Author Topic: 2018 Cannonball run (motorcycle) Portland Maine to Portland Oregon  (Read 364 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
A bit late for most, as it ends this weekend, but some of us locally are going to the final stop. Technically it DOES NOT end in Portland Oregon, But close enough for hand grenades and horse shoes.. Its ending on the Washington state side of the river up at a Swanky joint called "Skamania Lodge"

(Fun fact, Skamania lodges golf courses became internationally known last year when we had a huge wildfire in the Columbia river gorge.  Some photos online went viral of golfers playing their game with the conflagration burning in the background.  I had hosted some folks from Scotland the week prior and took them to a look out point over the Gorge area near where the fire burned.  They were shocked they were just there, AND that Golfers would keep playing.  My response is what Self Respecting Scotsman would let ANYTHING interrupt a Golf game? )

Any rate, Some significant people will be there. I understand 125 riders this year??  All pre 1930 and does not appear to be any BSAs but 2 Brough superiors, and 2 Nortons (probably NOTRUNS at this point)

( A bit of an inside joke  about Falco)

https://thevintagent.com/2018/09/14/cannonball-2018-midweek-in-the-midwest/

One of the riders is Paul D'Orleans... who runs "The Vintagent" and is riding a Brough Superior across the US. (Creme de'la Creme) But there is 2 Nortons although very likely they will be NOT-RUNS at this point but we can hope.

One of the other Riders is Charles Falco,(AKA MagnetoMan), Maybe we can ask him about Pinort, and the "Prison speaking man" "Put a Boyah on it" and who ran over Pinorts Norton.   Or at least get an update after all these years, Why isnt that BSA Spitfire done yet?

(Inquiring minds want to know,, Ford Falcon?  or F-A-L-C-O.................?)

Weather looks great for Sunday, at the termination of the event at Skamania Lodge in Stevenson Washington, So perhaps will be a grand event to attend. Sunday be there or be square.  Or...... They will be in the Dalles Oregon on Saturday if want to follow them in to the last stop.

Besides the Scenery, And adventures riding, Some of the adventure was not optimum,,

"  While waiting for the chase truck, a young local pulled up on his yellow dirt bike, asking all sorts of questions about our bikes.  He (Alex) seemed good company for Alan, so I left them and motored on.  As they chatted on the sidewalk, a shirtless, bedraggled homeowner emerged with a double-barreled shotgun, shouting ‘get off my flowers!’  Alan replied he was in fact on the sidewalk, but the man repeated his demand, and pointed the shotgun at them, at which point Alex exited, but not before Alan told him to call the police.  At that moment, the chase truck arrived, and Alan was rescued from the scene.  But the fellow had a visit from several police cars, and was arrested, saying in his defense ‘I thought they were both black guys’.

http://motorcyclecannonball.com/route/

Saturday, September 22
The Dalles, OR

Sponsored by The Dalles Area Chamber of Commerce, Federal Street is the Official Checkpoint for Stage 14 for the 2018 Motorcycle Cannonball. You will be able to see all the riders check in and get your Official Motorcycle Cannonball Merchandise as riders begin to arrive at approximately 5:00 pm. Followed by check in, Sedition Brewing Company will be providing the riders with dinner where they will be on display until 6:30 pm.

