Author Topic: Alternate carb for longstroke  (Read 889 times)

Offline SixFingerJack

• N. E. England
  • A's Good Friend
  • °§ïX?ïÑg?®JÅ©K?°
Alternate carb for longstroke
« on: 04.11. 2018 17:57 »
Hi folks, not sure if this should be here or in the Amal carburation section, but maybe someone will move it if required.
I need a carb for my longstroke project, I know it should be a 15/16“ 276, but they are well over 300 quid new - eek!
What I was wondering was, is there a know alternative that will work without much messing around.
Has anyone fitted a monoblock or a concentric, or even a mikuni to their longstroke with any success?
I have searched the forum, but can't seem to find anything that refers to the longstroke specifically.
Thanks for any input.
°§ïX?ïÑg?®JÅ©K?°

1948 A7 Rigid

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Alternate carb for longstroke
« Reply #1 on: 04.11. 2018 21:48 »
 Hi Jacko...I reckon any old 15/16 would do to get it to run, 276, Monobloc, concentric, all will fit well enough. Air filter may be awkward because of the space to the vertical frame member.
  Knowing the longevity of the camshaft and follower design (short) I think you would be better off  investing in a cheap carb and frequent oil changes.

I have just acquired a complete Longstroke, in bits,  and I am amazed  at the  High Camshaft and Follower point loading. With a lack of an oil trough no wonder they fail.
 Swarfy.

Offline SixFingerJack

• N. E. England
  • A's Good Friend
  • °§ïX?ïÑg?®JÅ©K?°
« Reply #2 on: 09.11. 2018 11:35 »
Well, that was a pretty deafening silence, notwithstanding the 'helpful' suggestion from Mr. Swarfcut.
It seems nobody has changed the carb on their longstroke. No problem, I emailed Amal, and they were very helpful in suggesting a 624/300 as a replacement.
I ordered one yesterday, and it arrived this morning, very impressed with the quality of the new carb and the overall service from Amal.
°§ïX?ïÑg?®JÅ©K?°

1948 A7 Rigid

Offline pdg

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 10.11. 2018 21:59 »
Following AMAL's advice I've fitted a 622/300PREM and a 622/301PREM on my A7 Star Twin, twin carb. They are a great success.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.11. 2018 09:28 »
Well, that was a pretty deafening silence, notwithstanding the 'helpful' suggestion from Mr. Swarfcut.

Yeah you tell ‘em!