Author Topic: LED stop/tail light  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
LED stop/tail light
« on: 27.01. 2019 17:46 »
I have just bought an LED stop/tail lamp similar to this one and I have got myself totally confused with how to wire it in. My bike is running a 12 system with a positive earth. I have tested the lamp across a battery on the bench and all seems to work fine. The black wire goes to the negative side of the battery, and the red and blue go to tail and brake respectively. All good so far  *smile*

Now... If the bike had a negative earth, then this would be a piece of cake, but it doesn't.  *conf* *conf* *conf*  My initial thought was that I would simply wire it the other way around, with black going to positive (earth) and the other two wires going to negative via their separate switches. But this didn't work at all. Now my brain is knotted up like so much spaghetti and I can't fathom it out at all. Please can someone assist?
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: LED stop/tail light
« Reply #1 on: 27.01. 2019 17:59 »
The simple answer is you have the wrong LED.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: 27.01. 2019 18:35 »
Bugger. I had a horrible feeling that someone was going to say that. Pity the vendor didn't think to mention in the advert that there were different types depending on the polarity of the bike.  *sad2*
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 27.01. 2019 18:37 »
triton thrasher is right , I was given some LED's to fit on the front for day time riding and had same problem so now they hang over the lathe lit off an old battery

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.01. 2019 19:45 »
The seller may not know that any vehicles were +ve earth.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.01. 2019 19:53 »
This may be a dumb question, but if the LED itself is not using the bikes earth as a return why can't the wires feeding it just be reversed?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 27.01. 2019 20:50 »
This may be a dumb question, but if the LED itself is not using the bikes earth as a return why can't the wires feeding it just be reversed?
LED’s work in only one direction. As there is only one return (- in this case) and two (+) feed wires (stop and tail) you cannot simply switch them. If you want to make it work on a + earth system you would need to connect both feed wires to (+) earth and you would only have one wire left to connect to the brake switch and tail light feed.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 27.01. 2019 20:55 »
Morris is spot on. Easiest way if still using a mechanical regulator would be to reverse battery leads and flash dynamo to change bike to - earth.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.01. 2019 21:53 »
Morris is spot on. Easiest way if still using a mechanical regulator would be to reverse battery leads and flash dynamo to change bike to - earth.

And don’t forget you’ve done it!

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 28.01. 2019 06:07 »
Here's my own customised + earth 1960 A10 GF wiring diagram with LED stop/tail and pilot light. Not all the wire colours are as they were originally.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 28.01. 2019 10:10 »
LED’s work in only one direction. As there is only one return (- in this case) and two (+) feed wires (stop and tail) you cannot simply switch them. If you want to make it work on a + earth system you would need to connect both feed wires to (+) earth and you would only have one wire left to connect to the brake switch and tail light feed.
Ah, yes, I can see that. However, with a simple two-wire LED should be possible to reverse its feed.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 28.01. 2019 11:40 »

Exactly what I did, but for other reasons as well.... *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 28.01. 2019 12:58 »
Morris is spot on. Easiest way if still using a mechanical regulator would be to reverse battery leads and flash dynamo to change bike to - ea

Yep - Did this on my A10, easy to do and yes if you have or can borrow a label printer stick labels on frames tubes (side and across) "negative earth", or just buy and use sticky labels
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #13 on: 30.01. 2019 10:17 »
Because the bike grounds + sp all of the body parts are + so the base of the globe will be + .
However it needs to be -
Now if the entire tail lamp can be insulated from the bikes frame then it can be wired with a - wire to the globe base and then an electrically isolated switch to send + to either one of the pins.
For a stop only that is a piece of cake, you just run a wire + battery through the switch but the tail lamp is the problem unless he fits yet another switch battery + to tailalmp switch to tail lamp.

The nay time the light fitting touches the frame the fuse will blow.

Lot easier to get the correct globe or swap the bike to - earth.
Bike Beesa
Trevor