Sunday, September 23
Grand Finish         The Official Checkpoint for Stage 15 and the Grand Finish will be held at Skamania Lodge. Riders will begin arriving at approximately 2:30 pm and will be on display until approximately 4:00 pm. Please join us to celebrate the riders and their accomplishments! You will also be able to get your Official Motorcycle Cannonball Merchandise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September of 2014 found 101 anxious riders lined up on the sandy beaches of Daytona, Florida. Eagerly anticipating the 16 days of truly incredible riding that lay ahead of them, Cannonballers from around the world set their sights on Tacoma, Washington.  Along the way, businesses hosted the group and invited local fans to visit the thrill seekers at organized events just the way early American’s did for Cannonball Baker on his cross-country excursions. People came out in hordes, packing venues for an opportunity to see the rolling museums and meet the brave jockeys as they passed through their towns. The words “Motorcycle Cannonball” became a household name and the world of motorcycling would never be the same. The interest in antiques was revived. Motorcycle auctions, eBay and every platform available for antique motorcycles and parts became flooded with Cannonball hopeful’s searches for a qualified vehicle to carry them across the country.
The 2016 Race of the Century route from Atlantic City, New Jersey to Carlsbad, California was set, Lonnie Isam, Jr. was fighting for his life against cancer. As plans for the 2018 run were being laid out, the Motorcycle Cannonball’s beloved founder handed the mantle over to his business partner and friend, Jason Sims, before he quietly passed away in August of 2017.
As the route is being finalized for the September 2018 run from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon, the roster is full. There is a waiting list of hopefuls and riders are carefully preparing their machines for what guarantees to be an experience of life long memories. Thrill-seeking daredevils will jockey their antiques along the roads of adventure and brotherhood once again. For 2018, however, riders will honor their beloved and respected visionary’s memory as they continue to show the world what endurance and integrity in motorcycling is all about.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 Motorcycle Cannonball Details
     Ten years ago, one man set out to become the first person to take a group of like-minded antique motorcycle riders across the United States on machines that were only often seen in museums and private collections.  In 2010, Lonnie Isam Jr’s dream and bold sense of adventure took him and his friends from one ocean to the other, forever setting the standard of endurance for man and machine.  Since 2010, history has been made and continues to be made; machines are coming out of the woodwork, they are being ridden, they are being enjoyed, and they are being put to the Motorcycle Cannonball test. 
     The next adventure…the next epic journey… the next ride…will be nothing to slouch at.  The next experience will again take us from coast to coast; again it will be a true endurance.  It will pit man vs. machine on some of the best two lane, back roads that our beautiful country has to offer!
This event will feature motorcycles built before 1929.
     In early September 2018, one hundred or so Motorcycle Cannonball riders will start a two-week journey across the United States on motorcycles built before 1929.  The route will start on the east coast in Portland, Maine, and end on the west coast in Portland, Oregon with a rest day halfway through in Historic Sturgis, SD.
           This northern route could certainly include all types of weather; from tropical storms and 90-degree temperatures in the East to freezing temperatures and snow in the mountains of the North.  With 12 hours of daylight, riders will average around 250 miles per day, culminating in approximately 3,750 miles.  All bikes will run the same route in an allotted time schedule.  Motorcycles will need to maintain at least 43-50 mph on straight, flat roads.  It is estimated that less than 10 miles will be run on interstate highways, and less than 1 of those miles on urban interstates.
     The competition will involve correctly navigating the route using each day’s Course Instructions.  The winner for each class will be the motorcycle and its rider that covers the most on-route mileage over the 16-day run, within each day’s specified time schedule and in compliance with the Event Regulations

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Heres a picture from last year,, I hope the bike show is much more relaxed.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Sluggo
I just arrived at the Dalles overnight hotel
Hope to talk with you tomorrow?
Arrival at the finish has been delayed till about 2.30 pm
I have to say that the Norton prepared by Keith Martin and his Big D crew have been running very well, only one bike dropped 20 points due to a tapped guide coming adrift from the crankcase
They were very helpful on 2 occasions providing bike ramps lighting, and use of their lathe so I could modify a 16 H valve guide to fit magnetomans Ariel
And to re attach the gearbox sprocket earlier
3 1920'S Triumphs are also going really well, I didnt think they would have been so good  *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Hi Sluggo
I just arrived at the Dalles overnight hotel
Hope to talk with you tomorrow?
Arrival at the finish has been delayed till about 2.30 pm
I have to say that the Norton prepared by Keith Martin and his Big D crew have been running very well, only one bike dropped 20 points due to a tapped guide coming adrift from the crankcase
They were very helpful on 2 occasions providing bike ramps lighting, and use of their lathe so I could modify a 16 H valve guide to fit magnetomans Ariel
And to re attach the gearbox sprocket earlier
3 1920'S Triumphs are also going really well, I didnt think they would have been so good  *smile*

John

WOWSA!  *eek*  I had no idea anyone on this board was on the ride! How EXCELLENT!  Yes,, a number of us from the Oregon Vintage MC and Oregon Norton Enthusiasts (OVM & ONE) are riding up.  Last i heard was 5-6 are meeting in Jantzen beach and coming up, and a few of us are going the back way over the top of Mt Hood and cross over and down on Hwy 14.  I have a friend who is working at the Indian/Native fish camps for harvest (Chinook salmon and Steelhead are running) and he is meeting me for lunch in Stevenson.

