Author Topic: What finish to use on kickstarter, gear change and brake levers?  (Read 409 times)

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
Happy New Year to Everyone!

Here's a probably daft question that you 'more experienced' members will be able to answer quickly... I've reached that part of my A10 plunger restoration where I'm deciding on who to choose for my chrome/other metal plating and getting used to the high quotes from potential suppliers. But my question is, what finish should I use on the three levers; kickstarter, gear and brake?

I've sand blasted then all so they are nice and clean, but rust is slowly returning so I need to treat the surfaces. Should I chrome or zinc plate them, or use a silver metal paint like Hammerite to protect them? And how did BSA treat these components, not that I'm a purist or anything. Your suggestions and advice appreciated!

Thanks guys, and may 2019 be a great year for you all  *smile*. Simon

Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Simon, I had the following items bright chromed: gear, clutch and kickstart levers, fork and plunger shrouds, and the petrol tank. I used ACF Howells in the West Midlands; their work was excellent. My only issue with them was that the tank was returned with rust inside. I lined the tank to fix the rust.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Simon.
The rear brake lever is painted black.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
And remember - cheap chrome is exactly that.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza