says it's a 1951 bike.

I do agree with BSA_54A10 about the various colours obtained with different quality cameras, computers and monitors, something most are aware of . . . but I cannot agree that printers calibrate their equipment daily if not more often. I worked in the printing trade for 40 years as the industry progressed from letterpress to offset lithography, then to paste-up on drawing boards and eventually computers. First as a qualified letterpress compositor and finally as a graphic artist working mainly on computers. In my 40 years experience working in many different printing and advertising jobs maintenance was only carried out when absolutely necessary - as it stopped work.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 15.08. 2019 11:05 »
Swarfy – remember those metallic cellulose days. I could paint a front wing, hand the paint gun to another person who’d paint the door and he’d pass it to someone who’d paint the rear wing. And you’d have three different shades of the same colour, because the shade depends on where the metal ends up in the paint. Spray distance and thickness applied make a huge difference. I recall in around ’70 we had a silver Capri in with front wing damage. Ended up spraying the whole car. These days, painters don’t know they’re born. You paint the front wing and then mist across the next panel so that by the end you’re at original finish. Then apply lacquer. Can’t do that with cellulose.
With the A series I think half the trouble is that people are hung up on the word ‘golden’ when in fact the colour is near halfway between gold and silver.
I had an oil tank that had been in my store for decades and was, with 99% certainty, original paint. I cleaned the back and matched as close to that as I could. Is it accurate? Who knows, but I’m happy with it and that’s the main thing. In my view some go too far in their quest for originality, to the extent it’s actually better finished than when it left the factory. That’s no longer original.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #47 on: 15.08. 2019 11:07 »
Here is a final picture  of Josef's bike just before it left for Germany in March. 
Steve

Looks perfection Steve, but I hope it's the correct colour black  ;) and I, for one, don't blame you for not tackling the wheel rims  *eek*.

1960 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #48 on: 15.08. 2019 11:50 »
Well done Steve  *yeah* he should be proud.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 15.08. 2019 16:04 »
Here is a final picture  of Josef's bike just before it left for Germany in March.
Is the bike behaving itself now?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Steverat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #50 on: 17.08. 2019 11:20 »
Is the bike behaving itself now?

No still running rough, I sent him a spare K2F to try , just waiting for him to do that now. Bike has been shown in static displays however!

1951 BSA A10 - now returned to Germany
1972 Triumph T100R Daytona
1924 B-S SS80
1965 Triumph SH Cub
1960 AJS M18CS