Author Topic: royal choppers tanks  (Read 1286 times)

Offline briancrossy

• Moving Up
royal choppers tanks
« on: 19.09. 2019 01:20 »
hi all  I have just acquired a 1949 rigid a7 in bits and am in the process of restoration  The bike was stripped 20 years ago and the petrol tank has a few chips from knocks it received in storage. It is all painted as the original chrome was not up to scratch. I am eventually going to get rechromed etc in the future but have noticed a tank for sale from India on Ebay made by Royal Choppers in Delhi.After going through the 79 pages in the forum on frames etc I believe that some makers of these Indian tanks are better than others and wondered if anyone had used Royal Choppers before as they do chainguards and mudguards too.  Regards Brian

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: royal choppers tanks
« Reply #1 on: 19.09. 2019 08:40 »
hi all  I have just acquired a 1949 rigid a7 in bits and am in the process of restoration  The bike was stripped 20 years ago and the petrol tank has a few chips from knocks it received in storage. It is all painted as the original chrome was not up to scratch. I am eventually going to get rechromed etc in the future but have noticed a tank for sale from India on Ebay made by Royal Choppers in Delhi.After going through the 79 pages in the forum on frames etc I believe that some makers of these Indian tanks are better than others and wondered if anyone had used Royal Choppers before as they do chainguards and mudguards too.  Regards Brian

Here's the web page  -  http://www.royalchoppers.in/prod_list.php?&brand_id=5&brand_name=BSA&page=1 
and   -   http://www.royalchoppers.in/
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.09. 2019 09:18 »
Hi Brian and  *welcome*.
Please will you go to Introductions and 'spill the dirt', with pictures if possible.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.09. 2019 09:47 »
I've used Royal Choppers for saddle springs etc. Seem to be fine. I think they are wholesalers rather than manufacturers. So the quality of the tank would depend where they chose to obtain it from.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.09. 2019 10:02 »
It would be good if Indian stuff was sold by local retailers so we could more easily return stuff if no good. Obviously, introducing a retailer to the process would increase the cost but I think buyers would be happier to buy from a national supplier.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Bess

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 19.09. 2019 10:10 »
Hi,
    I have bought 2 tanks from them and 1 on the way. The A10 tank fuel cap never had a seal which was easy to fix and the badge clips were not the best so I used silicone to ensure they didn't fall off.

I bought off Ebay and used best offer with a substantial discount, he has them made to order so there will be a delivery delay. As they are made to order he will change paint colours and add things like badges etc. Always worth asking if you have particular ideas, I have a A65 tank on its way without the knee pad screw holes.

I would use him again.

Best wishes...

Offline briancrossy

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 19.09. 2019 13:27 »
hi all   Thanks for the replies  .This is the tank in question         https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291979623443?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649  It looks ok as far as tunnel and petrol tap location so if i do order i suppose i will have to run a tap down all the threads and make sure the inside is clean and protected for storage till use   

Offline Bess

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 19.09. 2019 14:13 »
Hi,
    I agree, I had to run a tap through all the threads and use Slosh to seal the inside. I would offer £125 and see if he counter offers. If you are lucky he will have a friend bring the tank in his luggage and post in the UK saving on import duties. That just happened to me for some A65 side covers, I still paid the quoted postage but is well worth it.

Best wishes...

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.09. 2019 14:16 »
hi all   Thanks for the replies  .This is the tank in question         https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291979623443?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649  It looks ok as far as tunnel and petrol tap location so if i do order i suppose i will have to run a tap down all the threads and make sure the inside is clean and protected for storage till use

Lordy be careful with the tap. I believe i bought mine from royal crusaders or somesuch.

I bought it raw, than had it chromed.

I ran a tap down the knee pad holes and proceeded to snap a tap off in the last chrome plugged hole. *eek*

A bunch of nervous time and a carbide dental burr got it cleared, but what a situation to put yourself in.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 19.09. 2019 15:10 »
This is the tank in question
I don't see studs for a tank brace at the front. Should it have them?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline briancrossy

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 19.09. 2019 18:49 »
My original tank does not have them. The tank is now ordered at a reasonable discount so fingers crossed

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 19.09. 2019 18:50 »
Before you put it away check by filling to the brim and leaving for a day or so.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA