Author Topic: Near side header pipe 58 Super Rocket  (Read 578 times)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Near side header pipe 58 Super Rocket
« on: 15.10. 2018 03:45 »
Struggling to get the near side header pipe in the right spot to align the mufflers. In fact its almost not possible to get the near side muffler on at all. There is a kink in the end of the header in question that looks intentional but which thumps into the underside of the foot peg. Question before I turn on the gas and begin bending things is is this the wrong header for my 58SR or am I missing something obvious?
NZ

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Near side header pipe 58 Super Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 15.10. 2018 11:27 »
You drive on the correct, (UK) side of the road, so nearside to you is bike drive side. Other countries, who do crazy stuff, like driving on the other side of the road, may consider 'Nearside' to be timing side. I try to use those terms to avoid confusion.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.10. 2018 12:44 »
You drive on the correct, (UK) side of the road, so nearside to you is bike drive side. Other countries, who do crazy stuff, like driving on the other side of the road, may consider 'Nearside' to be timing side. I try to use those terms to avoid confusion.

What's the problem with "left" and "right"? Most adults can distinguish when right means opposite of left, rather than "correct". No one says, "I hold a pencil in my near-side hand." Right? Uuuh, Correct?

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.10. 2018 13:09 »

What's the problem with "left" and "right"? Most adults can distinguish when right means opposite of left, rather than "correct". No one says, "I hold a pencil in my near-side hand." Right? Uuuh, Correct?

Yeah - but is that when you are looking down at your hands, or you're sitting opposite you?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.10. 2018 13:35 »

I would compare your part with other images, see if they look similar. If it looks to be correct, move the front lower engine mounting thru stud (where the bracket attaches) out of the way and see if the header mates with the muffler. Could be the bracket is just in the wrong place. Slight adjustment here may be all you need.

Keep Spannering,   Swarfcut

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.10. 2018 13:44 »
Got the same problem, I can get the ends of the silencers equal if I ignore the fact I might want to start the bike with the kick start, to get the kickstart to clear the silencer the silencer bracket has to go to the inside of the frame lug that supports silencer and pillion footrest.
This was not the case in 1961 with the exact same silencer, I assume not enough crank on the kickstart lever of today, Goldie type silencers allow you to get away with it but not everyone's cup of tea
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 15.10. 2018 17:36 »
bsa-Bill - same here - had to heat / bend the kickstart crank.
Re the original question - again, same problem here. I told Armours that if the kink in the pipe was a couple of inches further back, this wouldn't happen. Trouble is that would then cause a problem further back, though might be able to squeeze things together. My front pipe sits hard against the footpeg. Also, my silencer brackets are on the inside, as otherwise the pipes splay outwards.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 16.10. 2018 00:23 »
I have a dyslexia that means I simply don't know my right from my left by name, although I usually get it wrong so I'm at least reliably crap, and near and offside are the way it is described in the literature so I went with that. Moreover as you say NZ is a country like the UK that drives on the left hand side of the road (so I'm told anyway). I came to the same conclusion lying in bed thinking about it last night. The headers are old and a little bit tired but for the moment I'm unwilling to spend more than I have to. The front mount appears to have been re-welded on so my plan is to cut it right off and then see if I can set up the pipe in the right place before welding it back on. I will let you all know how I get on. Thanks for all the responses :)
NZ

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 16.10. 2018 11:24 »
 I  had a bastard of a time fitting mine too.

Heat straightening will only get you so far, pipe bending by force makes your sphincter pucker.

I had to have mine put into a bender, and little bitty bends all put in a row to make it work. With stainless thats fine, chrome will probably crack.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.