Author Topic: My A7/A10 Oil Tank Fitting Woes.......  (Read 665 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
My A7/A10 Oil Tank Fitting Woes.......
« on: 01.10. 2018 21:31 »
When I fit my FLAT faced oil Tank for a ';59 A7SS/A10 (not a plunger version) I bought as good used on ebay, (and it was not welded or bodged, simply a small dent) there is simply no way it can fit FLUSH to the rear right  downtube and allow space for fitting the goose-necked oil pipes with Banjo return to the rockers. Evenb in trial fitment, I scuffed my frame paint.

Only by angling it out away, by several inches from the right rear downtube  "loop" and the 42-8351 "holder", will it allow the pipes to not touch the downtube.

Devil me if I found an original A10 Gold Flash in Kenya opf the same vintage ( we are two A series within 3000 miles of the next?). His tank was NOT angled some 15 degrees OUT to allow fitting the goosenecks. It was also a FLAT face tank. His "goosenecks"  nuts cleared the frame by at least 1/4"+ and his oil tank was right up against the right downtubes and top tube with thin rubber "cushion" on the tank ..I would need 1.5 inches! The whole thing looked FLUSH TO FRAME whereas if I fitted mine, no way unless I wanted my gooseneck pipes and banjo rocker feed to scuff the rear down tube.

This is a very obscure question. What on earth is going on?  Pardon me for the complex natureof the query.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: My A7/A10 Oil Tank Fitting Woes.......
« Reply #1 on: 02.10. 2018 18:00 »
 I think this requires many good pictures.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 02.10. 2018 21:35 »
Just checked my ‘58 SA oil tank. The lower feed hose gooseneck nut rubs the frame too. The return banjo sits clear of the frame but only by a couple of thou.
Remember fiddling with various thicknesses of rubber padding (42-8342) between tank and frame to get it “right” but gave up in the end and accepted for the lower nut slightly touching the frame tube.
Good luck with yours. If you ever find a solution I’d be happy if you’d share it *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 08.10. 2018 20:35 »
Thanks Morris well I am going to try and linkup with this dead original GF owner and get his bike over next to mine. I'll do some pix and measurements and post again...

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.10. 2018 20:47 »
Hi Peter,
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the oil tank mounting brackets and or positions changed
(somewhere) along the years ???
I have had problems fitting the tanks on several A and B series bikes,
Try telling a customer it takes a day to fit one properly  *work* *work* *warn* *warn* *angry* *angry*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)