Author Topic: Front fork fettling  (Read 451 times)

Offline Will

• Moving Up
Front fork fettling
« on: 13.03. 2020 17:58 »
A10 fork sliders have a couple of dings where the mudguard studs are and are obstructing the bush passing and lower down on the other slider , I have been trying to rub them out all afternoon, anyone got any tips ideally they need matching out

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: Front fork fettling
« Reply #1 on: 13.03. 2020 19:01 »
You could try some Emery flap wheels, mount them on a power drill flexible drive, alternatively you could attach some emery to a round dowl to attempt to reach the damaged area, not an easy task but might salvage your legs.
Second hand legs do appear on Ebay, but they are normally not the version you require.
A decent machine shop might have a solution by hone or grind function.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Will

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 13.03. 2020 19:08 »
You could try some Emery flap wheels, mount them on a power drill flexible drive, alternatively you could attach some emery to a round dowl to attempt to reach the damaged area, not an easy task but might salvage your legs.
Second hand legs do appear on Ebay, but they are normally not the version you require.
A decent machine shop might have a solution by hone or grind function.

Thanks Billy that’s what I been doing i gave up after 4 hours only a slight improvement

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 13.03. 2020 19:26 »
G'day Will.
If I had that problem (which I haven't) I'd make a dolly/drift long enough to get past the tight spot by a few inches and same diameter as the bush plus 1 thou". Push in until it gets to the tight spot and use a gas torch to heat that spot till the dolly can be pushed past.
DISCLAIMER this is just a thought, might work/might not.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2020 09:40 »
I used the round dowel + emery to clean up my forks and you are right it takes hours! I used to do it for some time then leave it and come back a few days later and do a bit more etc etc, but I got there in the end  ;) - my dowel rod though wasn't fully round, I had 2 flat sides and 2 round sides, maybe that made it easier??

Offline Will

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2020 17:48 »
Thanks Jules I have just made a tool with 28 mm flap wheel and some threaded bar hopefully that will make it easier  *smile*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.03. 2020 18:04 »
    The downside of removing too much material from the slider is that it obviously thins the tube.   

For a big ding, Musky's way is worth a try.  A plug to fit the tube, tapered at both ends and with a nice piece of threaded bar to enable it to be pulled out, hammered in with a little bit of red heat should do it.  Taper on the topside gives a second bite on the way out. Not too much heat, or they will stick. Not ideal, but worth a go in the absence of any prospect of coming across a better part in the short term.

Add..Musky's disclaimer.

Swarfy.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.03. 2020 18:46 »
The advice I got from an engineer at our local town when saying I had a fork leg I intended to take a dent out of - heat both side of the fork, the ding and opposite it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco