Author Topic: Magneto settings  (Read 620 times)

Offline dazza

• Active
Magneto settings
« on: 27.05. 2019 02:11 »
ok guys the resto has finally started fitted a new restored magneto just a quick question fella does the teeth on the mag have to be in a set position or can you just fit it i.m waiting on a work shop manual and a bit unsure have not touched any of the gears just the mag its the a10 motor

adm edit: moved from introduction topic.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Magneto settings
« Reply #1 on: 27.05. 2019 03:08 »
Quick reply...
The mag gears can go anywhere...  you'll adjust the timing on the mag from the other end..   https://www.britishonly.com/pdf/bsa/sectionA_BSAservicesheetno203.pdf
Welcome aboard..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 27.05. 2019 10:18 »
G'day dazza.
Download and read (10 times) the link Wozza put up.
In brief the timing is done (piston height and points opening) before the pinion/gear/auto advance is pushed onto the mag shaft.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.05. 2019 19:14 »
Just my tuppence-worth to add to service sheet info - don't turn engine back 3/8" or whatever BTDC is required - turn it further, say 1", then forwards until 3/8" is reached. This takes up any slack in the gears. Secondly, be prepared for the mag gear to slip slightly on the mag taper as you do it up. Can be a real pain, where you have to guess how much it'll slip before tightening. And make sure that auto advance unit is truly jammed at full advance.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.05. 2019 19:39 »
    Don't forget the cylinder on compression needs the brass slip ring segment under its pickup, it's too  easy to swap the leads....and you will be very lucky to get it all right first time. Make sure the tapers are dry, set mag armature with points just breaking, and with  everything set as RD mentions, push the ATD on with a good bit of pressure (a light tap if you are kinda rich as hammering magneto armatures is an expensive hobby) to seat the taper and carefully tighten down. They usually move a bit and there is a bit more leeway with a manual maggy.

Plenty of stuff on the forum concerning the outstanding performance, reliabilty and ease of maintenance of the good old K2F. (In a parallel universe far away)

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.05. 2019 20:37 »
Don't forget to set the points gap before the timing as points gap affects the timing.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #6 on: 27.05. 2019 22:20 »
Don't forget to pray to whatever god/being/ancestor etc when you start. Wedging the points plate to prevent turning as the pinion is fitted is one of my constant areas of development/improvement. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
  *pull hair out* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride