Author Topic: QD Hub non chain side bearing removal  (Read 507 times)

Offline dsj666

• Moving Up
QD Hub non chain side bearing removal
« on: 19.09. 2018 09:37 »
I've got a 1954 A10 plunger QD hub and I'd like some confirmation of bearing removal method in case I damage anything.

After carefully removing the large round cover which was spot welded with 3 tiny welds (is this normal?) to expose the hub end.
I've removed the threaded plug from the chain side and successfully removed that bearing but I'm a bit unsure about the non chain side bearing.
Some diagrams show another threaded plug on this side too but mine seems to be just a cap with no provision to unscrew it. It looks like its just pressed on?
The bearing spacer tube is still inside the hub as it appears to have a flange on it trapping it behind the chain side bearing seat.

So my question is....can the non chain side bearing just be drifted out (via the spacer) and it'll push the hub cap off?
See photos of each end.

1954 A10 Plunger (in bits)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: QD Hub non chain side bearing removal
« Reply #1 on: 19.09. 2018 09:48 »
You have separated the dust cover parts. Those spot welds attach the saucer shaped part to the bit that fits, via friction, to the hub. If you get that part off the hub you will see a similar screw-in bearing retainer as the other end. Getting those dust covers off without damaging them is a right pain in the bum.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.09. 2018 09:58 »
 What GB said, and I think it may be a Left-Hand thread- can't quite tell properly from my spare as the thread is damaged....I had a bitch time getting a gap enough in the show to get a bite on for a drift or anything, made a 'special tool' and it came good...can't remember if I tried heat first though

Probably you should sneak over to Intro page and feed us some bullshit about you before anyone notices it's your first post (if you haven't already)  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline dsj666

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 19.09. 2018 10:56 »
Ah...Now i understand the exploded hub diagram..!!!

I suppose the only way to remove that cover is a bit of heat and try and lever up the exposed edge with a screwdriver or similar?
Then the fun bit of undoing the inner plug.
Its probably never been off since 1954!

Thanks for the heads up re: the intro page.
It is my first post and very impressed by the quick replies...a great help...cheers

Offline dsj666

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 19.09. 2018 22:16 »
UPDATE

Just proves knowledge is the most valuable tool in your box..!!!!

Got the hub stripped down in 5 minutes tonight ;) once I knew what I was dealing with....using the help from this forum ... *beer*

A little heat on the dust cover and it came straight off with some careful levering , then the LH threaded plug came out no problem too. Perhaps its just my lucky day!

Plus the dust cover is virtually undamaged (apart from the spot welds..!!)

Slightly weird design? I can't imagine anyone can get that cover off without breaking it apart, even back in the day when it was current.
Perhaps that's why the welds are so small?

Thinking about it the plugs are a little weird too, both being LH thread?
I'd expect one to be LH and the other RH to prevent rotation causing them to undo. But as they're both the same why not make them "normal" RH to avoid mistakes?

Anyway, perhaps that's thinking too deeply about it...!!

Thanks

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.09. 2018 22:49 »
Dust covers: cheap as chips back in the day. Plus they didn't have a sixty year accumulation of crud in there. I managed to get my one off complete. Had to do some minor tin bashing to make it look presentable. I've slackened it off a tad with emery cloth and greased it with Copper grease so I can get it off again.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash