Author Topic: Newbie introduction  (Read 542 times)

Offline Speedy

• Moving Up
Newbie introduction
« on: 22.07. 2020 09:57 »
Thankyou  for the privilege of being a member of this select group of enthusiastic owners of what is a iconic institution of British engineering and a world heritage, that we hope will never be lost.
My Bsa is somewhat of a problem, in as much that I have owned it since the age of 19, unfortunately I have not had this bsa on the road for 40 years.
The usual thing's like getting married  and the children staying at home until they are in their 40s, so as you may gather from this iam retired now.
But one of the things I have not mentioned is that I put this bike down the road, coming off as speed as you did when you were young. Which brings me to the point that my bike is a Rocket Gold Star,it was built with the last letter of the registration number being "G" which makes it a 1969 bike. And it was built by Eddie Dow,  the frame is a goldstar frame with the  kink for the oil pump. I still have the original log book, but it has never been updated to the paper version of today. So I will need to send it off to be updated at some point.
I do not want to get into arguments about dates and things, just pointing out that if you have enough money someone will build the bike you want to the spec you require.
Now back to me,  as previously stated I am retired and just after retirement being diagnosed with cancer  so for the last two years my bike restoration has been put on hold.  I have been looking at things on Ebay and found quite a few parts to rebuild. I am in hospital at the moment having  stem cell transplant.  So bear with me on posting pictures of the bike.
Thank you all for being dedicated to the noble art of motorcycles.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: Newbie introduction
« Reply #1 on: 22.07. 2020 10:07 »
It's no fun being on the inside of an oncology ward and looking out. I spent a lot of time contemplating my favourite bike roads and if or when I would be able to ride them again. When I finally emerged, the only bike I could cope with was the B31. Anything else was too big, fast and scary. It took a while before I had the strength and confidence to get back on the A10. But I did. *smile* 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 22.07. 2020 10:42 »
G'day Speedy  *welcome* I hope your recovery is the same.
Your bike sounds to be very special. Best of luck with the resto.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.07. 2020 13:39 »
Welcome *welcome*

I tapped 'Like' even though I don't like what you told us about your health. I really hope you get your bike back on the road and get some enjoyment from it.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.07. 2020 15:22 »
HI Speedy and welcome, sorry to hear your predicament I'm similar but prostrate, covid and a couple of blood stalled ops has held my treatment back but I'm fine apart from contemplating the need for a bra, once again welcome and best of luck
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 22.07. 2020 15:36 »
Speedy as Billsaid welcome to this wonderful forum. Sorry t hear of your health problems and wish you well in your recovery. These bikes get in your very being ,mine was wactly the same story except got mine when I was 17  now 70  whilst in storage lost some parts to thieves but mostly after mortgage ,kids and life in general got her back together and have now been back on the road since2003 .  Re the registration with whats sounds like an unusual bike I'd suggest you join the BSA owners club and they can advise the best way for ward ,best wishes Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 22.07. 2020 15:50 »
HI Speedy and welcome, sorry to hear your predicament I'm similar but prostrate, covid and a couple of blood stalled ops has held my treatment back but I'm fine apart from contemplating the need for a bra, once again welcome and best of luck
I think the bra comment may be because they give men with prostate cancer estrogen. My brother-in-law had that treatment. He got the hot flushes, just like a woman during menopause. He lives in a camper van so life got difficult for him having to frequently wash his bed linen.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.07. 2020 16:42 »
just like a woman during menopause.

yep sweats and they tell me I can be irritable ( I call it revenge)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 22.07. 2020 16:54 »
Can't see the reasoning behind estrogen for cancer. If anything it's excess estrogen that causes it -with men, it's a lack of testosterone, not too much. Our testosterone levels drop off sharply when we get older, and that's when prostrate problems start.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 22.07. 2020 21:49 »
Can't see the reasoning behind estrogen for cancer.
Whatever it is RDfella it slows down the growth, but does give you boobs and put on weight (belly), I'm living on fresh air but still can't get rid, I'm about 6 7 kilos over what I'd like to be, but it holds thing up until you get Radio therapy, that is waiting till after I have a small laser op that will allow my bladder to fully empty.
Ha better get back on subject or we'll be turning new members off
All the best - Bill

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 22.07. 2020 23:05 »
Thanks for posting, wishing you all the best.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline MickFarmer64

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 11.08. 2020 09:35 »
Hi Speedy, welcome to the forum. Hope everything goes well & all the best for a speedy recovery.
1959 Super Rocket

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #12 on: 13.08. 2020 01:24 »
Hi Speedy, *welcome* hope you get well soon, the older I get the more I realize how lucky I am (82 1/2) and not had any real problems, still getting out on my A10 & 7 though the A10 is in dry dock at present getting brake drums skimmed to hopefully improve the brakes, that is one of the problems with the old bikes now as the linings are not as good as they use's to be.
Look forward to some pic when you feel up to it.
Cheers from down under,
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA