Author Topic: Front mudguard mounting stud location  (Read 535 times)

Offline Whipstrut

• Moving Up
Front mudguard mounting stud location
« on: 05.10. 2019 00:24 »
Hello all. Would it be possible for one of you to provide me with the distance from the front axle centerline to the bottom stud on the lower leg please. Secondly, the distance between the two studs, and the diameter of the studs. I’m going to attempt to fabricate a bracket to use a newer mudguard on my early lower legs.
Thanks very Much!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Front mudguard mounting stud location
« Reply #1 on: 05.10. 2019 00:53 »

Nought to do with me but probs need to know precisely which model/type of forks/ legs - a picture might help too
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Whipstrut

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 05.10. 2019 01:05 »
Sorry. ‘54 Golden Flash with original, (non locking) front end, and the mudguard mounting tabs welded to the lower legs. Plate #12. I want to replicate the mounting scheme of the later model lower legs.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.10. 2019 09:38 »
Later leg mudguard mounting consists of a Y bracket supported by two studded bosses welded to the leg. Studs are at approx 25mm/1" centres to match the bracket, top stud centre positioned 78mm/3" from bottom of the oilseal holder thread. Bottom stud centre positioned  159mm/6 1/4" from spindle centre. Studs were 5/16" cycle thread/ (8mm equivalent diameter.)

A word of caution. Welding anything on the legs will distort the bore, and stands a good chance of  wrecking them. Better to source  the later parts, but in the meantime stick to the original plan to use your early legs and fabricate a bracket to support the later mudguard from the existing mountings. In a word, don't modify genuine original parts, but by all means cut and shut modern repro parts from who knows where.

Swarfy.

Offline Whipstrut

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 05.10. 2019 16:55 »
Mr. Swarfy, Thank you for the measurements, they were exactly the information I require to attempt making brackets to use the “later” front mudguard on my “early” lower legs.
Putting this great machine back together after so many years in storage has been one of the highlights of my retirement. So many good people from the four corners of the globe
willing to share their knowledge just to help some guy way up in Seattle realize a goal. Fantastic.
Next goal is for my daughter and I to figure out how to post pictures so we can show the progress to all of you. Hope we can accomplish this soon.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 05.10. 2019 20:37 »
G'day Whipstrut.
I imagine you will be making a bracket out of a tube cut length ways with studs welded on. Then clamped to the fork legs. Will you still use the front and rear brackets? I think you would need to.
Cheers.

ps: Regarding posting pictures https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=427.0
pps: We have another member in Seattle WA, Rgs-Bill
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Whipstrut

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 06.10. 2019 20:34 »
Good day all. Using the provided dimensions from Swarfy, lo and behold the holes in the tab almost exactly match the stud location on the later parts. 1.187” “south” of the stud locations if you will. If using the later model mudguard is what I finally decide on, getting it to work on my early parts should be fairly easy. One thing I find a little annoying is that the manufacturers don’t use the six configurations listed by Priory Magnetos when advertising the “repop” mudguards. Sure would make things easier in the land of “no BSA shops”.