Author Topic: Cast your experienced eyes over this... (dynamo chain)  (Read 1600 times)

Offline RayC10

• A's Good Friend
Re: Cast your experienced eyes over this... (dynamo chain)
« Reply #15 on: 08.12. 2018 17:59 »
On topic....something pink in the tacho drive hole? :)

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #16 on: 08.12. 2018 21:19 »
Thanks GB...got the resizing worked out (Snapseed) perhaps things will go equally smoothly n the shed today.

This is the scene when first opened.

Northern Territory, Australia

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #17 on: 08.12. 2018 21:28 »

Regarding the chain this is the dynamo drive and most will have worn the casing, adjustment is via the dynamo housing.

Went straight back out to the shed and adjusted the chain tension...cheers.

(The photo is the 'before' shot).

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #18 on: 08.12. 2018 21:38 »
 [/quote]   I think you mean 'coarse' but I'm not here to teach spelling (no doubt a typo/spellcheck/proof-read error [/quote]

...and I'm not here to psychoanalyse you but do you wear a uniform around home?   *fight*

[/quote] FYI there should generally be about 70ml of oil in the pump cavity [/quote]

There was!

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 08.12. 2018 22:24 »
 UncleD.....Easy first success? The chain looked a bit dry to me, I would suggest at least enough soft low melting point grease to cover up to the top of the drive sprocket. When the engine warms up this will settle to the bottom of the compartment and lubricate the chain nicely as it passes through the soft grease. I prefer to use graphite grease rather than a plain medium grease.

The oil feed and return pipes should be armoured to give some protection against accidental abrasion, both  of yours look a bit non standard. New pipes are available with the correct armour and end fittings.

A characteristic of these engines is a tendency for oil to accumulate in the sump, due to infrequent use, this is termed "wet sumping", resulting in lots of smoke on first start up.  This smoke clears as the oil pump scavenges the sump. There is a gauze filter in the sump, well worth taking the sump plate off and making sure it is clean, as a clogged filter here will affect the scavenge side of the lubrication system. Lots of help in previous posts on this forum.

Swarfy.

Offline UncleD

• A's Good Friend
  • My giddy aunt!
« Reply #20 on: 08.12. 2018 23:23 »
Cheers again,
The chain is dry in this photo as I had removed all the old grease sludge.  There was about an inch layer settled in the bottom when I first opened her up so I'll follow you recommendations when reassembling.

I've got some reading to do about oil feed pipes.

I ride all my bikes every week to avoid wet sumping and this bike seems less prone than my others.  I do have a SRM sump cover with drain plug on the way.

Many thanks.