Author Topic: oil tank woes  (Read 957 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
oil tank woes
« on: 21.08. 2009 13:26 »
Hi chaps,
I now know why I vowed 25 years ago that I would never build a bike starting from scratch again (when I built a 1952 plunger starting with just a frame). I know A10s are not the most complex machine and I know some of you guys know every nook ,cranny and part number off by heart,in your sleep with one hand tied behind your back etc.,but when you havnt dissassembled the bike yourself its all the spacers,bushes brackets and fasteners that prove tricky even with a parts book.
My current problem is with the oil tank(on my swinging arm Spitfire lookalike ,again starting from just a frame ), Ive just cut the back out ,cleaned out thouroughly inside all the grit ,metals and other detritus which I honestly dont think I could have 100% without the surgery, TIGd the back, back in and tested for leaks.
I put the rear fixing bolt in by the top shock mount with its rubber insert and nipped it up, but now however I pivot the tank either its too high and the top seam hits the underside frame tube,or if I drop it down and the lower oil union thread hits the frame rail adjacent to it.?
The other fixing which is a bit heath robinson even for BSA  also appears out of line somewhat.
Am I missing somthing, is there only one sort of tank or is it all a bit of a tight fit?
Im also thinking of putting an additional rubber mount on the lower part of the tank as the others looks a bit marginal , any thoughts on this.
Cheers Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
Re: oil tank woes
« Reply #1 on: 22.08. 2009 08:05 »
Hi Spyke,
      this might sound like a silly question, but do you have the rubber pad between the back of the tank and the frame, this kicks the tank outward slightly and may help with the clearance issue? I have mine cable tied to the frame right next to the "heath robinson" mounting.
   Just a thought, hopefully helpful.
                                Richie
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 22.08. 2009 08:50 »
Yes I do have the rubber pad there its about 3/16 thick, but I know what you mean because if it were thicker it does throw the tank out and give the union a bit more clearance.

Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #3 on: 22.08. 2009 16:47 »
Ah well, worth a try, anyway i can sympathise with you regarding building your bike from bits, as mine was a badly built chop when i got it , and the only bits left off the original bike i bought are the engine and a few other small bits, so i am still discovering the whereabouts of various bits of bracketry etc. But anyway,restoring a complete bike would be too easy wouldn`t it?
                                    cheers,
                                                Richie
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger