Author Topic: On Pos Earth, Which Connections to Ammeter?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
On Pos Earth, Which Connections to Ammeter?
« on: 12.08. 2019 22:46 »
On a 59 SA7SS:

Hope this is not a daft  question but I don't understand  electrics as well as I do mechanics. . So the ammeter is marked on the face -/+ and has left/right corresponding connections, looked at from the connection side.

GIVEN : You have a  POS earth loom. You have Brown/Blue wires marked by the loom maker  for connection to  Battery -NEG and to be connected  to the ammeter,

Question  : Should these wires  be connected to the + POS side or - NEG side    of the ammeter, or does it not matter?

Thanks folks

from the only A7SS between Cairo and Capetown.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: On Pos Earth, Which Connections to Ammeter?
« Reply #1 on: 12.08. 2019 23:06 »
Just connect it so that the ammeter shows discharge when the lights are turned on and charge when the generator is on line.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.08. 2019 23:08 »
 Off the top of my head, I'd suggest the the ammeter doesn't have polarity; blue one comes from 'A' on the regulator and if you connect them and turn a light on (no engine) and it shows discharge (-) switch is correct, but if the ammeter shows (+) they are wrong.

trev rounded me up
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 13.08. 2019 08:04 »
I put mine on the wrong way round and the ammeter showed charging when the lights were turned on without the engine running, so I just swapped them. It does no harm.
Adrian.
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel