Author Topic: Father's Day  (Read 338 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Father's Day
« on: 16.06. 2019 22:12 »
Don't know if Father's Day is international, if so, hope you Dad's enjoyed it. I did appreciate a bit of  recognition today, having received the book pictured below from my daughter.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Father's Day
« Reply #1 on: 16.06. 2019 22:37 »
My daughter left a Facetime message while I was out. My number one son took me out for a drink and lunch at a local micro brewery. Later he cooked lamb Biryani from scratch. It was lush! Number two son phoned for a chat. I felt appreciated by my kids. :)

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: 16.06. 2019 23:42 »
My son bought me a selection of bottles of beer and came and watched the MotoGP with me. My daughter bought me a different selection of bottles of beer and a card with several references to pies. They know me so well !!
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online BigJim

• A's Best Friend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #3 on: 17.06. 2019 00:10 »
My two sons came for an evening meal and stayed to watch a film in "film club" The first rule is that i can't talk about film club. Two gifts of books on philosophy were unnecessary but very much appreciated. Managed to give the A10 a blast earlier today, dodging the worst of the weather, which was just what i needed. Am feeling very lucky at mo.
  *beer* *warn* *countdown*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 17.06. 2019 00:24 »
Fathers day here in Australia is SEPTEMBER...  Hmmmm...   *idea* 9 months after Christmas..   *dunno*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Minto

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 17.06. 2019 00:46 »
Well I was truly spoilt by both the missus and my son, got taken to the national motorcycle museum on Saturday and got a new hat and key ring while I was there, went for a meal on the way home.
Today got woken up with a Haynes BSA twins manual and a bottle of Kirk & Sweeney rum... niiiice!
We all went down Ironbridge and had a couple of pints outside the Bird in Hand and watched the river trying to break its banks. Curry for tea!
Cracking weekend, even took the bike out for a plod around yesterday.
52 A10 plunger

Online berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
« Reply #6 on: 17.06. 2019 01:02 »
BigJim  would it not be philosophical akkel  to talk about film club . I need to know about film club, but first I must google philisofical or go to bed and stop rambling ---- I must have too much magnetic field bouncing about after mri scan on neck--- its made my brain even more mushed *bash* *sleepy* EDEEET O I forgot when I came out of scan this geezer who sees my bike T shirt says " I've got some news for you, me thinks what!!? he says " well if you bought a GP200 sco-----[ can't say it] with loads of mirrors on it like I had you wouldn't have to keep twisting ya neck" 

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 17.06. 2019 08:32 »
Fathers day here in Australia is SEPTEMBER...  Hmmmm...   *idea* 9 months after Christmas..   *dunno*
*whistle* I know what my mum got for Xmas. But I was premy being born 6 months after the wedding  *conf*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 18.06. 2019 15:35 »
I was spoiled rotten ,Son and Daughter came and I was  driven to the  local real ale pub , 2 of my favorite bitters were just ready ,London Pride and Bombardier so 6 pints later and back to a superb lamb roast dinner followed by cards with lovely words ,a book by John Nichols about Spitfires ,slippers and a visit to the BBMF lancaster hopefully  sometime  later in the year ,I was well chuffed !!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
« Reply #9 on: 18.06. 2019 23:33 »
I am not a dad *sad*NOT really  :( got enough on looking after this idiot. anyway on seeing TOPDADS post just had to say that I have just read the dam busters written by PAUL BRICKHILL an ex Australian fighter pilot. this book had been in the family since before I was born. I didn't know this until I opened it and found the note inside the front cover. it say's" many happy reading hours darling 19th sept 1955" bought for my dad by my mum -[ who was  94 last friday *woo*] - on his 36th birthday , dad spent the war years in the reme and lost his r.a.f brother shot down in 1943 and never seen again. right back to the book compelling reading that takes you through 617 squadron first being formed right through to the end of the war. it must have been a popular book first published 1951 and two or three times a year thereafter . the author got shot down over Tunisia in 1943 and was very badly wounded  , not only that but he also had to fight with his parachute which had snagged ,landed in a mine field and got blown by the wind across it into the enemy barbed wire. while in captivity he worked on"X" escape organisation . thankyou for listening all you proud dads *beer*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 19.06. 2019 07:42 »
Don't worry berger, I'm not a dad either. I married a girl who had three sons who have produced five grandsons. My father took off when I was three so I grew up with my grandfather and called him dad.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 19.06. 2019 10:13 »
I feel for you guys that have not experienced the joy of having your own child fall asleep on you. I'm currently enjoying my four grandchildren very much. I've just been reading stories to my daughters pair of girls; I do all the different voices. I was sad when my own kids told me they were old enough to not want bed-time stories read to them.

Offline Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #12 on: 19.06. 2019 10:26 »
I know what you mean GB. I have 5 grandsons aged from 2-12. On arriving for a visit, the little ones were jumping up and down at the door with excitement. I asked the eldest the other day whether he wanted to play trains (Thomas and friends). He said no that's for little kids.! Sigh!! Anyway, he is showing interest on motorbikes.
Col
Colsbeeza
Australia

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 19.06. 2019 10:27 »
I feel for you guys that have not experienced the joy of having your own child fall asleep on you. I'm currently enjoying my four grandchildren very much. I've just been reading stories to my daughters pair of girls; I do all the different voices. I was sad when my own kids told me they were old enough to not want bed-time stories read to them.

Yes GB, I agree, when I see my children and grandchildren happy and successful it makes me feel that my own life has been worthwhile.

Think about this one.  Does anyone ever remember the very last time one of your children or a grandchild sat on your lap?  There must be a time but you're never aware of this at the time.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 19.06. 2019 12:08 »
Does anyone ever remember the very last time one of your children or a grandchild sat on your lap?
my 11 year old last night and hopefully not for the last time. i try and keep in mind that everyone one of those moments in special. savour it. actually better than motorbikes
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS