Author Topic: Please Forgive My Bodge  (Read 448 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Please Forgive My Bodge
« on: 14.09. 2019 20:46 »
I created this topic because I almost feel like I owe an apology to you, my friends and brothers of the BSA, for this flagrant bodge.

Two weeks ago, today, I was heading out for a well-deserved short ride after a week of working day and night. Heading out of my garage and down the driveway, my very old (40 years?) front brake cable snapped. Thankfully, I wasn't on the road. I ordered a new cable custom-made from my local shop (Morrie's Place) because I wanted my original 1955 clevis and lower adjuster on the new cable. I thought I was giving the shop the correct dimensions, but it arrived with too little free cable out of the sheath. I trimmed-back the sheath only to discover I now had too much free cable.  (OK, a new paragraph just for breathing.)

So, with too much free cable, what to do? Rotate the lever on the brake cam and make a link. This had the advantage of putting the lever at the correct angle. I made the link from a piece of hinge and, here it comes, painted it with chrome paint.

Between my fumbles with the cable length and the chrome paint, it's a bit embarrassing. On the other hand, it works really well.

Richard L

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Please Forgive My Bodge
« Reply #1 on: 14.09. 2019 21:55 »

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd do with satisfaction that I've had a win and absolutely no guilt feelings, only difference I'd have done it double so the bottom is like a clevis covering both sides of the cam-arm....easy to do- you've had the practice, so just add another one....addaed insurance   *smile* and  maybe with a stainless hinge
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 14.09. 2019 22:18 »
G'day Richard.
Go to the top of the class (leave your books, you'll be back later)  *lol*
This could almost make you an honorary Aussie.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.09. 2019 23:06 »
Dutch,

I did start out with the idea of fashioning a clevis to fit into the cable clevis, but when I thought of all the sawing of the notch and tang, the next thought into my head was, "to hell with it."

Richard L.

I'm thinking others might use this topic for their own bodge true confessions.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.09. 2019 00:51 »
OK Dutch,

Got me thinking. No need for one-piece clevis. I'll go the sandwich route (not Hawaii) and post a photo when I get around to it.

RIchard L.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 15.09. 2019 02:08 »
Don’t blush Richard

I have a chain split link on mine 😃

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 15.09. 2019 02:23 »
What a wonderful idea Muskrat, I totally agree Richard will be required to emigrate to Australia and will be renamed WOMBAT. We could even vote him into Canberra as our PM he is obviously far more capable than the one we have now.
SORRY RICHARD, THIS IS AN ORDER....NO BACK CHAT OR EXCUSES, WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU DESPERATELY

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 15.09. 2019 07:37 »
I can get a mate to fake ID and birth records. Vote 1 Wombat.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7