Author Topic: Carrier rack Super Rocket  (Read 557 times)

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
Carrier rack Super Rocket
« on: 22.07. 2019 06:20 »
Whilst I await the arrival of my back wheel rim I thought I’d get on a make a carrier for the back of the bike. There are a couple of obvious mounting points where the grab rail attaches and where the saddle bag fender bar meets the rear guard (at least I assume that’s what that chrome bar is for). What I would love though is a picture of an existing rack that someone already has on a swing arm machine. I will bend one up out of ERW tube and have it chromed but would love a plan to work with. S:)
NZ

Offline Swarfcut

• Resident Legend
Re: Carrier rack Super Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 22.07. 2019 09:32 »
Slymo.. Always bolt your rack to an existing, strengthened mudguard mounting point. Some commercially available carriers required the guard to be drilled, in a weaker area.The inevitable stress cracks are seen on lots of used guards, and rarely mentioned. So for anyone on the lookout for a guard, look closely at those lovely  pictures on your favourite auction site.

Swarfy.

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.07. 2019 12:51 »
Whilst I await the arrival of my back wheel rim I thought I’d get on a make a carrier for the back of the bike. There are a couple of obvious mounting points where the grab rail attaches and where the saddle bag fender bar meets the rear guard (at least I assume that’s what that chrome bar is for). What I would love though is a picture of an existing rack that someone already has on a swing arm machine. I will bend one up out of ERW tube and have it chromed but would love a plan to work with. S:)

This rack was on my bike when I purchased it.
It was mounted incorrectly, it should have been mounted to the YELLOW ARROWS.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 22.07. 2019 14:05 »
Here's mine from here for better picture of one before fitting:-

https://www.classicbikeracks.co.uk/product-category/bsa/

Scroll down to 'Stainless Steel Motorcycle Luggage Rack for BSA B31 / B33 / A7 / A10 Motorcycles'.

1960 Golden Flash

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 23.07. 2019 02:18 »
note the one Roger shows form classicbikeracks won't fit the later super rockets with the teardrop mudguard stays and different seat - it needs reshaping and is stainless. tho if you are bending your own that will be no problem for you
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 23.07. 2019 05:01 »
Excellent thanks all. I'm heading out to Steel and Tube tomorrow to buy some 1/2" ERW tube and will bend one up. Your pictures confirm my impressions that most carriers involve the replacement of the grab rail but my intention is to make a simpler rack that sits behind the grab rail. I'll see if this is feasible and if not will just copy what I see here. Thanks again Simon :)
NZ

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.07. 2019 09:19 »
There were some very neat luggage racks available.

The first photo. from September 1960 shows the Terry Fry rack fitted to a late A7/A10 with arrowhead stays. It mounts on the L shaped seat  bracket on the late models at the front (mudguard reinforced by BSA for the seat mounting bracket) and between the mudguard and stay at the rear.

Second photo shows the fittings on my A10.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 23.07. 2019 17:53 »
This was a good ss carrier on my G/Flash in mid 60s. What made it so good was that the back vertical piece was telescopic, so you could slide it out of the horizontals to make the rack longer. It was secured by split pins on small chains in a couple of positions (seen in pic). I use to carry my big suitcase on it when going on leave (can be seen in my small picture).

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 27.07. 2019 06:40 »
Made a carrier out of 1/2" ERW see attached.
NZ

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 27.07. 2019 08:56 »
Excellent. Now get polishing.   
Why not in stainless ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 27.07. 2019 09:15 »

The racks all look the part, but I'm unsure of the method that some are attached to the thin fender alone without bracing from something with more integrity and substance.....I'm needing to organize one fro my El Plungo too so taking all this in.... *work*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #11 on: 27.07. 2019 12:26 »
Id have used stainless in a heartbeat if I had access to a tig welder but oxy acetylene is it and it will look good once its fettled and chromed. There is tons of strength in the mountings as both are supported by other supports. Pleased also with the fact that I can keep the oringinal grab rail which acts as a back rest formthe carrier as well as a pillion hand hold now.
NZ

Offline RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 27.07. 2019 20:44 »
You can weld stainless with oxy if you use the right (expensive) flux. I do, mainly because my tig welding is absolute rubbish. My stick welding (steel or stainless) is fine, but can't use that much below 3/16.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 29.07. 2019 06:20 »
I must investigate the potential to gas weld stainless although I might need to get better glasses first. Welding ordinary mild steel was more of a challenge than I expected due to failing vision and a shakey filler rod hand.
NZ

Online BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #14 on: 29.07. 2019 08:41 »
The Dillion / Henrob / Cobra / DHC  or whatever they are calling them now days weld stainless like a breeze.
Particularly good when you get a bit older as gas is a lot slower so wobbly hands don't end up making large holes or deposition a bucket of bird droppings.
They are not cheap but worth every cent I would not be without mine.
After than Tin Man Technologies also a good low pressure gun.
They also do a wonderful lens that actually cuts out all the yellow flare when welding aluminium so you can actually see what you are doing
For all other welding it is fluxless so you can see what you are doing clearly.
I can weld steel cans with it now days but not quite good enouhg to do aluminium ones yet, need a bit more practice .
If yopu go down that route, buy some bottles if you can because a bottle of gas will last forever.

I use mine at least once a week & get around 2 years out of the acetelyne and 3 out of the oxy
Bike Beesa
Trevor