Author Topic: Tin Shields  (Read 320 times)

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
Tin Shields
« on: 30.05. 2020 18:14 »
Hi Everybody,

I'm putting the engine in the frame.  There are 3 "tin shields" for want of a better description.  The first curves down from the battery tray over the top of the gear box and the other 2 surround the dynamo at the front of the frame.  They are proving a real pain to fit and I wonder if they are really necessary.  I am very tempted to just bin them.  What does everyone else do?

Regards to all

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: Tin Shields
« Reply #1 on: 30.05. 2020 19:21 »
I must admit my bike never had the rear one fitted when i got it in 1987. have had lots of fun fitting the front dynamo covers, strange how they almost fall off when being dismantled but resist stubbornly to go back. If you got some nice new paint on them that will add to awkwardness i'm sure. Not sure how you can mount the engine without the front ones unless you make up some brackets? Powder coating can be rather thick and add to the fun. Good luck and stick with it. Someone more able than me will advise i'm sure.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
Re: Tin Shields
« Reply #2 on: 31.05. 2020 14:29 »
Hi BigJim,

Thanks for that.  You were spot on.

Finally got the rear plate on.  Problem turned out to be following Haynes and leaving the mounting bolts 'loose'.  The plate wouldn't span the gearbox mounts until the bolts were pulled up.

Never realized the front plates were engine mounts!  It's what happens when you get a bike as a bucket of bits and you've never seen one before.  The frame and front plates are powder coated and yes, all the clearance has been lost for a sensible fit.  Time for the angle grinder!

Best Regards