Author Topic: Belt drive  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
Belt drive
« on: 16.08. 2009 10:28 »
Does anyone have any info on these Hayward primary belt drive kits? Apart from the price ( I should think they are dear) anyone fitted one, Just researching moment, cheers Tone.

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
Re: Belt drive
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2009 03:48 »
Tone,
  I ran a  Hayward primary kit on my triumph T110 for about 8 years and have had one on my A10  for the last 3 .From this you may deduce that i am very pleased with them.Best thing to do is ring him up .He is always willing to talk about his products (It can be hard to get him to stop).
  if you wish to purchase one, do what I did and get one of those special silver recorded delivery envelopes from the post office and tell him you will be sending cash.
 I run mine dry so no oil leaks and once set up i have not had to adjust it. The kit does away with the original crankshaft shock absorber but uses a triumph cltch centre with built in cush drive.I use the SRM hex head crankshaft nut ( I think I may have had to slightly mod the nut ,not sure now)
I also use a nylon lined cable and those nice alloy replica Amal brake/clutch levers you can get. his clutch plates are higher friction than original BSA so you can slacken off the clutch springs.All the above means i have a clutch that can easily be operated with one finger although in pratice its more convenient to use 2 .
I think I remeber him saying he does a wider/stronger belt for compettition use.
 I also use his dynamo belt drive kit and have not looked at it in 3 years.
People will tell you that if you run a dry primary you will have to keep taking it apart to grease the clutch roller bearing.In practice I have not found this to be true.Bearing (ha ha) in mind that the bearing only revolves when the  clutch lever is pulled in to change gear ,as long as you dont sit at traffic lights in gear and always go into neutral whenever possible its fine.When I looked at my triumphs clutch bearing after about 8000  miles although the grease had long been flung out.the bearing showed no signs of distress.Ive not bothered looking at the BSA's clutch bearing (7500 miles).
 On the Triumph I made a 6mm thick ( 3mm would probably have done)spacer from aluminium (like a thick metal gasket ) as I was unable to fit the outer chain case.on the BSA i did not have this problem and the case fitted straight on.
Mike