(If you want a good buddy deal, I can hook you up, harvested with in a few hours,  Mrs Sluggo has been filling the freezer and smoke curing so we are set for winter till spring)

Ill will PM you my cell #, and I am taking 2 banners for our museum and the Norton club and will try to place them somewhere near the event.  That lodge is a very fancy place,, So might have to tread carefully.
Sadly  I wont be riding British,, and will be on the wifes HD Sportster as thats all thats running right now.
Another guy was here today and all his bikes are inop, but he is driving up in his 1958 MG Magnette, he was just in my driveway so, light green and dark green, His name is Chris.

We just had more rain come thru and a soaker last night, but Sunday is projected to be clear and sunny.  Motor on and God Speed!

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Sluggo and All
Attached is a photo of me and the Ariel on my McGyvered work bench
I have replied to your pm and hope to see you tomorrow
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
More soon, but an epic day!  Had a blast

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Just an update, I took lots of pictures and a video clip of them arriving, I was part way up the hill on the access road and next to one of the locals in his Morgan 3 wheeler, Some Norton club folks (one from SoCal) and some from the Vincent community.  Much fun and frivolity ensued.  Because of my hearing problems I had trouble hearing at times, But really enjoyed meeting and visiting with Chaterlea/John and many of the others.
Some of the local vintage guys have been discussing on our local forum so heres my update along with one of the Norton club guys video as he has good editing and filming skills (Part 2 will be uploaded soon,
--------------------------------------------------------
Mike Tylers video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzTsIyfGkg8&feature=youtu.be

--------------------------------------------------------
My comments and others cut & pasted from out local forum:

Nice Video! (much better than mine filmed from the entrance road)  But the strange thing is I never saw you there Mike?? 

I visited with Jimmie and mucho thanks to Jim for organizing and urging people to attend as I had other things going on, and would likely have missed the event had it not been for Jim pointing it out and reminding.

I also saw Dave F, Lots of other locals, but when I asked where you were I was told you had something else going on.  Were you there and then left or someone else filmed all this??  Regardless, great footage!  Seems there is editing as well, so good job.  (Do you do weddings as well?)

It was a great day.  Only 2 things fell off my bike. A shifter peg (Seems after my transmission service I didnt loctite everything) and that was a big surprise nearing the river when I went to downshift.  ( i had a spare in my tool roll and replaced it at the Lodge)  And the weird thing was, I had a stainless drink container turned into extra fuel reserve for emergencies (Small tank, so a precaution).  I had it secured to my Mil Spec backpack with a carabiner.  I returned to Troutdale via Hwy 84 and had been doing 60-75 mph and stopped for fuel in Troutdale at the truck stop.  I leaned fwd and heard *CLUNK* and the fuel can had fallen off my pack and onto the ground while at the pump.

Now, the amazing thing was it did not fall on the freeway at speed and while likely nothing would have happened,BUT  being a stainless cyl,, It COULD have sparked and created a 16oz Fireball,... I could just see the news coverage today...

"ANOTHER Fire in the Columbia river gorge, Freeway closed as crews battle a fire near Bonneville dam, Authorities are seeking a Motorcyclist seen in the area for questioning"   Luckily that did not happen.    However my advice is never trust a Chinese made Carabiner. 

I was able to talk to Charles Falco, and he autographed my BSA Goldstar book (He is the author) and I went also to meet up with what my friend Rons wife says are "Imaginary internet friends" as the mechanic and chase truck driver for 2 riders, was "Chaterlea John" from Ireland who flew over for the event. Another Irishman was also with them with a Harley, but had fallen ill the last few days so completed the event riding in the truck.  I helped them with their bikes a bit, or more likely was just in their way.

I also got to talk to Paul D'Orleans (The Vintagent) and we might be hosting him at the Museum for an event with any luck (Fingers crossed)  Charles Falco also said he would be willing to lecture on Magnetos (He IS afterall MagnetoMan) for the museum also.  Paul said "I didnt know Charlie had written a Goldstar book!"

Tom Ruttan was there and told me some of the riders were continuing on and in Portland today and then Astoria (oregon coast) and will be at the Lighthouse and a photo op, and thats a great idea as why not?  Tip to tip of the USA. So, good chance likely tomorrow to see them in Astoria.

I have a lot of pictures and my own video.   I heard a lot of people say the most fun guy on the ride was the Japanese guy who runs the MC shop in LA and he had a large number of Friends and family at the lodge.  A LOT of people said the Triumphs did surprisingly well on the whole trip. (Why not? Used to be Triumphs marketing as "Trusty Triumph")  The Nortons (3) did well overall, but one had a cam follower pop out and some other misc issues.
The Ariel Charlie rode had several problems, one was the clutch center nut came off. Not enough threads but they resecured it and loctite and staked it.

The Brough that Paul was riding I am told is a replica,, but that might not be true but I was told that by 2 people who were on the ride.

When I left the back of the lodge was strewn with bottles of champagne, Whiskey, Beer and cups and detritus of all kinds.  Some guests,, Soccer moms and Golf dads from Dunthorpe  & Happy Valley.. Seemed dazed and confused about the Biker influx.  I chatted with some of the lodge staff and we agreed it was a huge change of pace from normal day to day for the lodge.  (its a swanky joint)

There was a large Banquet and  ceremony getting underway, But as  I was riding out I looped back thru the lots and many riders and teams were camping in the parking lot (Maybe not everyone booked a room) Some were working on bikes, Some partying, some cooking.  I suppose 16 days straight on the road,, Why change?   But the funniest thing I saw was during the party on the lawn behind the lodge, Some woman, in full Scottish garb was wandering about playing bagpipes inexplicably.  One of the Irish men commented "Shes a bit of a looper!"  (Crazy) and told me that the woman and her husband had followed the travelling circus on some sort of scooters.  I am not sure if she serenaded with Bagpipes at every stop or not, but it was a bit surreal at the event.  I told them about the UNIPIPER in Portland , so hard to compete with a Darth vader riding a unicycle with bagpipes that shoot fire, but, still, it was interesting.

Some of the chase vehicles ranged from Deluxe Tourbus/Motorcoaches to road worn contractor trucks with Trailers.  John and his team used a Uhaul moving truck, said they averaged 9 mpg in the truck, plus whatever Uhaul charges for mileage would be expensive.  I suppose some MAY be able to pull off the trip on a budget but I heard from a knowledgeable source that average budgets for each rider was in the range of $30,000 for crew, vehicles, lodging, food, consumables etc.

Regardless,, What an epic adventure what a great location and destination!

What an amazing event it was at the final stage of the 2018 Motorcycle Cannonball event yesterday!
I hope you will enjoy a few sights and sounds of the incredible bikes arriving after a 16-day ride across America.
Cheers
Mike Tyler (Mi Ty)

https://youtu.be/fzTsIyfGkg8

__._,_.___
Posted by: Mike Tyler
----------------------------------
Well, I look fwd to the 2nd edition of the video, Much better than my version.
I wanted to hang 2 banners, one for the Museum and one for the Norton club, but logistics were a problem.  Plus I did not have time to setup luggage, sissy bar or other ways to secure them while riding.  I have some experience with crash recovery of acft, and well aware of the effects of  large deployable material
(Some acft use parachutes for emergencies) So I had visions of what COULD happen if a 10x3 ft banner were to come unfurled at 70 mph while riding, While not the shroud of Turin, I was concerned about the safety.

I was concerned as well about being able to display the banner, We have stayed at the lodge in the past and its a well run ship most of the time and they are very on top of an issue. I expected to be conf ronted by staff If I displayed it without permission.  So, when I saw John C and some other people I knew part way up the access road in a nice little spot, I decided to stop and setup there.  A LOT of people slowed down and stared at the banner and Johns Morgan 3 wheeler. There was a few near misses as well from people distracted for many reasons.

There was a guy from the SoCal Norton club, some Bonneville LSR guys and several from the Vincent community that all gathered at our spot.  My ONE banner was not optimally placed and crooked, but secured to a tree and my bike.   The SoCal Norton guy (Marshall) suggested moments before the riders arrived that we relocate it to some rocks and trees across the way.  GREAT idea! However there was no time by then and there was other reasons as well.  But I did get a couple pictures of the banner greeting riders and those coming in with John sitting in the Morgan.

At one point someone told us that ALL the riders were across the river at Cascade locks below Bridge of the Gods and were milling about, sightseeing and perhaps a riders meeting about the finale... I am certain they received a briefing about the finale at Skamania.  How they would park, what would happen, etc.  Some of the riders had trouble coming up the hill and one had auxiliary pedals and was pedalling like mad to get up the hill. (EPIC photo) Some couldnt get up the hill and stalled or just got off and pushed assist.  Some motored in with vigor!  (Again, some near crashes!)

I saw a LOT of the locals, but certainly not everyone.  It was Dave Friesen who said Mike was not there, But I have terrible hearing issues so perhaps I did not hear him correctly.   Tom Young was there, Tom Ruttan,, Nils from the OVM and his 2 brothers.  Terry Wolbert, and more that escapes my memory.  One who stood o ut was Crazy George who lives below my place down the hill. I was a bit shocked as, while a very accomplished rider and former racer,, He does not have a license due to medical issues.  He rides most days up to the bar by my house for coffee, but we live in a rural setting so unlikely to get stopped by the police. But another thing to ride to Skamania.  Several other neighbors of mine were there.  I am sure I will compare notes with them soon, but I kept it brief with them because if some of them get talking, you will be there for 2 hrs.

There was people there from all over the world,, Aussies, Asian, Germans, UK, One of the riders was from Maine and we talked fishing, he was very interested in the local fishing scene so I hooked him up with a contact from my friends who are with the tribal fish guys... he wanted to buy 200 pounds of Salmon for a cook out.  He told me he supplied 300 pounds (or was it 200?) of Maine Lobster and s erved it up near the beginning of the ride to everyone who started out in Maine.

I hung out in the crew area with some of the riders helping with loading their bikes (Too expensive to drop!) and Charles was talking about future rides.  The other Irish guy (Also John, riding a Harley) this was his 3rd or 4th Cannonball, But Charlie said he was not likely to do another.  But did say likely he would do a BSA ride in the SW as he lives in Arizona, We talked about my old Goldstar guru. GS Ron Halem and Charlie said he would like to do a big ride next year so, that could happen.    The logistics however for the Cannonball is amazing. Hats off to anyone who completes one, let alone how well you place.

Thank you again Jimmy for taking a lead role on this

The only person I saw that I knew was Doug besides the 5 folks who rode with me.  It was nice meeting his friend/Team Member from Ireland.

I saw the Norton Banner on the bike when I left at 5:00 PM

It's my opinion that Skamania Lodge was NOT the Real Race Finish for 3 reasons. 

I say it was a Ceremonial Checker Flag Event for the benefit of the Public.  Which makes a more compact time viewing of all the bikes.

1. They did not clock bikes as they arrived,

2.   And, on a normal race day it takes 3 or more hours for all Riders to arrive who don't need a lift on a "Trailer of Shame."

3.  The Owner/Rider in No. 2 Position, on the modified Indian, I talked to told me who was in what place for numerous riders.  The only way they really know is after they add up the time & points deducted which I believe was at the Dalles the night before.

Anyway, I thought it was GREAT!  My only regret is that I was not able to meet them in Kalispel, Montana for the last 3 day ride as originally planned.  That would have been STELLAR!

I eagerly look forward to find out where they will end up in 2020.  I would like to see them finish in Seaside at the Go-Around at the beach.  My several Emails to them back in 2014 & 2015 encouraging them to consider it for 2016 got no response.

jimmy jones

-----Original Message-----

Well, I was there. Hard to miss as I parked my bike next to John Carraway in his 3 wheeled Morgan on the entrance road and I hung a large 10 foot banner with neon orange cargo straps to a tree and the bars of my bike.  I wanted to hang 2 banners but had strapped the one to my backpack, so was Worried about them on the road at 70 mph.
But the banner said "Oregon Norton Enthusiasts".  After the crowd thinned along the entry, I packed up and went up to the lodge, I draped the ONE banner over my bike and was parked with all the other bikes by the front door.  I hung around the party and visited with many people, saw a number of the usual suspect locals, Jimmy who got the ride organized I presumed you rode with? And saw Dave F at one point. 

I had 2 switch covers in my backpack, but I suppose it would have been helpful to have preexchanged cell numbers.  Still have the covers if you like.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Mikes mad editing skills are showing, He already has part 2 of the videos up.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVNUGYsdfPQ   

See if you can spot me, Im the old guy with grey hair!  A little overweight, and carrying a leather jacket.   

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
More from one of the locals in our Norton Nutters club, Swoosh Dave (He works for Nike as a graphics guy) is very dialed in with editing, photos and computers, more so than a luddite like me, Posted a series of pix and links to both of Mike Tylers videos (Mike ALSO works for NIKE Corp) although Mike is from the UK originally.
(Damn immigrants!)

