Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 128829 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #75 on: 22.08. 2018 08:55 »
Unbolted the seat from my V50 last night. It's been gaffer taped up for a few years now and the base is getting to look quite rusty.

Pulled all of the cover off and then managed to part the foam from the base without too much collateral damage. Base is less frail than I feared. It will get a buzz over and some Smoothrite sprayed over it. I have a burn in the foam to fill in. Then a new cover; thought I had one kicking around but not sure where now. Otherwise they are available on ebay at no great cost.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: 22.08. 2018 10:17 »
While on a ride I got stung on the chest by a bee. I brushed a tickle away and felt the sting! I was taking part in an organised ride so could not stop. The pain kept coming back. When I got home and looked in a mirror I could see the stinger, along with its poison sack still embedded in my tender young flesh! Bloody thing must have been pumping poison into me all the time! Such fun.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #77 on: 22.08. 2018 11:51 »
While on a ride I got stung on the chest by a bee. I brushed a tickle away and felt the sting! I was taking part in an organised ride so could not stop. The pain kept coming back. When I got home and looked in a mirror I could see the stinger, along with its poison sack still embedded in my tender young flesh! Bloody thing must have been pumping poison into me all the time! Such fun.

The new speculation will be, "How many stings does it take to take GB out of an organized ride?" GB es muy macho. Was this a topless ride?

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #78 on: 22.08. 2018 14:59 »

While on a ride I got stung on the chest by a bee............ Bloody thing must have been pumping poison into me all the time! Such fun.

That's enough to give anyone the HeBee GeeBees..... *whistle*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #79 on: 22.08. 2018 15:09 »
And to think GB got such a buzz outa that ride too. (well I'll bee)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #80 on: 22.08. 2018 17:01 »
The new speculation will be, "How many stings does it take to take GB out of an organized ride?" GB es muy macho. Was this a topless ride?
The weather is still quite warm here so I had my jacket unzipped at the top.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #81 on: 22.08. 2018 17:04 »
Rode the Norton on the Tuesday night VMCC run, last to leave in the dark, started first kick, switch on lights… no lights. Play with switches, wires anything…. No lights. Get picked up and use van to bring it home in disgrace. Just looked at it checked dynamo (had problem before), looked OK, check battery fully charged, took out fuse not blown DAMIK. Put fuse back in and Leant on horn button load beep, and everything worked again. Now I have rechecked it three times and it all works and I can not break it. I think this bike hates me.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #82 on: 22.08. 2018 18:14 »
it may happen again, I had a fuse holder that I let drive me round the bend for a week. then ripped the darn thing out put another one in and no more problems.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: 22.08. 2018 19:27 »
Yesterday when I started the bike it did not want to rev.
 I had fouled the left plug.

The bike has 40 or fifty miles now so I pulled off the rocker box and retorqued the head.

Got 1/4 to 3/8 turn out of each, but the two forwardmost took 3/4 turn each.

I am hoping that's why the left is a bit oily, and it's not a guide. I reamed them by hand, and I could have super sized one. We will see.

Set the valve clearance, and hope to be able to ride it later.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #84 on: 22.08. 2018 21:50 »
finished making up new fuel lines, put some fuel in the tank and proceeded to give the engine a fire up.
Have had multiple problems with the carb all cured, my brother and nephew have been really impressed how easy this Flash is to start, just a third of kickstart travel and off she goes, not today tho, not a cheep, good spark, so what  have I done, I changed the throttle cable, slide goes up and down with the twistgrip, fuel works fine in the lawnmower, got to be something simple.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #85 on: 22.08. 2018 23:39 »
Maybe your brother and nephew have to be there for it to start? Having a hard time understanding which work was done between impressing the relatives and not starting.

Richard L.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #86 on: 23.08. 2018 13:24 »
Got M21 paint touching up done... Went for a ride yesterday bike all over the place, thought I had somehow tightened up the steering damper or got some paint in there which had dried out. Turns out on checking things...and lining up rear wheel which was just a quarter of an inch out, there was a bolt that was just a tad too long touching tyre. All fixed now!
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #87 on: 23.08. 2018 20:28 »
Had a blocking rear wheel a few days ago on ride in the mountains. Now I was inspecting the oil in the sump for traces of metal... couldn't find anything suspicious. I suppose when it's getting colder, I will take off the head and the barrels to have a look at the pistons and rings.
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

beezermacc

« Reply #88 on: 23.08. 2018 21:37 »
Had to make new screw for anti wet sump valve out of 3/8 whitworth bar, previous had been bodged when removed. Collected crankshaft from grinding shop, cleaned crankcases, fitted drive side bearing and timing side bush but still have to ream it out.... tomorrow's job, along with fitting sludge trap.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #89 on: 23.08. 2018 21:40 »
Having a hard time understanding which work was done between impressing the relatives and not starting.

Me too, nothing wrong with the throttle cable.
A rather far fetched theory, I treated the tank with rust remover, was impressed with it. swished petrol around the tank to flush out any residue, took three goes before the petrol came out clean, now I wonder could the treatment have left a chemical that has reacted with the petrol reducing it's potency, I rather doubt it but have swished some more petrol around the tank in case it did.
took carb to bits to check noting amiss , damn thing started to leak at jet cover nut again, think I have it sussed maybe you got to leave the jet block locating screw very loose before you tighten up the jet cover nut ---- maybe.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow …...
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco