Author Topic: Little to no clearance with valanced front mudguard, A7 plunger  (Read 394 times)

Offline simmsy53

• Active
Hi All
I'm  reassembling an A7 plunger after a long break (11 years) since it was dismantled. Now I've got it all together there is  little to no clearance between the front tyre and valanced mudguard, and I can hear the tyre rubbing when the bike is pushed around . I've reassembled with the brackets attached to the mudguard located behind the corresponding lugs on the fork legs. Is this correct or should they be on the outside of the lugs? Could anything else be causing this?
Thanks
Peter

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Hi, can you upload some pictures please?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I'm away from home at the moment. Does this picture help?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
is it catching on one side, if so check the wheel is central between the forks, it does not take very much to move it across by tightening on side spoke and slacken the opposite (possible just a half turn)

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
What size is the shiny new tyre?
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
For a start, brackets should be as in Neil's pic, outside of fork sliders.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline simmsy53

• Active
Here hopefully are some pics of how i've attached the mudguard and the clearance to the tyre on each side.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
 From your pictures the mudguard/shroud clearance looks maybe on the large side, more often the guard almost kisses the shroud. The centre of the mudguard bridge/fork brace clears the tyre by at least an inch, and if the wheel rotates centrally should not catch on this or the guard.

Possible reasons for the problem are  distorted or incorrect parts, incorrect assembly, even simply a tyre which although is the right size, has a different moulded profile from a 1950's example.  Front rim was originally WM2 Profile, standard tyre 3.25 X 19.

Make sure the wheel and brake drum are located correctly to the right leg, spindle tightened, then that fork legs are aligned correctly, pumping the forks a few times to settle them parallel and checking again before tightening up pinch bolts and top nuts.

Other possible is a bent fork leg, often overlooked if the previous owner positioned the bent leg to point in or out, rather than front to back. Telltale sign on a bike with a diver's helmet cowl is that the line of the cowl rim is up on one side, down on the other compared to the headlamp, as the yokes are positioned for the best compromise position to disguise the fault. Yup, found this the hard way!  Thought the cowl was wrong, no it was a bent leg.

Should be an easy fix, just a bit of detective work.

Swarfy.