Author Topic: Gold Flash oil tank  (Read 567 times)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
Gold Flash oil tank
« on: 30.06. 2019 12:33 »
This old A10 G/F that members said, " you must clean out the sludge trap" after standng for 33 years, meant taking it apart which I did, so if I have it apart I might as well replace the worn forks and weld all the missing brackets back onto the frame, as in a previous life the frame had been used for racing and all unnessary brackets were cut of, so no stands or seat and tank brackets, so if I am doing all of that I might as well respray it, so everything done and nearly ready for the road, i thought I would connect the new oil hoses up and fit the tank filter ready to pump the oil around, now answer this, why is this old girl fighting back and comiing up with problem after problem, after removing the filter and cleaning the oil tank out, then bunging the oil filter hole with rag, same as the top hole, then spraying it, why is the thread on the oil filter hole really tight, I mean so tight that I cannot screw the fiter in far and it is damaging the thread on the end of the filter if I do, the old fork staunchion nuts are the same size so I tried screwing that in, still no luck, so I will need to obtain a tap.
Has anyone any idea of the size and thread of the hole in the tank?
I had it running as sweet as nut before I took it apart, wish I had left it as it was, sludge and all

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gold Flash oil tank
« Reply #1 on: 30.06. 2019 12:42 »
Hi Rich,
I cut a slot at at an angle down the threads of an old fork nut
This was good enough to do the job you are attempting
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 30.06. 2019 14:23 »
I wil give it a try this afternoon, its only a smallproblem, but everytime I come to do something some small problem has to be done first, I am thinking about planting a money tree in the garden *smile*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.06. 2019 16:52 »
Rich, when you refer to the sludge trap I get the impression you may be talking about the filter screen on the outlet of the oil tank. Am I right?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.06. 2019 19:52 »
Hi Rich
Well you have the right name to own a money tree  *smile* *smile* *smile*
Can I com round when its harvest time *????*
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 30.06. 2019 20:37 »
greybeard its all your fault *smile* you were the one that persuaded me to strip it down to clean the sludge trap in the cranckshaft, which I was refering to in my previous post, John I mnaged it, it was tight but it went home, at some point in time I will get a tap and do the job properly, this evening was spent making a head steady bracket, (the one that bolts to the rockerbox) as the left hand one has gone walkabouts or was never fitted in the first place, anyway job done and undercoated ready for a top coat, enough for the day, sit down time

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.06. 2019 22:25 »
greybeard its all your fault *smile* you were the one that persuaded me to strip it down to clean the sludge trap in the cranckshaft, which I was refering to in my previous post...
Good lad!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash