Author Topic: Greetings from Brisbane  (Read 1538 times)

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
Greetings from Brisbane
« on: 20.01. 2020 10:54 »
Hi guys. New to the forum here as I've recently started the slow, laborious and somewhat expensive project of building a 53 A10 Superflash out of a couple of boxes of sad parts. Have been reading through a number of threads here which have been extremely useful in answering my questions. History has mainly been Triumphs and Harley's, but I saw this odd looking BSA motor on ebay, so thought I'd give it a crack. Be prepared for lots of questions as I progress through the rebuild. Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Greetings from Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: 20.01. 2020 11:49 »
Welcome SF, ask away we're a freindly tolerent group, good luck with the project
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.01. 2020 12:07 »
SF,

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to the story, the questions and lots of photos.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.01. 2020 16:53 »
 *welcome*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 20.01. 2020 17:10 »
 *welcome*

You’re in the right place !

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #5 on: 22.01. 2020 17:06 »
Hi SF, welcome to the forum. I am getting near to completing my Superflash and was lucky to have started with an almost complete bike as a project. My avatar is the bike as I got it. Any help I can give you please ask.

You mentioned in another listing about part numbers. Do you have the BSA A7 / A10 1949 to 53 parts book with the supplement at the back showing Superflash parts? I also have a copy of bulletin given to US dealers with the clutch parts listed that were not in the main book (attached).

You also mentioned you had a standard head that came with the project and a re looking for a correct one. Are you sure yours is incorrect? A correct one would have a casting number of 67-251 (same as a standard A10 head) and a small 966 stamped under the left hand side of the inlet branch.

Cheers, John
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 22.01. 2020 18:31 »
Welcome aboard! Good luck with that interesting project.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 23.01. 2020 03:55 »
Hi John. Thanks for the offer of assistance....I certainly think I'm gonna need it. After your comment about the Head part number, I went back to the parts list that I have, and you're probably right. I was looking at 67-0965 which is for a complete head. The number I have matches what you suggested, so all good there. All the valve gear part numbers match the SF list, and are all new. So far I have replaced the following with new parts - Valve gear, push rods, cam and cam followers, pistons and 1 x con rod, mains and big ends, (got crank ground to .020 under. New piston set (.040 over) and cylinders bored, SRM oil pump (because why not???), new timing side bush, all the others look ok. New engine breather oil pressure relief valve and the little spring and ball inside the timing case. All new nuts, bolts, washers and studs throughout.

When I bought the motor on EBAY, he reckoned it was only missing 1 valve.....yeh right. What I've done/bought here is just to replace what really wasn't there.

So, once I get all this together, then I'll worry about such exciting things like electronic ignition, converting an old 2nd hand dynamo to 12v, and look at using a 376/80 carby that I picked up along the way as well. Have got a fairly decent gearbox with 6 spring clutch set-up that I will refurbish with new parts. It only has the duplex primary drive, but I'm ok with that. Not getting too carried away with "must be original". The original idea was to build a bobber, but if I can keep the over-all appearance similar to original, then that will just be a bonus. Regards
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #8 on: 23.01. 2020 08:53 »
Hi Tony, glad to be of help and great that the head was correct. Have you got the correct frame and any of the correct tin ware as well? Cheers, John
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #9 on: 25.01. 2020 03:29 »
Sounds like a great project and you have the advantage of having Mike Reilly parts and expertise not far away!
look forward to seeing pictures and hearing progress.
The super flashes are pretty rare beasts and a bit more than the humble plungers can handle. Quite a few unique bits on them I recall.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 26.01. 2020 06:12 »
Hey John. At this stage I don't have any chassis parts other than a set of 2nd hand plungers. There's a guy down on the Gold Coast called Britcycles. He has a fairly wide range of early BSA parts. Most are used, but look to be in pretty good nick. Nothing a bit of sandblasting and powder coating wouldn't fix anyway. Once I've finished the motor and gearbox, then I'll start looking at a frame. I guess by buying the plungers, I've more or less committed to that path. I had originally been toying with the idea of trying to cram her into a A7 rigid frame that is for sale here. Have bought quite a few bits and pieces from Mike at Mikes Classic Spares. Am fairly lucky to have a couple of good local suppliers, although I have bought a few of the more hard to find parts from Draganfly. Once I've set up a folder for all the photo's, I'll start putting a few up. Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Dave Burke

• New
« Reply #11 on: 26.01. 2020 12:20 »
Hi SF. welcome from the SE side or brisbane. I’m currently restoring a 1953 A10 Golden Flash. Without ready all the threads, are you firmiliar with Mike Riley in Brisbane. He is a true SF man.

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 27.01. 2020 07:50 »
Gidday Dave. If he's the bloke that owns'/runs Mikes Classic Spares, then yes I've bought a few bits and pieces off him, however have yet to have a chat. I'm also thinking that I should probably have a look at joining the local BSA Owners Club. Sounds like they meet monthly down Beenleigh way. Cheers
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 27.01. 2020 08:48 »
Hey guys, just done a dry run to see what little honey traps I'd fall into. Putting the front engine mounts on before the dynamo is a goody...only took 3 attempts... *conf*
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 27.01. 2020 09:14 »
      Super Flash......Next trap for the unwary.

The engine plates pictured are from a S/A frame, and won't fit the earlier plunger/rigid type.

As experience tells us, squeezing a fully loaded engine unit into a newly refinished frame is a nightmare, and it is far easier to build the motor into the frame. Crankcases and attached gearbox are quite manageable, the web above the camshaft makes a good lifting handle.

Swarfy.