Author Topic: Centre stand mounting  (Read 1820 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Centre stand mounting
« on: 16.08. 2009 10:17 »
Is it possible to repair the centre stand frame mounting plates without stripping the bike down to the bare frame? Yesterday I put the bike up on the centre stand only to find that the rear wheel was touching the ground. On close inspection the holes in the frame plates were noticeably elongated.  My first thought was to have some bushes made up but I am not sure that there would be enough material left to allow for the process of restoring the holes to a true round holes, and then there is the added complication of ensuring that the holes would be in line. Has anyone else had this problem? And if you have, how did you achieve an effective repair? As it happens I do not use the centre stand very often, I tend only to use it for timing the engine, and adjusting the chain or cleaning the wheel rims. By the way this is a swing arm frame.

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Re: Centre stand mounting
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2009 12:31 »
Hi,

I have just fixed mine, replaced the bolts which were worn, added material to the edge of the lip in both the frame and on the stand and filed back to profile, looks alot better.
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2009 18:58 »
Mine had worn oval and I made bushes and a new pin etc but the bike was in bits. I would think the only possibility for a complete machine would be to remove the petrol tank, and battery and drain the oil and lie the bike on it's side.
All the best.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2009 21:36 »
Hi A10,
Another approach is to make up a good solid tube that will fit between the stand plates and weld this in the correct place, I made mine from 3/4 round bright mild steel drilled through 1/2in
This provies a long bearing for the stand pivot, I drilled and tapped a hole in its centre for a grease nipple.
In normal use the pin wants to bend in the centre, this prevents that happening.
I made a new pivot pin with a head on one end and a thread on the other, nipping up the nut on this gives the stand a little squeez, prevents side play and keeps the stand on the frame stops!
HTH
Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2009 22:14 »
I had also heard of this approach John (Chaterlea) and did the same on my red A10, it's probably the easiest solution to worn centre stand lugs, good idea to add the grease nipple in the centre. However I dont think its a bad thing having the rear wheel on the ground especially if one needs to sit on bike to kick start it. (takes weight off the stand)

Maybe the secret to prevent wear on those lugs, although a bit late now as the bikes are fifty and more years old... I always ease the bike down once the stand has gone over the vertical part and of course keep the joints well greased, dunno why I bother as there is copious amounts of oil under there!
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red