Author Topic: Centre Stand  (Read 727 times)

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
Centre Stand
« on: 21.04. 2020 11:47 »
Hi all, thought I'd have a look at the centre stand fitment before fitting the engine/gearbox back into the frame of my 1956 GF s/a. First of all the stud that I had filed with the stand is obviously wrong because its too short! not sure what happened there so can somebody tell me what its supposed to be size wise please, can I use a bolt ilo stud? here's some pics and questions :
1. the up position seems ok, but the down position appears too far forward such that I think it will sit on the points of the stand not the flats, is that right? another pic shows the stop shapes at the top, are they about right?
2. the stand is 2 pieces welded together, is that right (it looks original but not very good!)?
3. the lugs on the frame appears to be an assembly welded to the lower tube making it more robust, is that standard?
In summary, it fits ok and the pivot holes are good, but the above questions bother me a bit, thanks for your thoughts..

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: 21.04. 2020 11:54 »
Maybe there's a little wear taking it a tad further forward than ideal, but otherwise seems about right.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.04. 2020 14:14 »
Hi Jules,
It looks like the half tube welded onto the cross tube that the stand rests on when the stand is down is worn?
Maybe some wear on the stand stop too?
A little there makes a big difference
The stand pivot bolt holes look "small" ?
I believe they should be 1/2 in.
On one of my bikes with the same type stand there is a sleeve through the stand that is clamped by the bolt, making a bigger bearing area ???

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 21.04. 2020 19:01 »
Looks to me like the sleeve John is referring to is stuck in the stand. Also, the stand mounts look non-original as though somebody has done a repair, a pretty good repair actually. Those early centre stands did stand on 'tip-toe'. The position of yours doesn't look too bad. The main problem with the earlier stands was the lack of leverage to get the bike on the stand.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 22.04. 2020 09:33 »
Wonder if that "sleeve" is not some "push fit" in the stand.
If so, that would be a good idea. If the stand wears out, it's just a matter of pushing in a new sleeve.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 22.04. 2020 13:12 »
thanks for the thoughts to date.....so the "tiptoes" points of contact is ok then, I thought maybe it was supposed to sit on the flats, but then it maybe too far back to be stable, hence that question, thanks for clarifying...
According to the parts book the sleeve is a separate part, so that appears correct, however, I think it must have been replaced at some stage because the grease nipple doesn't pass through into the sleeve!
I found the correct stud too and its 7/16" but worn and needs replacing....
What really bothers me most is the fact that its made of 2 halves welded together (and not great welding either!) both halves have the same part no. 42-4721 cast into them too, and the parts book refers to 42-4725 "centre stand assy", so is this all normal (and safe)??

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #6 on: 22.04. 2020 19:16 »
without crawling under my bike I can still say my 1955 stand is same as yours but grease hole goes through

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.04. 2020 22:28 »
The stand pivots on the sleeve which is held tightly between the frame brackets.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 22.04. 2020 23:13 »
Hi
Welded together is correct.
I had to re weld mine and continued the weld all the way round the joint between the two halves
Bored the stand pivot out till round and made a new bush
I made replacement frame pivots and the 1/2 tube that the stand sits against

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 23.04. 2020 03:16 »
ok thanks all, looks like its all "normal" then ...…... *eek* regarding the bush though Trev, I think you are saying that the stand (is supposed to) rotate around the bush ie the bush is a "bearing" which means the stud and bush are locked together and the stand rotates on the bush, is that right?
Clearly mine hasn't done that for years because the stud is worn, so the bush/stand assy. has been rotating around the stud, but Trev's explanation does explain why the grease nipple lube hole doesn't pass through the bush! cheers...

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 23.04. 2020 22:08 »
That's exactly what I mean, Jules.