Author Topic: Be aware of blind spot  (Read 120 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Be aware of blind spot
« on: 09.08. 2019 10:03 »
Recently I was driving my car on a three-lane road, (Motorway/Freeway). A slow-moving vehicle meant that I needed to change lanes to get past. I checked my door mirror, it was clear so I signalled and gently changed lane, (I always change lanes carefully). Suddenly there was a motorcycle beside me making that two-finger action to his eyes then to me to indicate that I must be blind! I felt very bad about what might have been nasty if I'd changed lanes more abruptly. The bike must have been in my blind spot between the door mirror and peripheral vision.
When joining from a slip road I normally look over my shoulder to check my blind spot but while travelling at 60 plus mph I guess I rely on my mirror to follow the progress of following vehicles. The motorbike must have crept forward without me noticing. Ok, so, if an accident had happened, I would have been to blame but the bike was placing himself in a dangerous position by riding in a vehicles blind spot.

Guys, please be aware of a vehicles blind spot!

Online RoyC

• Resident Legend
Re: Be aware of blind spot
« Reply #1 on: 09.08. 2019 14:54 »
Recently I was driving my car on a three-lane road, (Motorway/Freeway). A slow-moving vehicle meant that I needed to change lanes to get past. I checked my door mirror, it was clear so I signalled and gently changed lane, (I always change lanes carefully). Suddenly there was a motorcycle beside me making that two-finger action to his eyes then to me to indicate that I must be blind! I felt very bad about what might have been nasty if I'd changed lanes more abruptly. The bike must have been in my blind spot between the door mirror and peripheral vision.
When joining from a slip road I normally look over my shoulder to check my blind spot but while travelling at 60 plus mph I guess I rely on my mirror to follow the progress of following vehicles. The motorbike must have crept forward without me noticing. Ok, so, if an accident had happened, I would have been to blame but the bike was placing himself in a dangerous position by riding in a vehicles blind spot.

Guys, please be aware of a vehicles blind spot!

I adjust my door mirror to cover my blind spot, turn it out just enough so that when a vehicle goes out of the mirror it's in my periphery vision.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Stafford UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.08. 2019 19:04 »
I'm going to buy a couple of those little adhesive convex mirrors.

Online Minto

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 09.08. 2019 19:45 »
I drive artics for a living which have so many blind spots I’ve got into the habit of ALWAYS looking over my shoulder before pulling out. I always tell people when you’re overtaking a truck, be decisive, make sure you’ve got enough space in front to get past it and don’t hang around, also check what’s in front of the truck, they may be planning to pull out. Common sense maybe, but a lot of people don’t give any thought to just sitting in the middle lane in your blind spot for miles and miles.

52 A10 plunger

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 09.08. 2019 20:06 »
On all my bikes & all cars, always added some kind of blind spot mirror. Even small ones are very useful (even with half good eyes ;O)

Made a post about this long time ago but can't manage to locate it.

Example in pictures.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 09.08. 2019 21:39 »
G'day GB.
I've been driving trucks of various sizes most of my life and am very aware of blind spots. When riding I try to stay in a position where I can see the car/truck drivers eyes in their mirror.
My favourite rule is "if it's in front of you, put it behind you".
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.08. 2019 22:09 »

.......When riding I try to stay in a position where I can see the car/truck drivers eyes in their mirror......

I've been doing that since real early on in riding too, trouble is many of them don't look in the mirrors or the mirrors are pointing at the ISS for directions, and they concentrating on the GPS navigator *rant* .....I think GB's point is more for we riders when driving to remember our own blind spots.

I actually bought a couple of those little convex jobbies yesterday, one for the Tilly and one for the van, but more for reversing in tight spots- I hate them otherwise for driving (I've said that before)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia