Author Topic: Side stand lug broke!  (Read 2343 times)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Re: Side stand lug broke!
« Reply #30 on: 23.07. 2019 01:21 »
I let the clutch out to get her off the stand and away we go.

That how we did it at 18 would not try it at 81 *yeah*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #31 on: 23.07. 2019 09:01 »
G'day fellas.
I think rolling the bike off the center stand while the side stand is down is fraught with danger. Usually all stand work is done from the left side. Coming down off the c/stand there is a possibility the s/stand will hit the ground, roll forward and bike fall to the right away from you.
I always fuel my rhonda on the c/stand (need to get every drop in). Once I forgot to put the s/stand up and over she went. Funny how with embarrassment and adrenaline one can lift a 260+Kg bike up off the ground!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 23.07. 2019 09:08 »
I take your point Musky but it has not happened uptill now but I suppose it  could but the main point in using the  side stand is to make it much safer mounting and dismounting the bike you don't have to balance the bike.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 23.07. 2019 09:58 »
Getting old and feeble is so frustrating. I’m 6ft and 16st and although I remain physically active and busy (can still – just - lift a hundredweight (50kg) movement is compromised. I always mount a bike before starting up, though nowadays swinging my leg over a modern bike is frequently impossible. My BSA’s are somewhat easier.
Regarding my GF, I simply cannot get it onto its centre stand. Tried again last night. Couldn’t do it for ten grand. Therefore it’s only used for maintenance – and then I have to get my son to lift it on for me. I realise there are various methods to assist – such as a wood block below the wheel etc, but that seems more trouble than it’s worth. Will have to try one of my paddock stands. Thanks BSA for such a crappy design.
When parking any bike I always use the side stand (most modern bikes don’t have a centre stand anyway). That includes my B31 and M21, though I can get both onto their centre stands if necessary as they are lifted from the rear (as opposed to the side as is the case with the GF). Apart from the GF, B31 and M21 my other bikes either have a side stand only or no stand at all.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 23.07. 2019 10:52 »
 I am 48, in pretty good shape, and its a struggle for me to get the bike on the center stand. You guys in your seventies and eighties still heaving a BSA up are doing one helluva good job.

Having a bike with a center stand is pretty much a novelty over here. Bikes are parked and started off the side stand.

Being able to stand besides the BSA and start it off the center stand took a little learning and getting used to but its much more stable.

Its not uncommon to see the hard core harley guys standing (with both feet off the ground) on the kicker to get over TDC, There is a reason those side stands are very well made. Now why those guys think a side stand should stick out from the bike 3 feet is another question. *dunno2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 23.07. 2019 11:41 »
.. why those guys think a side stand should stick out from the bike 3 feet is another question. *dunno2*
Everything is bigger in America
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #36 on: 23.07. 2019 17:14 »
For those of you who have problems getting the bike onto the center stand just type "main stand" in the search box then click on number 1. this is a mod done by kiwiprom I have done it on my A7 and it does work and make it easy to get the bike on the stand just using your foot and the lever. The only problem I have with it is if you look at photo 2 you see the angle of the  lever this I find awkward to get my foot too and you caannot change the angle to a more vertical position because if you did the lever will hit the ground before the bike is on the stand but it does work.

mod edit. link to said topic https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11055.msg92131#msg92131
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 24.07. 2019 11:42 »
.. why those guys think a side stand should stick out from the bike 3 feet is another question. *dunno2*
Everything is bigger in America

Yes, sometimes it gets a little cartoonish.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 29.07. 2019 16:59 »
I only use the main stand for service tasks, it's too tricky to use the rest of the time. I'm tall enough and young(ish) enough to be comfortable starting the bike astride it with the side stand up. And it starts real easy too.

What I can't manage is left foot kicker. My Morini Camel is thusly adorned. When it's cold I have to stand alongside to use my right foot on it. But it is a high bike (an off roader in fact) and that got me to thinking I might need a new hip. Now cleared since I gave up riding that one fortunately. The Nimbus is also left side kicker, and an odd action being an in line engine. But with 4 cylinders and no compression worth speaking of you can start that with your hand if it is up on the table being worked on.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 31.07. 2019 00:47 »
My 58 SR had no centre stand when I obtained the bike. this was the year of the 'fabricated' stand that was apparently a bit of a disaster. I bought a new cast one from Burtons or some similar UK outfit and apart from needing the spring mount swapping sides it fit pretty well. It has a long curved lever which sticks out around the muffler and makes it a very easy job to get the bike on the stand. A bit of downward pressure and a gentle nudge and it pops straight up. Nothing like the B44 Shooting star I had that was a pig to pull onto the stand.
NZ