Author Topic: IMD Pistons  (Read 451 times)

Offline paulmbsa

• Moving Up
IMD Pistons
« on: 16.12. 2018 20:44 »
Hi all

anyone used these please

Online AdrianJ

• Moving Up
Re: IMD Pistons
« Reply #1 on: 24.12. 2018 09:54 »
I’m just about to fit a pair, but I guess that doesn’t help!
Everybody I’ve spoken to says they are better than the modern versions of the original equipment.
Adrian
'53 Plunger Flash, Steib S500.

Online Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 28.12. 2018 08:40 »
Some information here Paul,
I am also interested to hear feedback from anyone who has bought them.

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=13797.0

Cheers
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 28.12. 2018 12:27 »
Cought in a bit of a loop there Col!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 28.12. 2018 22:20 »
OOPS - right there Muskrat *red*. I now cannot find the reference I found yesterday.
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Offline Steve.Carter

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 29.12. 2018 07:45 »
I've had a pair fitted in my Ariel Huntmaster, won't now fit anything else now. I had terrible problems trying to cure a smokey engine only finally fixed by IMD pistons. I can now do 2000 miles between oil changes without even having to top up the oil tank. 

Offline Scott and Jay

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 06.01. 2019 21:01 »
Oh yes, I can contribute to this. I have posted before about the quality of IMD Pistons. I was going to chip in during the last "pistons" topic - because IMD wasn't mentioned. I have just checked and IMD are coming out with new A10 stock soon (they weren't advertising them the last time I looked). They only do flat-top up to +40. Adrian Wright, the proprietor was very helpful, though - and supplied me with the flanged liners that our reconditioner insisted on. There's 2 others in our club that have followed my lead now, and sleeved back to std - by this.

I have done about 3k miles since I fitted them. I put them in dry (with light oil on the skirt only). I ran them in using the "stationery" method described by Klaus, a while back. They appeared to bed in instantly, then. I hopped the performance up by a bit of skimming (some was unavoidable, I shortened the pushrods correspondingly).  This has raised the compression to about 8.1:1 (by my calculations). I fitted a 1 5/32 new Amal Premier carb. Since then, the bike has performed with a lot more power and burns no oil.

Our supreme guru local engineer was very impressed with them. He is very hot on piston quality (dislikes JPs). The other thing to mention is Adrian said "don't gap them - no need to". So, I didn't. The rings appear "modern" - thinner and deeper. The 3 piece oil ring is a big factor, I think. The pistons are light, too..