So, better pictures than mine and I have to download, edit and resize mine which wont happen soon.  But he DID post a nice pix of John/Chatterlea25, I had introduced Swoosh to John moments earlier and we wanted a pix of him with the bike he fettled across the US.

The write up over on the INaccessible Notrun site...
(LAB the admin is  a particular issue, but other than that,,,,)
See: https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonCommando/2018-cannonball-finish.26157/

And here is the lovely picture of your forum hero. Well deserved accolades!  3 cheers!

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
A few more photos, I have LOTS more,, but its time consuming to resize them and not all that BSA related. PING me direct if you want to see others or more.

Here is a picture with me and the famous "Magnetoman" Charles Falco,, (He autographed my book) who was rider #123?  On the Ariel that Chatterlea25/john fettled.

Here is MC celebrity Paul D'Orleans, who runs the Vintagent website and is a VIP at a lot of events as well as frequent writer in a lot of publications and other sites.  (Seems like a really likable guy)

Here is one more of list celebrity John/Chatterlea25 in front of his luxury accomodations for the evening of accolades and cheer. (its a VERY swanky joint)

Here is the "looper" or nutter with the bagpipes,, Perhaps John can fill us in more on what was the story with her?  He mentioned that she followed the ride cross country on some sort of scooter and Moped and I am unclear on this part, but possible played her pipes at the stops?  Not sure WHY???  I am wondering in this picture if the person standing in front of her is complaining "MUST you do that so often?"  Or,, cheering her on?  Maybe she takes requests? (Beer barrel Polka? When the saints go marching in? Danny boy?)

and lastly,, American Iron,., However its an iconic image. Kind of summed up the whole thing if you ask me.
(Rub the Buddha for good luck)

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Almost forgot,,, I WANTED to put up banners for the NW Vintage Car and MC museum as well as many of our local clubs and I have banners for them as I do promotion work for them often,, But had some logistical issues,
plus as I said before, The resort is a pretty tightly run enterprise and might not take kindly to it, Or the Cannonball organizers might object (maybe)
So, not optimum placement for sure,, But here is John Cs Morgan, He has a collection of bikes but cant ride due to health issues, But still likes to get out & about so 3 wheels it is.

(I wonder if he takes the oxygen line off his tank and runs it to the intake if it goes faster???)

This banner is for our local Norton Nutters club. 

Offline harvey mushman

• Moving Up
Great pics and story Sluggo,

who is the random woman with the agony bag! (bagpipes)

Cheers

derek

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Derek,,, I was perplexed as to why this crazy lady was playing bagpipes and what was she doing there?   I expect that weirdness in Downtown Portland, and truth be told I am proud of our UniPiper-Darth Vader guy..
"Keep Portland Weird". 
But that lady was just odd.  John called her a "looper" as in crazy,, and mentioned she followed the ride across the country for reasons I am still unclear about.

In one sense,, Some follow thee Grateful Dead around the US,,Some people join a cult, Some hike the Pacific NW trail and then write a book and make a movie about it, Some go to India and learn the Sitar and learn about Tantric Sex, go figure!  Maybe this was some sort of self discovery spiritual journey for her  or maybe...........She is just a looper!   

I dont pretend to know.  All I do know is it hurt my ears. I wear hearing aids and a specially set up filter set up for extreme Tinnitus, so no joke, it was painful.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi All,
Sluggo,
I just hope the bagpiper does not see the photos and references posted here
If somebody decides to ride a scooter and follow a log distance motorcycle event and play the bagpipes along the way
that's their own affair
My lack of qualifications on judging their wisdom is obviously apparent by commenting on it to another person  *sad2*

Other than that thanks for posting the pics
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Well If its offensive or mean spirited I would be happy to remove them, I didnt intend to be mean or cruel about it, I actually appreciate weird and strange people, Most of my friends viewed by others would certainly fall into that category, and myself included.

Portland Oregon celebrates weirdness and craziness, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not, but its a badge of honor.  That was the spirit of my commentary, which my sense of humor does not always translate well.

But again, I would be happy to remove and edit the material if people feel it was out of line.

As to Bagpipers in general, Portland has a celebrity version who rides a unicycle, shoots flames and plays the star wars theme and other songs. Quite popular and can be seen frequently in town.