Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129199 times)

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #705 on: 23.06. 2019 00:13 »
Had my hooligan head on today ( tough time recently, funeral on Monday, brother in a mess) and made time to get the A10 out. Throttle has been sticking open recently but that just adds to the fun. Flying down some familiar country lanes with fistfulls of revs was just what the doctor ordered! Really needed to get out and about and focus on the road ahead. Considering how poor the braking is it was reassuring to feel how hot the plates had got upon my return. Definately some friction there so maybe they are working!
Love this forum by the way, am ghosting of late but like to check in and keep an eye on the banter. Keeps a smile on my face when times are hard. Mind you some of the filth that GB comes out with would make Berger's barmaid blush!
 *pull hair out* *bash* *beer* *beer* *respect* *clap*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #706 on: 23.06. 2019 01:45 »
G'day Jim.
Riding a bike frees your mind of troubles. Stuck WOT requires most of your attention.
Quite common on my racer on methanol to freeze wide open. Bit of a worry at 125 MPH. :o
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #707 on: 23.06. 2019 03:02 »
Had my hooligan head on today ( tough time recently, funeral on Monday, brother in a mess) and made time to get the A10 out.

Jim,

Thoughts and hope's for peace and better times ahead out to you.

Richard L.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #708 on: 23.06. 2019 07:55 »
Bess. That rather nice picture and the mention of Dartmoor made me think this was the bike with electrical problems, from a couple of weeks ago. No, its not. That is Dartmoor Star, and we still don't know if its fixed.

How lucky you, Roger and the Star are to have that bit of wilderness on your doorstep. Where was the picture taken? 

Jimbo.. The best therapy in the world, well done fella. (Don't disconnect that kill button!)

GB.. I am entertained by your humour, some consider it filth, but it always makes me laugh, same as Musky's road sign.

Swarfy.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #709 on: 30.06. 2019 09:15 »
G'day fellas.
The wife's been away for two weeks and another three to go (bliss most of you say) visiting mum & grand kids. I haven't seen them for 18 months (another bliss moment) so thought I'd better do the right thing. Rode the rHonda 1100 as it's not been out since the rebuild. Cold and moist ride up took 5 hours due to wet corners but I had a ball coming home on nearly dry roads in 4 hours with two petrol stops and a stop to thaw hands out.
Oh the wife and kids were happy to see me (alive) and reffed a soccer/rugby match between the cousins.
Cheers
https://tinyurl.com/y3fgtrvw
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #710 on: 30.06. 2019 10:14 »
Hi all.  Went for a 190m ride around Lincolnshire yesterday in the heat.  Thought it would be a bit flat and boring, boy was I wrong.  Lovely twisty roads in places that stretch into the distance, very few cars, not a single Police ambush van (saw one cop car all day and that was in Gainsborough).  Absolutely lovely!  Sore neck when I got home though.  Bike never missed a beat (replaced plugs to see if it cured a bit of a pop and bang on acceleration - it did).  Sunglasses were the only casualty of the day - got an emergency pair to see me home.  Days don't get much better than this on a bike - just biking bliss. *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *loveit* *loveit* *loveit*

By the way, how many miles should I expect to get out of plugs??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #711 on: 30.06. 2019 10:33 »

Hey Musko, is that road all sealed? Reason for ask is because on my return trip from Mullbin back in '99, I left 'come-in-Can-berra' and did a bee-line for orange to see a buddy, and the road I took was gravel all the way between highways...there was a real old stone-built pub with short doors half way along....been trying to figure where that pub is.....any idea? I've a feeling it's a bit west of where you went though *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #712 on: 30.06. 2019 17:04 »
Today I rode from South West Wales to home, a distance of 150 miles. The weather was good. The roads were good. The bike was good. I am happy!  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #713 on: 30.06. 2019 21:08 »
G'dat duTch.
That was probably Tuena. The road was sealed a few years back. I nearly bought that pub in 05 (before sealing) for $160K. It's closed now, investors bought it and took the license for a trendy wine bar in the big smoke.
All tar the way I went. The only straight bits were this side of Goulburn. Only saw one plod who gave me a wink (flash of lights to slow me down) the whole way and only 3 or 4 sets of traffic lights, no stop signs and bugger all traffic.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #714 on: 30.06. 2019 22:33 »

That was probably Tuena. The road was sealed a few years back. I nearly bought that pub in 05 (before sealing) for $160K. It's closed now, investors bought it and took the license for a trendy wine bar in the big smoke. ....

Ta for that, I'll chase out up- too bad it closed due to that- those pricks are killing civilization
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #715 on: 01.07. 2019 08:29 »

That was probably Tuena. T.....

Just punched 'Tuena' into GoogleEarth and it took me straight there- fairly much as I remember it.... only problem is I didn't see th' 'orse ...... *smile*
Australia

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #716 on: 01.07. 2019 09:42 »
Removed the sidecar, got the bike onto the lift and gave it a good polish.
I am now waiting for my Thorspark to arrive, I hope I don't cock it up.  *eek*

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #717 on: 03.07. 2019 18:29 »
Decided to rebuild the dynamo having purchased new armature and field coil after the previous armature burnt out. Everything went great until I started the bike up only to find that it was not charging, then realised in my haste I had not checked the rotation  so stripped it off again  checked the rotation and found it was rotating the wrong way reversed the brushes checked and found it was now rotating the right way fitted to the bike and now charging OK. Must in future take more time and be in less of a hurry and use ones remaing brain cells a bit more as that is what they are for.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #718 on: 04.07. 2019 18:06 »
130 miles to 'Andrews field', on the A10 after her troubles. She rattled a bit when first put back together but it was the dyno chain thank god. I checked the timing side main while there and it moves 2.76 thou (.07 mill) so according to other posts good for a while yet. She ran fine although when hot a little hesitation/splutter at 40 in top when trying to accelerating, I can live with that  *smile*
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

beezermacc

« Reply #719 on: 04.07. 2019 21:17 »
Just got home after a 700 mile round trip from Macclesfield, Cheshire. On Wednesday 26th June six of us (4 x A10, 1x A65 and 1 x Tribsa) rode from Macclesfield to Hull, got the overnight ferry, then rode from Europoort to Coevorden in Holland. We had a day off on Friday, then on Saturday we did a 75 mile circular tour over the border into Germany. On Sunday we rode to Assen (70 mile round trip) to watch the MotoGP. Another day off on Monday, then Tuesday back to the ferry, and Wednesday the 130 mile trip back from Hull to sunny Cheshire. We had no breakdowns. One of our group will be writing an article for The Star BSAOC magazine which should find its way into the September edition.